The Funeral

Andrew's POV

A day later, Adeline's funeral was held. The church was packed with people. It was so packed that we had to rent out more chairs so that the people could sit.

That day I realized that people loved Adeline. Especially her art students. Adeline was a private tutor at a renowned art institute and 50% of the people who attended her funeral were either her students or colleagues.

The rest were church members and family friends and other relatives. Everyone seemed so sad and unhappy and they should be. Adeline was a very special person. She helped so many people.

She even put her life on the line and helped people. She was always polite to everyone. She never gossiped about someone. She would always invite people home and cook the most delicious meals ever, to anyone and everyone. She was one of the best human beings ever.

Sadly, the best ones make a lot of enemies. Even Adeline did but even her enemies looked sad by the fact that she died or at least they acted like it.

The funeral started at around 10 AM and I noticed a lot of people sobbing. Even I was. So were Aaron and Abi. Abi was sitting in the middle of me and Aaron and had both her arms wrapped around ours.

Soon, it was time for me to give my eulogy. With tears welling my eyes, I stood up and went to the podium, and with a shaky breath, I spoke.

"Dear Adeline,

My only regret is that our time was short. However, I know that the love we shared and the things that I learned from you will keep me going, until the day we have reunited again in heaven. I will spend my life remembering every moment we shared.

I love you from the bottom of my heart, dear Adeline"

By the end I had tears pouring down my cheeks and my vision grew blurry because of all the saltwater. Next, it was Aaron's turn. He handed me a tissue paper before walking to the front.

"There was a lot of love in my mom's life. Even though she is gone now, I know that her legacy will live on in all of us. She was an incredible mother and teacher who inspired everyone who knows her. Dear mom, your memory will live on in our hearts forever", Aaron said.

He then whispered, "I love you mom" before having a seat. Now, It was my turn to hand him a napkin. He took it gracefully and wiped his tears but... soon new tears began to well up.

Up next was Abi. The poor girl took small and slow steps towards the podium. Even with her back turned towards us, I could see that she was sniffling as she walked.

She cleared her throat and started "My lasting memories of the mom are simple: a hard-working, passionate figure of strength who never waned in her support or love of her family, who soldiered on. Even when times were tough… no matter what mom, we'll- I'll always remember you mom. I hope to see you soon in Heaven. Love you".

Next up were Adeline's parents and my parents. Then my brother. Some of Adeline's friends too gave a eulogy. Not even a single person left the podium without crying. Not even her parents.

Note that!

An hour later, we were on the burial grounds. I took one last look at my wife. So did Aaron and Abi. Poor Abi even kept a teddy bear her mom gave in the coffin.

Then, the coffin was nailed down closed. That was the last time I ever saw Adeline. After the prayer, we three went back home.

Aaron went straight up to his room and slammed the door shut to which Abi flinched. She took a few steps up the stairs before noticing that I was all alone. My dear Abi then came down again and took a seat beside me on the sofa.

She nuzzled her face into my shirt and cried " why did mom die, daddy? What did she do that was so wrong", she asked crying.

Oh my God!

I gently replied "your mom never did a thing wrong hon, she just… went too soon but trust me, everything is gonna be alright. I swear.".

I don't know if she beleived me or not but she did nod her head yes. And when I asked her if she was hungry, she nodded her head yes again.

So off I went to make lunch. Suddenly, there was a rumble of loud thunder and I heard Abi shriek and cry out "mommy". I went to check on her but she shooed me away.

I returned to the kitchen and made some ready to go mac n cheese. I am a horrible cook and that's when I realized, who the hell would cook for us? We can't live on take out food neither on ready-to-go food.

It just made me sadder. Adeline was so perfect in cooking. She always kept the house clean. So clean that I used to tell that she has OCD but now… who'd keep the house clean?

Who'd make me feel warm at night? Who'd welcome me with open arms and a long kiss when I return home? Whom would I share all my troubles too?. I don't have anyone left.

After cooking the mac n cheese, I took it out to Abi, who was staring out from the glass windows. The girl was hitting a coin against the glass, deep in thought.

When I went closer and touched her shoulders, she let out a shout which in turn got me scared and I let out a shout and sadly, my delicious bowl of mac n cheese, made with love and affection ended up on the sofa.

But, who could resist mac n cheese? Definitely not Abi. She literally grabbed it off the sofa and put a handful of the gooey food, also known for diabetic, into her mouth.

All I could think was, thank God, I didn't lose my little girl too. I was so scared that Abi would drown in her mom's death. They were really close, like really really close.

She thankfully acts the same way she always does. Carefree, naughty and weird. All I thought was how I'd ever survive without her and Aaron.