Chapter 97 - Don't Bully My Wife

Jiang Qi was set to spend lunch all by himself with the Ke Family as Ke Yan had left home to go back to the company earlier.

Father Ke had yet to return, and oddly this gave Jiang Qi a sense of relief. For him, facing Father Ke was even more nerve-wracking than facing Mother Ke, perhaps this was because the former had no idea of the true nature of Ke Yan's relationship with him. This was why Jiang Qi was always very vigilant of being overly affectionate with Ke Yan in front of him, but when he had seen that look that Father Ke gave him, it almost felt like the latter knew something was up, and this made Jiang Qi feel immense self-guilt.

"Where's Xiao Yan?" It was only at lunchtime that Ke Shao and Chad Wang had brought Xiao Ke downstairs, and seeing only Jiang Qi at the table prompted them to ask this.

"Something cropped up at the company, he went to go deal with it." Jiang Qi answered.

"That's right, I told Jiang Qi there was no need to go back so soon, so I asked him to stay back and accompany me shopping later."

In shock, Ke Shao turned to look at Lan Ru Yin, "Ma, you had better not have something up your sleeve."

"Just hurry up and eat." Lan Ru Yin's reply did not deny anything, but only Ke Shao knew this, Jiang Qi was still oblivious to this, and Ke Shao gave Jiang Qi a look of pity.

Jiang Qi continued to dig in, his mind was completely on what was next in the afternoon. He was thinking about how he could endear himself to Lan Ru Yin while they were shopping later, but the only issue was he had no idea what to do!

After finishing the meal, Lan Ru Yin passed the car keys to Jiang Qi, asking him, "Do you know how to drive?"

"Mm, yes I do." Jiang Qi took the car keys from her and helped her get in the car.

When they had gotten out on the main road, Lan Ru Yin who had been looking at Jiang Qi while he was driving, suddenly said, "Does Ke Yan usually drive?"

"Mm-hmm." Jiang Qi nodded.

"So to get to work, you usually hitch a ride in Ke Yan's car?"

"That's right. What's the matter?" Jiang Qi had noticed how quiet Lan Ru Yin had gotten, and softly asked.

"You didn't ask Ke Yan to buy you a car?"

By now, even Jiang Qi could hear that there seemed to be a subtext to this, and he reckoned that Lan Ru Yin must be a bit pissed at the fact that Ke Yan traveled to work with him on a daily basis. Trying to explain, Jiang Qi said, "No one sees us, yeah, they also know that Ke Yan and I used to be schoolmates... Uh, I have my own savings, I don't need Ke Yan to buy one for me."

Lan Ru Yin nearly burst into laughter when she heard Jiang Qi's ramble of an explanation, and although she did manage to suppress her mirth, an awkward cough escaped her.

Jiang Qi glanced at Lan Ru Yin out of the corner of his eye, it really was hard trying to win over this Yuemu (Mother-in-law) of his...

Really now Jiang Qi, are you sure you should be referring to her as Yuemu and not Popo?

T/N: Chinese titles for mother-in-law differ according to whose mother they are. For the husband's mother, they are usually called Popo (hence you have the timeless clash of Po 婆 Xi 媳 which is basically a Chinese social occurrence where the daughter-in-law and the mother-in-law don't get along) For the wife's mother, they are referred to as Yuemu 岳母.

Women love shopping for clothes, and Lan Ru Yin was no exception, the minute she stepped into the shopping complex, she headed straight for the Ladies Section.