Heavy is the Head

Freya's POV

That bitch broke my leg. In MANY places. Splintered the poor thing. Ambrose did good job of mending the major break. But the Aunties were the ones to make sure everything was in the right place. So here I am, leg in a cast for a few days. Thank whoever for magic healing.

"Can she walk?" Sabrina asks as Ambrose puts me down in our room. "Not well. And not without being in pain. But yes." Ambrose says. I take a few weak steps forward. It stings, but I don't think I'll ever feel anything as painful as before. 

"Good. We have to go. Now." Sabrina says. "Wait- now? Sabrina, she can barely move!" Ambrose argues. "I can see that. But we just lost the first challenge. We are needed in Hell. Now!" Sabrina explains. I can tell she wants to yell but she wouldn't. Can't risk letting the Aunties know. 

"Ambrose, I'll be fine." I tell him. He looks like he's going to argue. "Besides, I'll be back before you know it. And when I'm back I'm going to need your help. I need you to take care of me." I tell him. He sighs and nods before taking a step back. Sabrina wraps one of my arms around her shoulders for support before transporting us to my absolute favorite fucking place. Hell.

Caliban stands in the middle of the throne room. Herod's crown on his head. All of the demons around are cheering his name. Congratulating him on his victory that he doesn't fucking deserve. 

"There you are!" Lilith calls out as Sabrina and I get our bearings. Sabrina drags me to the center of the room to meet Caliban. "What do my ladies think? It's just temporary until I win the infernal crown, of course." Caliban says with a shit eating smirk. I can feel Sabrina fuming beside me. I see her hand start to twitch so I take initiative.

I swing the arm not around Sabrina all the way back and then across Caliban's stupid face as fast as I can. It's a sickening snap of a sound and my hand tingles in the best way. Caliban holds his cheek for a second while I shake out my hand.

"We could have died! Why didn't you help us?" Sabrina yells as Caliban recovers from my slap. "Help you? This is a competition." He says. "Look at what he did to me! It could have been much worse." I hiss. Caliban doesn't even flinch.

"I was watching you two. Closely." He says. "If you were watching did you know King Herod was coming for his crown?" Sabrina yells. "My lady, everyone knows King Herod is a guardian. I assumed you would kill him. Or he would kill you. A true monarch knows strategy." He says with a smirk. 

"Now. You didn't answer my question. The crown suits me don't you agree?" He asks cockily. This time it's Sabrina that rears back and swings at him. Temporarily letting me go. She used so much force that the crown topples off of Caliban's head and hits the floor with a loud thud. The demons all laugh. 

"The first round is yours. Enjoy it." Sabrina says as Lilith picks up the crown and places it where the three objects will be housed. "And I swear, I'll slice your throat ear-to-ear before I let you have my throne." Sabrina hisses. 

Slowly all the demons in the room start chanting Sabrina's name. Caliban looks pissed and that makes me smile. This little shit is going down.

-------------------------

Freya's POV

"I thought you had stood me up." I whisper as I curl up into Ambrose's side. He scoffs and pulls me in close. "You know I would never. I was just a little caught up. Herod came for me first. Stole the crown and left to find Sabrina." He explains.

"Sounds like an excuse to me." I say with a smirk. "You're something. You know that?" He asks with a chuckle. "Come on." He says tapping my shoulder. He helps me sit up and holds out a cup of tea from beside our bed.

"Drink up. You'll need it to heal." He tells me. "What if I don't want to drink it? What if I like being carried around and being taken care of? For once it's not you that's hurt or dying. Let me have my moment." I say. 

"It was scary. Seeing you lay there. Screaming and crying." Ambrose says sadly. "If it wasn't for you I'd still be there." I remind him. "I don't like seeing you like that." He says looking down. I use my free hand to gently grab his chin to make him face me.

"I can't promise you that you won't. But if you stay by my side I'll try my best." I tell him. "I love you Freya." "I love you too Ambrose." He leans in and gives me a sweet kiss. Our lips move in unison and I can feel our heartbeats sync up. 

"Maybe you should sit the test task out." Ambrose says when he finally pulls away. "Yeah, what's the fun in that?" I tease. "I could always use your help at the academy. Or we could just stay here. It's much safer that way. Besides, I think someone misses you." Ambrose says as Kai nestles down next to my cast.

Ever since I got hurt, he clings to my side. Making sure no one can hurt me. Even when the Aunties were helping me, he would sit there growling at them. He's a good boy. Just trying to protect me and make sure I'm okay.

"Okay. I'll sit the next one out." I tell Ambrose. He smiles and pulls me back down into bed. He reaches over and shuts off the light. We curl up next to each other and Kai shifts so that he is cuddled up with us. 

"Uh, Ambrose?" I say. "Yeah?" "You're going to hate me." I tell him. "And why is that?" He asks as he looks at me with a raised eyebrow. "Because we just got comfortable." I tell him. He groans. "Just tell me what's wrong." He says.

"Well our bed is on the floor." "Yeah?" "And I can't get up on my own." "Yeah?" 

"I gotta pee." "Of course you do." He says with a chuckle as he gets out of bed to help me up. "Should've let you struggle."