Milkshakes and Madness

Freya

After Ambrose and I had finished cleaning up the parlor, Sabrina ran into the house in full on sobs. I look to Ambrose and he nods so I run after her. I catch her arm on the stairs and force her to look at me.

"Brina, what's wrong now?" I ask. She just flattens me in a big hug. "It's Harvey. He's so upset and there's nothing I can. Well- there's something I can do.... but I can't." She explains in between sniffles. I shush her and take her face into my hands. She looks absolutely crushed. I wipe away some of her stray tears. 

"Let's get out of here. Wanna go get milkshakes at Dr. C's and just talk?" I ask. She smiles weakly and nods. I take her hand and guide her to the door. I call into the house to no one in particular that we would be back. The whole walk there I just let Sabrina rant. It ranged from Harvey, to Harvey's father, to how unfair being a witch was, to whatever she felt like talking about. I just nodded and mhmed every so often to let her know that I was listening. 

"It just hurts so much to see the ones you love in pain." She says taking a swig of her strawberry milkshake. "Tell me about it." I say taking a sip of my own. She sighs and puts her head down flat on the table. I know she's about to cry again. I push my milkshake to her side and sit next to her, rather than across from her in the booth. I just rub her back and wait for her to be okay again.

"Girls, there you are. I thought I might find you here." Miss Wardwell says approaching us. Sabrina lifts her head and wipes away tears. "Miss Wardwell, what are you doing here?" Sabrina asks, pretending like everything is fine. "I'm here to find you of course." Wardwell explains sliding into the seat across from us.

"Poor Harvey Kinkle. How will he ever survive in that house, with that bulldozer of a father?" Miss Wardwell says after a moment of awkward silence. "He won't survive." Sabrina says sadly. "Not without his brother, that's the truth." Silence. I awkwardly sip my milkshake.

"Miss Wardwell," Sabrina starts after a moment. "My father asked you to look out for me, and you have. And now I'm asking.... for more. For help. And you can't mention what I'm about to say to my Aunties." Miss Wardwell leans across the table, intrigued by Sabrina's words. "Of course I wouldn't." She says. I give Sabrina a questioning look. What the fuck are you thinking now.

"I keep thinking... Tommy's body still hasn't been found. So... if he were to...come back, there would be some questions, but not many." Sabrina whispers to us. "Come back? Sabrina what are you plotting?" I ask. "I believe she's talking about resurrection." Miss Wardwell says sitting back with her arms crossed over her chest.

"You both saw Harvey. He needs his brother back." Sabrina pleads. "Necromancy is the darkest and most dangerous of the sacred magics." Miss Wardwell warns. It's true. Those books I borrowed from Ambrose have countless stories about things going awry. Most of those stories end in a murder. Well, at least one.

"I love him. As Sabrina, his girlfriend, I can only do so much. But as Sabrina the witch, I could fix this. If I- If we," Sabrina says grabbing my hand. "If we have the power to ease his suffering, then why shouldn't we use it?" She says. 

"Well, for a start, there are rules. And it's a treacherous business. Life. Death. The afterlife. These things are not things to be trifled with." Miss Wardwell explains. "Why? Is it complicated?" I ask. Sabrina's right. It will be dangerous, but I agree with her. If we can ease someone's pain, the risk might just be worth it. 

"Well, no actually. The incantation I have is really quite simple and yields great results. I've seen them first hand. But you can't. I beg you girls." Miss Wardwell tells us. "You have the incantation?" Sabrina asks slyly. I can see what game she's playing at. However, I think Miss Wardwell won't fall for her little games.

"Somewhere in my office, on the shelves of Baxter High." Miss Wardwell says casually. Okay. Nevermind. Guess she did fall for Sabrina's little game. "But girls, even if you did use this rite, there's one part of the spell that's unspeakable. The spell requires and offering for the dead to rise. To balance out the cosmic forces." She tells us.

"Are we talking about someone dying?" I ask. "Someone has to die for Tommy to live again?" Sabrina asks. Miss Wardwell nods. 

"You girls are many things, but murderers you are not." She grabbing a soda from one of the waiter's walking by before taking a big sip. Sabrina and I look at each other. Trying to read each other's expressions. Trying to get in each other's minds.

------------------------------------------------------------

Freya

Sabrina and I get home later that day. It's dark outside now but the darkness never bothered us anyway. The Spellman Mortuary seemed a whole lot calmer than how it felt earlier that day. It's empty and warm. Just the way I liked it. When Sabrina opened the door I'm greeted by Aunt Zelda pacing in the front hall.

"Aunt Zelda. Everything okay?" Sabrina asks. Aunt Zelda blows out a cloud of smoke from her cigarette before coming over to us. "Father Blackwood is here. In the living room. With Ambrose." She explains. This makes me intrigued but also a tad bit nervous.

"With Ambrose? What does he want with him?" I ask trying to hide the panic in my voice. Aunt Zelda puts a hand on my shoulder. "Come now Freya. I'm sure he's not in any harm. But a strange visit it is indeed." She tells me. At that moment Father Blackwood comes strolling out of the parlor followed shortly by Ambrose.

"Your excellency, if you have a moment, I wonder if I might bother you." Aunt Zelda asks. He simply nods and heads back into the parlor with Zelda on his heels. Once they are gone and close the door Ambrose comes over to me and wraps me in a hug. Sabrina stands there, trying not to third wheel, but she obviously wanted to hear about why Father Blackwood has visited. At least she knows what it's like for me whenever I hang out with her and Harvey. 

"Ambrose? What was all that about?" I ask when he finally pulls away. "My freedom." He says. Only, he isn't too excited. "Wait what?" Sabrina asks stepping forward. "Father Blackwood proposed a deal. If I give him the names of my co-conspirators at the Vatican... I can be free." He says. Sabrina jumps up and down in glee. 

"Oh Ambrose! This is great. You can have your shot at a normal life! This is so exciting." She says. I study his face and notice that there's no smile. No hope. "Only you don't plan on doing it." I say aloud. He looks at me and sadly nods. 

"Alas, I can't bring myself to do it." He says sadly. Sabrina starts to ask why but I cut her off by raising my hand. She huffs and storms off. Ambrose grabs my hand and drags me into the kitchen where he proceeds to put on a kettle.

"What's going through your head?" I ask as I hop up onto the counter. He sighs. "I desperately want to be free from house arrest. I want to live my life. Travel the world. Take you out properly." He says. "But?" 

"But I can't. Those people were like family to me. I don't think I'm capable of giving them up." He tells me with sad eyes. "That's one of the things I admire about you. You stick to your morals. Fuck the outside world. We have everything we need right here." I say pulling him in for another hug. He sighs and wraps his arms around my waist.

"What brought all this on?" I ask. Ambrose steps back. "You remember Luke right?" He asks. "Yeah. The guy I found in your little orgy party upstairs. How could I forget?" I say rolling my eyes. 

"Well he spoke to Father Blackwood on my behalf. Is there some jealousy I'm sensing?" He teases. This makes me laugh. "Oh please. I have nothing to be jealous of." 

"That's my girl." He says leaning in for a kiss.