Witching Hour

Sabrina

I've never been good at telling lies. I mean, yeah, no one knows that I'm a witch.... but that isn't lying. More like an omission of the truth. Today's walk home felt longer than usual. Harvey had started walking me home... but then things went awry. 

Right now all I want is a nice hot bath and some of Aunt Hilda's calming cookies. If this didn't go well with Harvey.... there's no way this will go well with Freya. I give Ambrose a small smile as I walk up to the stairs of the house. He's in his normal spot, perched on the railing. That boy never knows how to sit correctly. He's always dramatically sprawled all over the place.

"Hey." "Hey."

"Why so glum?" He asks. "Sabrina...." "I was trying to tell Harvey that I was leaving Baxter High to go to some-" "posh boarding school in Connecticut." He finishes with a smile. While his smiles are usually infectious, I couldn't bring myself to smile back. "But then I didn't want to lie to him, Ambrose.... so I told him I was a witch." 

Ambrose's eyes widened but he knew better than to say anything to me. He knows that I'm not in the mood for a lecture. "Oh."

I looked down and focused on my shoes. "But it was too wrenching. so I took it back." "Wrenching in what way?" "In every way" I say throwing my hands up. "If I can't tell Harvey, how am I ever going to be able to tell Susie or Roz. Let alone Freya. This whole situation is impossible. I love Harvey. I love Freya. I love my friends. I don't want to say goodbye to them."

"Oh cousin, if only I could make things easier for you." "Actually Ambrose, maybe you can... I'm bringing Freya over tomorrow. Could you possibly help me with her. I won't have the strength to take it back once I've said it to her."

"Freya... the one you always talk about....which one is she?" "You know all those photos I have in my room." He nods. "The one you called 'the pretty redhead'." "Ohhh. That one." I start to head into the house before I get an idea. 

"And one more thing. Can we help me with a spell later? To deal with my principal? So I can set up a club at school before my baptism."

"My grimoire is your grimoire. And what time will we be spell casting?" "Midnight" "The witching hour... spooky." I give him a smirk and head into the house. I will definitely be needing some of those calming cookies.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Freya

All I wanted when I got home was a hot shower and some of Parker's shitty homemade cookies. I'm sure I could sneak a few before she gets home. Besides, who is going to tell on me. Well Winnie might but that's not the point. She's my little partner in crime. She would never give me up like that.

"Jesus Freya! There you are!" Parker yelled. "Oh no my day was good thanks for asking." I say rolling my eyes and tossing my bag down. "It took you longer than usual to get home today." she says. "I'm sorry! Must have been stuck in my head. Park, you okay?" 

She nervously paces across the living room. You could tell something was wrong immediately. She has always been a chaotic worry wart, but this was uncharted territory. My sister? Pacing around a dirty living room? Something is off.

"I need you to come straight home from now on, okay?" "Why? Don't you trust me-" "Freya a man was stabbed to death yesterday." 

Wait. What? Nothing ever happens here. Sure, we hear that there's some trouble over in Riverdale. But we never have issues on our side of the river. "Seriously? That's so unlike Greendale. Are you sure it happened here?" I ask. "I saw the body at the hospital this morning. It's being shipped off the the Spellman Mortuary tomorrow. Just try to be more careful. I know I sound paranoid but the last thing I need is for something to happen to my baby sister." 

"Relax Parker. I'll come straight home I promise. Just try to breathe okay. You sound like Grandma when she would get stressed." This earns me a glare. Grandma is great and all but you do not want to be compared to her. "Funny you should mention the Spellman's. I was actually wondering if I could go to Sabrina's after school tomorrow. I'll call you the second I get there. I promise." 

Parker just looks at me trying to decide if I should go out. I mean she did just tell me that I shouldn't be going out anywhere and here I am asking to go out two seconds later. "You're going to her house? Hmmm. Fine but you need to call me. If you don't I will drive there and kill you myself okay?" 

"Mhmm sure Parker." I say skipping into the kitchen and grabbing a handful of cookies. "I love you Freya." "Yeah Yeah and I love you as much as I love these cookies." "Can't tell if that's a compliment or not."

I just wink at her and run down the hall to my room.