Solstice Nights

Freya

"How is Leticia faring?" Aunt Zelda asks as she peers into the little bassinet on the table in the middle of the parlor. "Not a cry since her bottle." Ambrose says as I enter the parlor with a new kettle of tea for everyone. After helping out Susie, we all decided to put on our pajamas and finish out the solstice together. After pouring everyone a new cup of tea, I take my place on the couch in between Ambrose and Sabrina. Kai, Leviathan, and Salem are curled up in front of the fire.

 Kai, Leviathan, and Salem are curled up in front of the fire

Comfy pajamas was the theme for tonight. It's what we all deserved after being out in the cold for so long. I didn't realize how cold I was until Ambrose plopped me down in front of the fire before getting us clothes to change into. 

"She's a strong, brave girl." Aunt Zelda says as she looks at Leticia. "Yes she is." I coo in a baby voice. "Aunt Zelda?" Sabrina asks. I look up to see Aunt Zelda with a sad look on her face. I thought I might have seen a tear or two but I might have been imagining things.

"What is it?" Sabrina asks. "I've made a decision. About Leticia. I'm taking her to Desmelda's after the midwinter holiday. Ambrose was right. We can't keep her a secret from Father Blackwood forever. And, what if, Satan forbid, Gryla were to come back next solstice. The truth is, she's not safe here." Aunt Zelda says with a sniffle. 

"She's safer than with her father." Aunt Hilda says placing a supportive hand on Aunt Zelda's shoulders. "Desmelda can raise her in seclusion. Teaching her the old ways, as is her birthright. Of course, I'll visit her and provide for her, that's only right. I'm her night mother after all." Aunt Zelda explains.

"Aunt Z..." Sabrina starts. "No, Sabrina, I've quite made up my mind. Besides, I've got more than my hands full with you lot." She explains. She reaches into the bassinet and holds Leticia in her arms. She nods to Ambrose who picks up a book and clears his throat. I cuddle into his side and wait for the story to begin. 

---------------------------------

Freya

"That was a beautiful story." I tell Ambrose as he closes the book. He smiles and stretches. "Yes, it was. Too bad no one was awake to hear the end of it." He jokes. The Aunties and Leticia had gone to bed a while ago. Sabrina had fallen asleep on the couch on the other side of the parlor. Even the familiars had scattered. 

"Merry Solstice, my love." Ambrose says as he places a kiss on the top of my head. "A Merry Solstice to you as well." I say as I give him a quick peck on the lips. "You know, one solstice tradition that I've always enjoyed hasn't even begun yet." He says quietly. I look at him and raise and eyebrow.

"Presents." He says as he pulls a small box out from under the table. "You know you didn't have to get me anything, right?" I ask as he places the box in my hand. He smirks. "Well I felt like doing something nice for you. Besides, I may or may not have seen the special copy of Catcher in the Rye under your side of the mattress." He says. My eyes widen.

"You weren't supposed to see that!" I whisper yell as I push his chest playfully. He just smiles and leans in for another kiss, which I accept. He sits back and looks at me for a moment. "Go on, open it." He says with a smile. I roll my eyes and begin to undo the beautiful wrapping paper. 

"Ambrose Spellman....." I say as I look between him and the gift. I'm instantly taken aback by what is inside the little box. "Go on, put it on." He says as he nudges me. I smile and go to place it on my left ring finger when he stops me. 

"Not on that finger. That one will get another ring some day." He says with a smirk which makes my cheeks flush. I slip it onto my right ring finger. It fits perfectly, as if it was magic. It probably was if you really think about it. It was the most beautiful antique ring that I have ever seen.

 It was the most beautiful antique ring that I have ever seen

"I.... I don't know what to say. It's so beautiful Ambrose." I say as I wrap him up in a hug. He laughs. "Quiet. You don't want to wake Sabrina." He jokes. When I finally release him from the hug he grabs my hand and kisses the ring.

"It's amethyst. A stone made for protection and health. Since Winter has the charm I made, I figured I would find another way to have you protected. Figured that whenever you would wear this, my magic will always be with you. It's also an old family heirloom. It's been in my side of the Spellman family for millennia. It's about time that it settled at its final location." He explains. 

"I don't know what I did to deserve you." I say as I pull him in for another hug. I keep looking down and admiring how beautiful it is. "I'll never take it off. That way I'll always have your protection." I tell him.

"Not that I need it. I'm a big strong girl. I can handle things myself." I tease. He rolls his eyes and pulls me onto his lap. I swear I get lost in those beautiful brown eyes each time. 

"I love you Freya Hale." He mumbles as he pecks my lips. "And I love you, Ambrose Spellman." I giggle as I kiss him again. This goes on for a few more minutes before we are full blown making out on the sofa.

"You guys are disgusting." Sabrina groans from the other side of the room.

Happy Solstice.