And 'She' Speaks

Abigail's POV

I looked down at the pendant I was gifted for my last birthday. Harry Winston, the beautiful metal box said. I remember opening it in excitement as mom told me to be careful with the box and not drop it.

It was a gift from Aaron and it was fabulous. There was a gold pair of earrings and a thin necklace with the pendant which I was wearing right now. I was in love with the set and I remember engulfing Aaron in a very tight hug telling him over and over again 'thanks' and that I loved him so much.

Later that day I asked mom to try on the set just to see how she looks in it. I remember taking back the necklace but the earrings, I am not sure.

I felt my heart skip a beat when it finally hit me that this lady has to be mom! No other way could she have gotten the hearing! The brand sold only limited versions of it and... they are so expensive as well.

Mom must've put things together because when I looked up at her, her eyes were shining. She looked just like me when I got excited. 'Anime character', Aaron used to call me when I widen my eyes like that.

But then-but then I heard someone clear their throat. Turning around I saw Aaron looking angrily at me. Well, he has every right to be angry... but he isn't my dad or mom to get angry at me. Right?

'Abi come on. James is waiting for you. And you're gonna have a question/answer session today... with the cops.', he told me.

You might as well call it an interrogation session. At least I won't be forced to answer through a third-degree like Brandon and his friends was made to when they got caught after kidnapping me. And if you're wondering James is a cop. The guy around dad's age was placed to escorted me to the hospital and back home as well.

Must've thought that a 12-year-olds gonna escape. But why would I? I didn't do anything wrong.

I know I had to go but I wanted to stay with mom. Maybe if I can talk to her and help her remember what happened with her. But a voice in my head was saying 'You idiot, you can't remember yourself what happened for an entire year, how the hell are you gonna help her'.

At least it was true. I listened in amazement during my not so pleasant stay in that mental hospital as Adam told me what took place last year and it was hard to believe that all that stuff happened to me but... my scars proved it. So did my disfigured face. There was a point when I thought I'd be better of dead than ugly.

Okay, I was just kidding but I do hate the weird shape of my head. It has a lot of bumps.

And, I know this sounds crazy but I did dream a lot about the stuff which happened the last year and when I asked Adam and Aaron if they were true, they said they w er re. At least most of them. So I do remember almost everything to do with our family, which is a good thing. It helps to put two and two together.

But... right now... by the seriousness on Aaron's face, my only option was to go but not before giving... her a hug. Giving mom a hug.

Running the few steps to mom, I flung myself on her and I was very scared to find her reaction. Through her body movement, I could sense that she was shocked as it was unexpected. Then suddenly she- she SNIFFED me.

My hands tightened around her neck as I imagined Aaron's expression. Would he be angry? Surprised? Confused? Happy...? Maybe he's quite full of surprises.

I half expected Aronn to yank me off of her but instead, I felt two arms around my shoulders, and for the first time in a while, I felt homely. Safe is the best word to describe it. I could feel mom's warmth radiating through my body and her hot breath on my hair. It felt so good.

'Abi, come on', I heard Aaron say but I didn't listen to him. Mom let me go after Aaron's command, I did too. When I looked at mom, she had a dazzled expression on her face. It looked like she was not present in the room... Her eyes showed that she was deep in thought.

I whispered 'bye, mom' into her ears and even though she didn't respond, I felt her running her fingers through my hair. Memories from a long time returned. Mom used to run her sleek and soft fingers through my hair every day before brushing my hair.

And then suddenly- one of her machines started ringing crazy. Before I know it I felt Aaron pulling me from mom and hitting the button for the doctor numerous times.

What now?

But unlike movies, where a person's heart stops beating and they intubate, mom was conscious and sitting upright. And then suddenly I realized that she was fine... well not fine. Her blood pressure increased. Thanks to all the medical dramas I watched with Aaron, I knew how to read the machine. Do you know the machine with the tv like screen?

But doesn't mean I wasn't scared but Aaron was there. He wouldn't let anything happen to anyone let alone our mother.

I stood at the entrance of the room as a doctor came running in. I wanted to take Aaron aside and tell him everything but something told me that he was even dripping into our conversation for a while. He acted so coolly!

Just as the doctor went out, James arrived. He stood by me waiting for Aaron and just as Aaron turned around, she spoke up. Mom spoke.

'Aaron, I missed you son.', Mom said almost in tears.