Hedge Witches

Freya's POV

"We simply mixed the Dark Lord's residue with a bit of salt, thieves vinegar and Hoyt's cologne to create an-" "A warding residue?" Aunt Zelda asks. Ambrose nods, quite proud of himself. "We painted it over every door jam and crevice, this may provide enough protection to keep the pagans at bay." Ambrose tells her.

"At least for a little while." I add. "You two will be the ones to save this coven. I mean it." Aunt Zelda says. Ambrose wraps his arm around my shoulders and kisses the side of my head. I'm about to tell Aunt Zelda that this was completely Ambrose's idea when everyone's favorite blonde stomps into the room. 

"Need an extra pair of hands?" She offers with a weak smile. Uh oh. That's never a good sign. Aunt Zelda grabs the rest of the resin and we head for the room with the circle of stones, the last room to be sealed. 

"Why did you bring us here?" A voice calls from the shadows. "Gryla?" Aunt Zelda asks. An older witch steps into the circle of stones. "I heard your call." She says with a head nod. Slowly, one by one, different witches step into the room. "Pesta? Sycorax!" Aunt Zelda asks with hope in her voice as she identifies a few of them.

"Mambo Marie." Ambrose says as a voodoo witch enters the room. "You summoned us here against our will." Gryla hisses. "For that, all in this house will die." She says stepping closer. Well fuck. That didn't go according to plan.

"Halt, sisters, and welcome!" Aunt Zelda yells, stepping forward. "Welcome is for guests. You summoned us here AGAINST OUR WILL, Zelda Spellman." Gryla says. "I did, Gryla. I summoned you here for the good of witchkind. You are no longer safe on your own. None of us are, a community of pagans has risen. They have a gorgon and Pan in their ranks. Their plan is to kill us all." Aunt Zelda explains.

"I smell weakness." One witch snarls. "I smell fear." She says with a cackle. "No one summons Pesta and lives!" One witch, I'm assuming Pesta, yells as she closes in on us. We all instinctively take a defensive pose and wait for the strike. It never comes.

"Stop!" Mambo Marie yells as she stands between us and the hedge witches. "We do not need to fight each other. That is what men do." She says in a very thick accent. "But we are women. Witch women. We can do more than fight, can we not?" She continues.

"Yes. Quite." Aunt Zelda answers as she walks towards Mambo. "We face a common enemy, and our choice is simple: unite or die." Aunt Zelda explains. Well shit, when you say it like that. "You know me Gryla. You know what I stand for." Wait- Gryla? As in the witch who eats men on Yule and collects children? Why do we trust her?

"Now please, will you listen to what I have to say?" Aunt Zelda pleads. The room is silent for a few moments before Gryla steps forward. 

"Do you have any gin?" She asks with a smirk.

"Certainly." Aunt Zelda says with just as wicked of a smirk. "Sabrina, Freya, go fetch food and drink for our guests.  And chairs. Get Prudence and Nicholas to help you." Aunt Zelda instructs. I see Sabrina tense up when Nick's name is said. Oops- forgot to mention that he woke up when you were down in Hell. Sorry sis.

-------------------------------

Freya's POV

"Your coven has always turned our kind away. For centuries we had to brave the wilderness alone. Why should we help you now?" Gryla asks before she slams back another drink. I rise from my seat in the circle we are all sitting in to keep her glass full. Full glasses equal happy witches. At least that what Aunt Zelda said.

"Our numbers are depleted. Our magics non-existent. We need your strength, it's true. But, if you help us, this will be your home. We can make a new coven. Together." Aunt Zelda says. "There is wisdom in what she says. Better to be united for what is coming." Mambo says as Sabrina offers her a snack from the tray she's holding.

"What about the Dark Lord?" One witch asks. I feel myself, Prudence, Nick, and Sabrina tense. I'm sure Ambrose would have too but he got lucky and got assigned sealing all the doorways. "At large, but trapped in a flesh acheron, as far as we know." Aunt Zelda says causally as she takes a puff of her cigarette. 

"If we agree to help, what would you need us to do?" Gryla asks. "Stand with us against the pagans when they come. They said three days, but they could come at any moment. Pesta, you could poison the soil around the academy so if any Pagan touched it, they'd shrivel with disease." Aunt Zelda says.

"I could do that. Easily." Pesta says with an evil smile. "Where would we sleep?" Gryla asks. "The desecrated church. Sabrina, bring the others and prepare for our guests." Zelda commands. "Sure." Sabrina says through clenched teeth. Uh-oh. Here we go.

----------------------------------

Freya's POV

The silence as we make beds in the church is painful. I'm trying my best not to sneak glances at Sabrina and Nick, but I can't help myself. I mean they had a nasty fight and break up, she saved his life, and now we are back to square one. 

Prudence notices me staring and raises and eyebrow at me. She looks at Nick and Sabrina and slowly connects the dots. She looks back at me before walking towards them. I frantically shake my head no and scream at her in my head to stop. The last thing we need is to stir the pot-

"All right, what's going on between you two turtledoves? Why aren't you kissing and holding hands?" Prudence asks, breaking the silence. Nick and Sabrina take awkward glances at each other. "We're taking a break." Sabrina says at the same time Nick says, "We broke up." Grab some popcorn, this ought to be good.

"So now you're...." "Just friends." Nick says quickly. I bite my fingernails and look at Sabrina who is obviously hurt by this. "Right." She says under her breath. "Just friends." She echoes. I swear you can hear the pain in her voice. Followed by another awkward silence.

"Well, I'm gonna get some more pillows and blankets for the witches." Nick says before shuffling out of the church. "Yeah, you do that Nicky." Prudence says to him even though her eyes are locked on Sabrina. After Nick is gone, Sabrina sighs as flops on one of the beds.

"Sabrina, your mortal side is showing. Heartbreak's not a good look on witches." Prudence teases. "Pru." I warn. "Nick officially dumped me. I think I'm allowed." Sabrina says before getting up and heading towards the door.

"Where are you going, after Nicholas?" Prudence asks. "No. To save my friends." Sabrina says before stomping out. After she leaves I turn and stare at Prudence with wide eyes. "What?" She asks with a laugh. I pick up one of the pillows and begin hitting her with it.

"Coming Freya?" Sabrina calls from outside. "Mhm!" I call back before hitting Prudence one more time. She just laughs at me as I start to leave the church.

"Good luck handmaiden." "Fuck off." I say with a laugh as I give her the finger over my shoulder.