The-That Accident

Abigail’s POV

What did you say, Ma’am? Aaron asked blondie-Mom.

Instead of giving him a direct answer mom complicated stuff by asking Aaron when he got so formal. She was confused about why he called her ‘ma’am’ and to be honest, it sounded completely ridiculous. 

I decided it was time to intervene. I didn't want to give Aaron a long explanation so… I said 'She's Mom. She remembers you! And me!'. 

Aaron glanced at mom and then back at me before giving me a confused look. I thought of how silly he was and spoke up but mom bet me to it. 

'Aaron, it's me, Adeline. I-I don't know how but when she', pointing a finger at me, mom continued 'gave me a hug I recognized Abi and then… it just came back to me.'

I expected Aaron to meltdown and even shed a few tears, it was exactly what I was doing but he didn't. Instead, he yelled at her and then… me. 'Bullshit! Abi, let's go. Don't listen to everything that people say'. 

Saying that he pulled my hand, rather harshly and he would've pulled me out if it weren't for mom. 'Aaron! Leave the little girl alone. I am telling the truth and… I am ready to tell you everything, please listen to me before it's too late… again! You made the same mistake the last time!', mom said in an angry voice which was reserved only for dad and sometimes Aaron.

Her voice sounded just like hers! American with a slight touch of a British accent. Mom spent many years in London. She went to uni there and then decided to spend a while in Europe traveling and painting landscapes. 

For some reason it made Aaron freeze at the spot but his grip on my hand remained. It increased if that's even possible. I felt like my brother wishes that I never wear sleeveless tops again! 

"What do you mean 'late again'. Huh?", Aaron demanded in a fiery tone, and all of a sudden I felt frightened. Frighten ar, Aaron. My brother. His voice was ice cold and straight out creepy.  And when he looked down at me, I saw the anger on his face. Plain anger.

'Oh yeah. You don't know. Do you? Don't you remember all the times I said I was being followed and that someone was keeping an eye on all of us? You said I was just being paranoid. You accused me of drinking a lot just because you saw me drinking one day at home when I was supposed to be at work! You thought I was an alcoholic but… I drank a lot because I was paranoid. And I had a reason to be'. 

I stood in amazement as I heard that. It was news and when Aaron started talking, I realized that this was gonna be good like tv to watch. 

'Well, mom said she was being followed a few times but then she stopped talking about it! And yeah, I had a reason to think mom was drinking a lot. She was so confused about everything. She used to be so organized and I even saw her banging on the glass door to the backyard so many times. It was clear that mom was intoxicated', Aaron's voice boomed like a bose speaker through the room. 

It clearly caught the attention of people because two nurses peaked their heads into the room and when I looked out people were looking in the direction of our room. I guess the only reason Aaron wasn't kicked out of the hospital for creating a 'nuisance' was because he owned the darn place. 

'Oh my god, Aaron! I thought you were smart and working under her radar but you turned out stupid. Don't you get it!? You said I started behaving strangely suddenly! Didn't you ever think that it wasn't me in that house because… it wasn't. I was stopped by someone and… I fled from there. I arranged for someone to take my place in our house! And that's why 'I' was acting weird.'

'And when you thought I was killed. I wasn't. The other lady was. Everyone thought I was dead but I wasn't. But 'she's' near and she won't stop at anything. 

Ok. This is too much for a day, I thought as I looked at mom in… confusion. I heard Aaron say something bad under his breath as he loosed his death grip on my hand.