The Prank

Abi let out a weak gasp when she heard what was told. She just couldn't endorse the fact that her mom wasn't her mom. She's Caroline? How?

Just as she was gonna turn back and head to her room and break down crying, Andrew let out a chuckle and said "Abi Abi Abi. How did it feel to have pranked? On your birthday?".

Abi signed in exasperation. The small yet smart girl marched towards her dad and jabbed him right in the guts. Although it was a weak hit, Andrew pretended as if he got punched by a boxer.

Abi didn't appreciate the prank at all. Not even a bit. Being pranked on her birthday over a touchy issue wasn't the best feeling ever and Abi swore that she'd pay back her parents with a much more intense prank.

But before that, she had to give her mom a big hug and kiss. Abi missed her mom so much that she felt the need to follow her everywhere to make up for the one total year they were separated.

She learned for attention from her mom. The mom who was everything to her but sadly… mommy here couldn't give a lot of attention to her middle child, the child who saved her.

Adeline was occupied the entire day with little Aahana. Changing diapers, heating up milk, and rocking the baby when it cries, took up practically every minute of her life.

Adeline was so caught up with motherhood that she couldn't spend time with Abi and Abi felt bad about it. Afterall her mom is alive because of her. Right?

But the good old kind-hearted Abi didn't take it seriously. 'Mom will make some time for me later', she thought.

She won't, Abi.

Adeline hugged Abi back and said " how about we spend the dad together. Just you and me until obviously, all the guests arrive".

Abi's face brightened with the smile but just before she replied, Aahana started crying. Much to Abi's dismay, Adeline hurried off to take care of the infant and then told Abi that she'd give the baby a bath and then spend time with her.

The sulking Abi sadly walked out of the room and slammed the door shut. She felt like crying. That bitch Aahana wanted all the attention, Abi thought.

Thankfully, before she could lock herself in her room, Aaron spotted her sulking. He ruffled up Abi's hair which was still wet from her bath.

The hair which she wanted her mom to comb. To massage her hair and braid it beautifully, just like the old days. Adeline used to massage Abi's hair with olive oil twice a week and that gave Abi's hair shine, a softness. Beauty.

Abi craved her mom's attention. She craved her mom running her sleek and long fingers through her hair. She craved to spend time with her mom. The mom she loves so much. The mom who loved her so much.

But... Does Adeline love Abi?

Aaron wrapped a hand around the sulking Abi and took her out to the backyard. There, they both took a seat in the 30 seater Gazebo.

The marble seating area of the gazebo was cold because of the air conditioning and Abi let out a shriek as she sat down on it. Her dress didn't protect her from the coldness of the marble.

Without Aaron asking her anything, Abi questioned "Aaron… don't you feel neglected because of Aahana?"

Aaron let out a chuckle. "Little sis, when you were born, I felt the same way. In fact, I hated you so much but then you slowly grew up and you were actually really fun and soon, I started liking you. So so much, that I spent all my free time with you."

Abi let out a laugh and gave her big brother a side hug. She thought that her brother is the only person who gives and will always give her all her attention.

But… if he marries and leaves? He proposed to Amanda earlier and she accepted. So, it means he'd marry and have a life of his own with his beautiful wife and small kids.

He'd leave me alone with dad and mom. Earlier, when I didn't know mom was alive, I wanted us to stay together and Aaron even agreed but now… I have mom and dad and a little baby for company. Why would he want to live with us? With me?

He'd almost forget about me after moving away. He would start a new life. A fresh life with true love. He'd be too occupied with his life that he'd forget that I ever existed.

She can't be any more wrong.

Aaron and Abi sat together, cuddling because of the cold. The topic they spoke about was 'life'. Their life and how it's changed. Changed a lot. Both in a good and bad way.

They spoke for what seemed like hours and they only departed the gazebo when they were called inside as the first guests arrived.

The two siblings found their uncle Caleb and his family. They were the only ones to arrive and they were pretty early too, which was unusual because Aubrey, the middle one usually takes a lot of time to dress up.

Surprisingly she was well dressed and not in her pajamas. The two girls, Abi and Aubrey choose to wear black to show their common personality. They both were like sisters. Doing stuff together. Getting into trouble together.

All three kids of Caleb's were super happy to see their cousin. Even though they saw them a few days ago. Kathy, the youngest, was so hyper that she jumped like a kangaroo in front of Abi, pleading her to play with her.

And Matt, the eldest, couldn't help hugging Abi. They both were very close to each other. Almost like Abi and Aaron.

All three kids were partners in crime with Abi. They are so cunning and creative in their pranks. Although a few of them went wrong. Especially the time when Abi and Aubrey decided to dye their hair with temporary dye but it instead turned out to be permanent.

And the time when they decided to mix tea with coco-cola and ended up having to drink four cans of that yucky drink as punishment. To make it simple, they are really night and cunning. Even little Kathy, who's only 6 years old.

They all ran upstairs to Abi's room as the living room was full of people decorating the area for Abi's 12th birthday party. Which was gonna be a memorable one. A really memorable one.