Dark Baptism

Freya

My lungs felt like they were on fire as I ran through the woods. I could hear Sabrina behind me but I didn't care. I ran as fast as I could without constantly being tripped by the brush on the floor of the woods. I'm sure we looked insane. We were running through the woods. At midnight. In wedding attire. 

I slow down as I approach this weird looking arch made of tree branches. I stop to catch my breath when Sabrina appears by my side. We look at each other. I can tell that she's terrified. Hell, I'm terrified. I reach out and grab her hand. She nods and we begin walking through the arch together.

"Freya! look!" Sabrina says looking down at herself as we exit the arch. The beautiful, once white, wedding gown starts turning a pitch black right before our eyes. I look down and gasp seeing that my dress has begun to do the same. 

"Sabrina? What the hell is happening?" I ask. She opens her mouth to say something but then a second arch appears. Only this time, it is made of blue flames. Oh shit. Please don't burn me. Sabrina squeezes my hand. "Come on Frey. It's now or never." She says with a quiver in her voice. We cross through and don't get burned. Thank Satan. Straight ahead is a bonfire with witches and warlocks gathered around it. Sabrina and I walk towards it hand in hand. To be honest, it was the scariest thing that I had ever seen. But at the same time, I was beyond excited. 

Father Blackwood is standing in the middle of all the witches. On his left are Sabrina's Aunts. On his right are the weird sisters who give me a look of approval. "Welcome daughter's of night." Blackwood says. Everyone around us goes silent and I can feel their eyes digging into me. 

"Who presents these children for unholy baptism?" He asks. "We do, your excellency." Hilda and Zelda say as they take their spots behind us. "Late for your own baptism. Honestly." Zelda scolds Sabrina. Hilda just puts a comforting hand on my shoulder. "You look lovely darling." She tells me. 

"Disrobe them sisters." Blackwood commands. Wait what? I have to take my clothes off? In front of all these people I don't know? Luckily, Hilda only removes my dress and shoes. Leaving me in the white slip I had on under the dress. The ground is cold and hard under my feet. Yet I feel as if the blood in my veins is boiling. 

"We are gathered here together, in these woods, in the presence of our Dark Lord. With all the souls, the living and the dead of our coven: The most unholy church of night." Blackwood starts ceremoniously. "Kneel children." We do. The leaves scratch my knees but that is the least of my concerns right now. This is happening. It's happening. Unholy shit. 

Father Blackwood dips his thumb in what looks like blood. "Our Dark Lord teaches us that there is no lay beyond. do what thou wilt." He says while he wipes it onto our foreheads like some satanic lion king. "Our Dark Lord asks: Would you like to be happy girls? To be free?" He asks. "I do." I say immediately. Sabrina hesitates a second before saying the same. 

"The eldest first!" Blackwood says holding out his hand to me. I take one last look at Sabrina before taking his hand. He helps me up and walks me over to a stone altar. "Freya Cassandra Hale. Are you willing to forsake the path of light and follow the path of night? Where ever it may lead you?" He asks. "I am." I answer. "Then it is time to sign his book." He says with a smirk. 

He guides my over to the altar where I see a large, old book. He grabs a knife and takes my left hand. Sabrina told me what was going to happen but it didn't make me any less nervous. He quickly cuts my hand which makes me flinch in pain. The blood pools in my hand. Father Blackwood holds my hand over the book and lets some drops fall down onto the page. I take the pen with my good hand, dip it into the blood, and then sign. Freya Hale. My name is now forever in the Dark Lord's book. I feel a huge rush and feel as if I am the most energized I have ever felt. I feel strong. I feel free. I feel good.

"Welcome daughter, to the church of night. You're parents would have been proud." Father Blackwood says. The witches around us cheer and pat me on the back. However, this is soon over when Blackwood approaches Sabrina for her turn. I leave my spot at the altar and join the others in the circle around Sabrina. 

"Sabrina Edwina Diana Spellman..." Father Blackwood begins. He then goes through the same motions as he had done with me. Only I can feel that something is wrong. Sabrina is hesitant with her answers and her eyes keep darting around. No Sabrina. Don't do it. Father Blackwood cuts her hand with the knife and he blood pools onto the page. She goes to reach for the pen but then seems to stare off into space. "Sabrina." Her Aunt Zelda scolds. Sabrina snaps out of her trance and looks at me. Her eyes full of panic and fear. 

She quickly throws down the pen and stumbles backward. I rush forward to stand by her side. "I-I can't do this." She stammers. The coven starts closing in around us. Sabrina starts shaking and I do the only thing that my brain can think of. I grab her hand and we run.

"Get them." I hear Father Blackwood say calmly. But Sabrina and I are already gone. We run as fast as our legs will take us. We dodge the branches and try to ignore the cuts on our bare feet. I want to ask her why but my lungs burn so I can't even get out a peep. We reach the arch when suddenly a branch comes out and snags Sabrina's arms. She tumbles to the ground and screams. I throw myself to the ground after her and start pulling as hard as I can. Eventually, I get them loose enough for Sabrina to shimmy out. We get back up again and run. 

"Ambrose!" Sabrina screams as we near the house. "AMBROSE!" She yells even louder. As we approach the house, Ambrose comes running out at the sound of his cousin's voice. "Sabrina! Freya!" He yells meeting us in the lawn. Sabrina throws herself into his arms trying to catch her breath. I hunch over and put my hands on my knees thinking that I'm going to throw up.

"Ambrose" Sabrina cries. "You won't- you won't believe what happened." She cries out. "I think I can guess cousin." He says pointing behind us. I whip around and sure enough, here comes the entire coven, strolling out of the woods. Headed right for us. 

"While the blood moon still shines, you must sign the book of the beast." Father Blackwood yells angrily. I take a step in front of Sabrina. "I will not!" Sabrina yells stepping out from behind me. "There is another path for me. Just as there was for my father and mother. A third way. And even if there isn't. My name is Sabrina Spellman and I WILL NOT sign it away." She says defiantly. 

"Get her." Father Blackwood says and the whole coven comes towards us. Suddenly Ambrose throws Sabrina behind him. "A circle of protection rings this house. And no witch except a Spellman may cross it. Any unwelcome witch that tries shall burn!" He yells at them. Father Blackwood stops and thinks for a moment. 

"Very well. We will just take the one who signed. Grab Freya, she will come to the Academy with us at once." He says. Ambrose steps in front of me. "I have placed a protection spell on her as well. Only friend's of the Spellman's are able to cross the circle of protection. She is one of us." He yells in a defensive stance. I just peer over his shoulder to see the reaction. 

Father Blackwood says nothing. He just retreats calmly into the night. The rest of the coven follows. "Ambrose- thank you." I start. "When did you put a protection on the house?" Sabrina asks. "I didn't. Though I should probably start." He says running into the house. The Aunties walk up to the house. Hilda grabs my hand and leads me in. They ignore Sabrina all together. 

Once I get into the house Hilda tells me to wash up and that I can spend the night. I just nod and look outside. There's Sabrina still just standing there. Lost and confused.