Basketball

Freya

"You know you're unbelievable, right?" I ask Sabrina as I flop down beside her on her bed. She groans and covers her head with a pillow. I just laugh as Aunt Hilda comes walking into the room with a tray.  

"Here you are." Aunt Hilda says as she perches down next to Sabrina, holding out a glass of water. Sabrina happily takes it. "I think I'm gonna puke again." Sabrina admits as she takes a small sip. I scoot a few inches away, making her smile.

"Better out than in. A little Pepto for your tummy." Aunt Hilda says holding out a teaspoon covered in pink medicine. Sabrina quickly takes it before laying back down in her bed. Girl has had a long day. I mean, she did puke up things like shark eye and newborn blood in front of the whole coven. 

"Okay, so, you know what I think would make you feel so much better? Is going to see your mortal friends. And before you pooh-pooh me, a little birdy told me that Susie's trying out for the basketball team today." Aunt Hilda says with a smile. "But Baxter High doesn't have a girl's basketball team." I say, wildly confused.

"Susie's trying out for the boy's team along with Har-"Aunt Hilda stops before she can say the name. "Harvey." Sabrina says, finishing her Aunt's sentence. "Why don't you go show them some support? Especially Susie. I don't think the basketball coach or much of the team want her there." Aunt Hilda says. Sabrina shrugs and cuddles up with her blanket.

"Come on Brina! Think about how nice it will be to not worry about the competition. Besides, I haven't seen our friends in so long. Get up. I'm not giving you a choice in this." I say pulling Sabrina out of bed. She groans but Aunt Hilda just smiles at me and mouths a 'thank you'.

-----------------------

Freya

Baxter High hasn't changed a bit since the last time I walked these halls. It even still smells like old lunch meat and bad cologne. I can't believe I used to like coming here. Sabrina and I make our way through the halls and climb the stairs to the upper seating in the gym. Try outs have already started and I can see that it already isn't going well for Susie.

"Alright boys, let's go! Game time!" The coach yells out. Half of the boys are in red jerseys, the other half, including Susie, is in gray. Harvey starts dribbling down the court and Roz is cheering from the other side of the gym. I'd try to wave but there's no chance she'd see me up here.

"Come on!" I cheer as Harvey passes the ball to Susie. She catches it and goes for a shot. She misses. Misses as in the ball was no where near the hoop. I see Sabrina cringe next to me. I sigh and lean against the back wall. This was not going to end well. 

One of the boys in red dribble the ball and runs towards the net. Susie tries to block him but another player runs into her, pushing her down on the ground. She hits the ground HARD. I swear I can feel the vibrations from up here. 

"Hey! Come on! Call that!" I yell down at the court. The coach ignores me, but Susie looks up and sees me. I smile at her and give her a thumbs up. She's going to need all the luck in the world. Harvey offers her a hand and she gets right back up.

Harvey manages to steal the ball away from the player in red and turns to throw it to Susie. She catches it and freezes, a bunch of tall basketball players running directly towards her. Before I realize what I'm doing, I'm mumbling a spell under my breath. Susie lines up the shot and makes a three pointer.

"Did you just?" Sabrina asks turning to me with a smile on her face. I shrug. "Maybe I did. Maybe I didn't." I say trying not to smile back. "Well if that's how we're going to do things." Sabrina says with a smirk. She turns back to the court and mutters a spell which causes a tall player headed for Susie to trip and fall. 

And while I know it isn't morally right, we continue to help Susie out anyway. She looks so happy and proud of herself. Soon the whole gym is cheering her on. She makes shot after shot after shot. There's no way that the coach won't take her now. 

The buzzer goes off and the gray team wins the match. Everyone cheers and Roz runs out onto the court, creating a group hug between her, Susie, and Harvey. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Sabrina frown and turn to leave. I call out her name and follow her into the halls.

"Brina? What's wrong?" I ask. She wipes away a tear and ignores my question. "You know what, I just need some air. I'll be out front in 10 to walk back home. I'm not in a celebratory mood." She says as she storms off. I just look after her in shock. What the heaven happened to her?

"Freya?" I hear someone call. I whip around to see Roz, Harvey, and Susie standing there with their jaws dropped. "You guys!" I yell as I run up to them and get wrapped up in a hug. They all just hold me there for a second before letting me go. 

"Susie! Congrats on the game. You gotta get put on the team now!" I cheer. "Actually, it's Theo now." Susie- I mean Theo says. It clicks in my head and I pull Theo in for a hug. "Well congrats Theo." I tell them. 

"I have to go talk to Coach Craven, but I'll catch up with you guys later." Harvey says before running back into the gym. "I've missed you so much! We haven't hung out in forever." Roz says after a minute. "You guys! I miss you both so much. I wish I had more time to spend with you." I say.

"We get it! Being a witch is hard work." Theo says quietly. My heart stops for a second before realizing that they knew. After they figured out Sabrina and interrogated her, it was no surprise that they figured that's the reason that I was gone. "That doesn't change anything between us. I'm still Freya." I tell them. 

"Well good! Because we are all going to go to Dr. C's later if you want to join." Roz says. "I'd love too! I just gotta go check on Sabrina. Make sure she's okay." I say. "How is she? We haven't really seen her since that night...." Theo says trailing off. 

"She's... she's okay. I mean it's Sabrina we are talking about. There's always something with her." I tease. They all laugh and give me one last hug before we turn and go our separate ways. I miss my friends so much. Sometimes I wish that I was able to go to both schools like Sabrina. But that means I'd have to take two sets of finals... and that doesn't sound like a good time to me. I start heading towards the door of Baxter High when a hand reaches out and pulls me into a room.

"What the heaven?" I yell swatting them away. "Freya! It's just me!" Sabrina says. I notice a couple of scratches on her face and I begin to panic. Miss Wardwell sits behind the principal's desk- well, her desk. "What happened?" I ask Sabrina.

"Another demon attack. It was flies this time. Miss Wardwell helped me escape." Sabrina explains. "What the fuck is with all these demon attacks?!" I ask throwing my hands up. "Miss Hale. Language." Miss Wardwell corrects.

"Oh bite me." "Oh I can and I will."