Guidance

Freya

"I'm imaging this..." I say under my breath. My mom just shakes her head and smiles. "I don't think you are." She says with the most beautiful look on her face. My knees start to give out and Ambrose reaches out his arms to support me in case I fall. 

"Mom! I can hear you!" I croak out as tears start to sting my eyes. She nods. "If only I could hold you. Look at how you've grown. My beautiful daughter." She says as she steps forward. I wipe away my tears and walk towards her. I want to just throw my arms around her and have her hold me. Just for a minute. But I know I can't.

"Mom, why are you here? Why can I now hear you?" I ask. "It's the solstice sweet girl. The St. Lucia took my right hand and the demon Lucy took my left. They brought me here. So I may see my girls again." She says with a smile before her expression falters. "However, I do come with a warning. A friend of yours, Susie Putnam, I believe, is in grave danger." 

"Susie Putnam? What's wrong? Where is she?" I ask frantically. "Calm now sweet girl. Miss Spellman is already on her way. I'm sure that you'll be hearing from her any minute." My mom says. Her smirk only grows as the phone in the kitchen starts to ring. Ambrose's eyes widen and he rushes into the hallway. 

"Oh, hey Ambrose. Freya, I figured you might need some more blankets." Parker says as she walks into the room. "After all, it's going to be a cold-" She stops dead in her tracks and drops the laundry basket that she's holding. All of the blankets fall to the floor. Parker freezes and I see her eyes start to fill with tears.

"Mommy?" She asks. "Parker. My baby." Mom says with a huge smile. Parker rushes forward to hug her but I quickly trow myself in front of her. "Parker, no! She's too weak. If we touch her we risk her disappearing!" I try to explain. Eventually she stops fighting me and just steps back and stares at mom.

"I'm sure you have so many questions. I just can't believe how incredibly beautiful you two have become." Mom tells us. "You're just like I remember you." Parker says as she perches on the edge of my bed. 

"I got married. His name is Mason. You would have loved him. He and I have our angel daughter. Winter. She looks just like you." Parker says as tears streak down her face. Mom chuckles. "I know sweetie. I was there. For all of it. You just couldn't see me." She tells Parker. This only makes Parker cry more.

"You two are my pride and joy. Your father and I are so incredibly proud of you guys and all that you have done. You two make quite the pair of witches. You will have nothing but happiness." She tells us. Parker reaches out and grabs onto my hand. I run my fingers across the back of her knuckles.

"Freya! We have an emergency." Ambrose says rushing into the room. He looks at the scene in front of him. I know he feels bad for interrupting, but Susie is in trouble. I look to my mom and she nods knowingly. 

"Freya, go. Your needed elsewhere. Parker, help your sister and watch over the family. Something is coming. Soon. I don't know what it is or when it will get here, but it will be dangerous." Mom tells us. Parker rises from the bed and stands next to me. None of us knowing what to do. 

"I'm so proud of my girls. I love you both so much." Mom says as she rushes forward and wraps her arms around us. I feel the love and warmth radiating off of her. Parker and I barely get in a response before mom disappears. 

"I love you too." I say under my breath as I wipe away my tears. "Freya, I know that this is all bad timing but we need to go." Ambrose says from the door. "Ambrose is right. Come on. I'll help get you what you need." Parker says as she grabs my arm and rushes us into the kitchen.

--------------------------------------------

Freya

"Freya! Ambrose! Over here!" Sabrina yells as we sprint through the snow covered streets. My bag of protection charms slung over my shoulder. Ambrose tried to explain what was happening as we ran. All I understood is that Susie was working as an elf at a toy store when she went missing. Something about a demon taking her hostage. I almost slip on a patch of ice when we reach them, but Sabrina catches my shoulders and helps me. 

"Praise Satan that you're here." Aunt Hilda cries out. "What's happening? Where is Susie?" I ask Sabrina. She sighs and looks over her shoulder at an old abandoned building. "In there. But she should be coming out any sec-" Sabrina is cut off by the slam of a door.

"Susie!" I scream out as my friend comes running out of the abandoned building in an elf costume. "Freya? Sabrina?" Susie asks as she comes running over to us. We wrap her in a huge hug. I grab a shawl from my bag and wrap it around her shoulders.

"Are you okay?" Sabrina asks. "I'm fine, but there's a demon in there, and a witch, I think." Susie rambles. She pauses and her eyes widen. "Oh my gosh, my dad!" She panics. Aunt Zelda bends at the waist slightly so that she can look directly into Susie's eyes.

"We will take you right home and explain everything to him." Aunt Zelda says. "And tell him what? That I was kidnapped by a demon? No, he'll never let me get an after school job again." Susie pleads. 

"Well maybe not everything, but I have some nice shortbread cookies that will make him think that the last 12 hours had been but a dream, okay?" Aunt Hilda asks. "Plus I have some herbs to put in his eggnog to help convince him of our story." I add. Susie nods and the Aunties rush her to the car to warm her up.

"Come on. Let's get you home and in front of the fire. You're lips are about to turn blue." Ambrose says walking up behind me. I nod. "I just wish I could have done more." I say sadly. He nods. "I know you do love. But right now we need to get you warm." He says. 

I nod. At least Susie was safe.