Chapter 49: Shadow of Naginata Blades

Yun Ren Xie opened her eyes, the blinding sunlight immediately welcomed her. She tried to move her arm however, the pain was too strong that she needs to lay down once more. Glancing beside her is a place unknown, green bushes with large trees and currently, she was laying on a grassy land.

Her eyes wandered around only to find Saito with a disheveled appearance. His clothes being swarmed by dust, long black hair that were spread all over, his face flushed pale, seemingly dead. Bruises were on his skin.

In anxiousness, she hastily went beside him, ignoring the pain all over her body. She leaned closer, trying to listen at his heartbeat. Thankfully, Saito is still breathing but it is weak.

"Baoshi!" she called out. Within a second, her little guide appeared out of nowhere.

"Host! This is not good! We need to revive the third male lead! Our mission will fail if this do!" Baoshi's face was full of worry. This is only the second mission yet its already happening. The first plane is an exception since Gu Ling and Li Si have no male lead halo but this...... Saito have a great male lead halo thus losing him is equal to losing your life three times.

"The bottle of life source! Quick, give it to me!" Yun Ren Xie reached out her hand and Baoshi placed a two small porcelain bottle on her host's palm.

Yun Ren Xie calmed her self first before drinking the one bottle of life source, a light taste with pure warmth and small lingering taste of sweetness was left in her. Her strength slowly got restored and the pain vanished without a trace. She glanced at her brother then pulled him nearby a tree that was standing alone at the waterbank of a small lake.

She made Saito lean on the trunk while she tore a piece of cloth from her kimono, dampening it with the cold lake water. Yun Ren Xie wiped the mud and bruises on his face. She felt quite guilty, it was because of her that her brother is now at the brink of death.

After a while, she sighed heavily before putting all of the life source from the next bottle in her mouth before kissing Saito. Yun Ren Xie knew its not a good sight however, she needs to make Saito drink the life source in order to save him, that way she can finish her last mission without worrying.

She finally let go then covered her lower face with her hand. "Not good, this....." she seems to regret doing so but remembering how Saito sacrificed everything yesterday in order to save her.

Her eyes went red, anger filled her heart. The memories from yesterday entered her mind. A day after meeting Souji, Saito have finally got approved by his leave by Kondo and came to Soma the next morning, saying they can leave and visit their parents at the outskirt of Tokyo.

She was riding inside the carriage while Saito is riding the horse beside it. Ishi is with her inside as they were chatting freely, an arrow was sent inside, digging right in Ishi's heart.

Baoshi isnt there to warn her that time, telling Baoshi to guard Hijikita since their third mission is still five percent away from success rate. She did not expect someone will ambush them.

Yun Ren Xie quickly went outside the carriage, only to see mountain of corpses with dark suit. Saito and a masked person with the same dark suit are fighting each other.  However, Saito seems to be at the disadvantageous side.

"Stop!" she yelled, a dark naginata materialized with translucent red blade. Her eyes immediately turned into the color of blood, fiercely glaring at the masked man.

She tore her kimono in order to move freely before leaping down to aim at the masked man from behind. An arrow was sent flying towards her, peircing through her shoulder making a slight wound.

Even if its painful, she quickly went to the other side visible to the masked man's sight. The man of course noticed her existence, glancing at the girl after making Saito drop to the ground with numerous wounds.

Yun Ren Xie swayed her naginata, aiming at his neck. The masked man reflexed, drawing his katana and successfully making the girl loosen her grip.

She took a gander at the man but her whole body stiffened in place. Mismatched pair of eyes, red and purple, her red eyes went black as the naginata blade started to disperse. Even the man stood frenzy once he realized this was Soma.

Saito grunted, slowly standing up before aiming at the masked man's back. Another wasve of arrows emerged from the deepest part of the forest, Yun Ren Xie's heart skipped a beat. She hurriedly went to Saito's side, blocking all of the upcoming attack.

The masked man reacted quickly however, his moves were unexpected. With one wave of his sword, all the arrows dropped but its still not enough to stop the bowmen hidden within the forest.

Yun Ren Xie pulled her brother to the other side of the carriage to hide, she tried calling her shadow entity but to no avail, the presence of it never appeared. She can only depend on her skills to avoid being killed.

Suddenly, a sharp sword was placed on her shoulder. Lots more of swords were drawn around them, she looked up at her brother who is also gently staring at her. Saito moved his lips and is about to say something when she smiled which made him stop.

"Hush.... There is no goodbye. We still need to visit mother and father." Yun Ren Xie gently said. She dropped down immediately before kicking the man on its treasured gem. After releasing the sword, Yun Ren Xie caught it before the others can evem react, slowly annihilating them. Blood were blooming fervently, her white kimono being tarnished by red. Unknown from Saito's sight, his sister's previous dark iris went red as if death was the origin of its colour.

Yun Ren Xie used her strength to finish half of the soldiers but its not enough. She needs to escape or just die. If only she can show her gun in this era then the luck was on her side however, Saito is still around.

She slowly walked backwards before pulling Saito. Both were running at a certain direction, they focused on fledding the scene when Yun Ren Xie and Saito stopped at the edge of a high cliff.

"Jump." with a hoarse voice, Saito seems like pleading for it.

"But....."

"Jump. I'll protect you." even in this sort of situation, he still smile gently.

Yun Ren Xie nodded, she planned to make him pass out then take him inside the void. However, the situation reversed, just as they both jumped, Saito knocked her unconscious then pulled her body close to him. Shifting their position, Saito's back is facing the cliff.

"Soma, please survive." he can only say, holding her more tightly as they dropped on the grassy plane. Saito received most of the impact, making him open his eyes widely in pain, his mouth spitting blood.

He coughed for a while before loosening his grip. Saito felt his body went numb, the feeling of resting tenderly made his eyes dropped down, finally closing his eyelids.