Death: The Reoccurring Theme

Freya's POV

"Aunt Hilda is dead!?" I cry out. "It happens all the time. Relax." Sabrina says with a sigh. I plop myself down into my chair at the dining room table. "So you're telling me.... Circe cursed Aunt Hilda and turned her into a spider? So in order to solve the problem.... you killed her?" I ask. Ambrose puts a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"And buried her in the cain pit of course." Aunt Zelda says with a puff of her cigarette. "I wish I'd known. We could have brought her to Circe." Sabrina says sadly. "Well perhaps we should all start talking again. Start being a family again." Aunt Zelda says. 

"I've missed you. I've missed you both." She says after a moment. "And when Hilda rises from the Cain pit, she'll be her old self again. Not that spider monstrosity I shot in the bookstore." "How long before she wakes?" Ambrose asks. I turn and rest my head on his shoulder.

"Shouldn't be much longer now. In fact, I'm going into the parlor to wait. Tonight, we shall dine as a family." Aunt Zelda says before grabbing a glass of gin and strutting off into the other room. "While we eagerly wait for her return, I propose that Freya and I try to get some rest. We'll see you soon enough cousin." Ambrose says rising from his chair.

"Actually I need her. She's already agreed to help me with something. Please, Ambrose, it's important." Sabrina pleads. Ambrose looks at me and I silently apologize. I would love nothing more than some quality time with my boyfriend, but my best friend needs me.

"Alright. Just as long as you don't do anything stupid." Ambrose warns. I stand from my chair and kiss his cheek. "When have we ever done anything stupid?" I ask innocently as Sabrina and I start out the room.

"I don't think you want to have that conversation Darling."

---------------------------------------------

Freya's POV 

"And you're sure you want to do this?" I ask as I drop the two red candles onto Sabrina's desk. She sighs and sits up from her bed. "What choice do I have Freya? I can't keep living like this." She says as she walks over. "If it's what you want..." I trail off as I offer her a small knife. 

"It's what I need." Sabrina says as she sits down at her desk. "He broke my heart and it hurts to be in the same room as him. How am I going to be able to lead a battle with him?" She says quietly as she carves Nick's name into one of the candles. 

"You're strong Sabrina. He doesn't realize that he's the biggest fucking idiot in the whole world." I tell her as I look over her shoulder. She mutters a thanks as she carves her name into the other candle. Sabrina carefully wraps a cord around the two candles and pulls out a match. Right before she can light it Salem meow from her bed. Scaring the shit out of me.

"No, Salem, I have to do this for my own good. I just have to carve my name on this one and Nick's on the other. Burn the cord and then all my feelings for him are gone." She explains to Salem. I'm too busy clutching my heart from the almost heart attack. I didn't see Salem in the dim light. Salem meows again.

"Yes. Of course Nick. Who else?" Sabrina says. Salem meows again and Sabrina freezes. "Sabrina? You okay? I don't speak cat so I'm going to need you to translate." I tease. She snaps out of it and looks down at the candle with Nicks name.

"He said Harvey. I mean, I'll always love Harvey, but I don't think I still....." Sabrina says trialling off. Her hand is shaking so I pick up the knife. "You want me to add his name?" I ask. She nods quickly. "I don't want to hurt Roz." She says as a single tear rolls down her cheek. 

I quickly carve Harvey's name under Nick's and redo the cord. I hand the matches to Sabrina and she takes a deep breath before striking the match. It catches fire and she brings it down on the cord. I place my hand on her shoulder as we watch the flames spark and dance.

When the cord finally breaks into two, Sabrina lets out a shaky breath and blows out the flame. She slowly gets up and walks into my arms. I don't know what to say so I just hold her and smooth out her hair. Anything to try to feel better.

Right when I think she's about to let go and says something, an all too familiar noise rings through the house. We jolt apart and look at each other with fear in our eyes.

"Was that a-" "Gun." I confirm before sprinting out of her room. "Are you girls alright?" Ambrose calls from somewhere behind me. I ignore him and run as hard as I can. When I get to the top of the stairs I look down at the worst possible sight imaginable. 

Aunt Zelda laying in a pool of blood. A pool of blood that was quickly growing. 

"NO!" I scream before running down the stairs as fast as possible. Apparently my legs worked too fast because I end up launching myself off the last couple stairs and onto the floor. I hear footsteps running up behind my but I'm crawling over to Aunt Zelda. 

When I get to her I push her coat aside find the source of the blood. Parker had always talked about gunshot wound patients at the hospital. Patients report it as being some of the worse pain they've ever felt and that's only coming from the survivors. 

I cry out and put pressure on the wound. "SOMEONE CALL MY SISTER!" I scream. Suddenly Ambrose is by my side and starts feeling for a pulse or any source of life. We make eye contact for half a second. But that half a second is all I needed to see the absolute terror in his eyes.