Missing Mom

Aaron's POV

Later that day, Dad came downstairs with Abi in his arms. My sister was sleeping peacefully clinging to dad.

Dad asked me if I could get him something to drink. So, I got us both 2 bottles of ginger beer straight from the fridge.

Dad looked sort of upset and when I asked him what was bothering him, he said "your sister doesn't react to reverse psychology very well".

I had to let out a laugh when he said that. Abi is really smart, that's for sure. Hope I was that smart at her age. I always used to fall prey to his tactics.

After spending some quiet time drinking and watching the news, dad had to head to the hospital for an important meeting.

He left me with the difficult task of cooking dinner which fortunately I like. I was planning on garlic tossed fried rice with some sort of Chinese gravy.

As I was preparing food, speaking to Mitchelle, I heard Abi's cries from the living room. It made my heart do a triple somersault and Mitchelle felt the same way cause she let out a shriek.

I ran to her with my hands covered in ketchup and asked her what was wrong. My little sister didn't say a word but hugged me really tight with her eyes squeezed shut.

She always will.

I wanted to hug her back but I couldn't because of the mess I would make with the ketchup but after 3 minutes of her squeezing my torso, I hugged her back.

It left nasty red stains on her tye-dyed t-shirt but I didn't care. After holding her like a piece of china glass for about 5 minutes, she finally removed her arms from the tight grip she had on me.

She was a sobbing mess and couldn't even speak properly but I finally figured out that she had a bad dream about mom. Even I had those crazy dreams. They are so bad but she's gone and she's never gonna come back.

Ohh...

I wiped the tear and snot off her face with a handkerchief and then carried her to the kitchen and placed her on the counter. Thankfully she didn't complain about the ketchup even though she noticed it and gave it a dirty stare.

I had to make dinner cause I am not very keen on ordering food from outside. I am a health freak. I like to stay fit and handsome.

I thought she would wanna talk but instead, she logged into Amazon prime and settled to watch her favorite show "Just Add Magic". It's about a magical cookbook and how 3 friends find it and they use it to uncurse one of the girl's grandmother.

That thing is for little kids. I have no idea why she likes it. Anyway, she finished almost 3 episodes by the time I finished cooking.

I grabbed the IPad from her and set it aside cause one and a half hours of screen time is enough for a day. She pouted and said some incoherent words but I let it go with a glare.

After a second of glaring at me, she said "I wanna talk to you, Aaron". It came out more like a squeak and less like a human sound.

I'll listen to my little sister any day and every day so I questioningly asked: "about what sweety".

She took a deep deep breath and said "I miss mom, Aaron. I miss her a lot. I can't even sleep without thinking about her the entire night. I can't take it anymore. I just want mommy back"

She then started crying again and started crying harder when I wrapped my arms around her in a soothing manner. The little girl was so broken and shook from mom's death.