Witchy Women

Freya

The man's name is Faustus Blackwood. He is apparently the High Priest of the Church of Night. No clue what that is but I assume it's like a coven? Maybe Sabrina's coven. Is Sabrina even in a coven? I've never been so lost in my life.

"Your Aunts tell me that you are having doubts about your dark baptism." What the fuck is that? "That you may, in fact, not be signing your name in the book of the beast." Father Blackwood explains. Sabrina looks just as confused as I do so at least I'm not alone in this. Sabrina starts to say something but he cuts her off. "Let me see what I can do to convince you girls." He says as he sits back in his chair.

"I'm sorry to intrude... but I have absolutely no clue what is going on here. Convince us? We're special? I think you have me confused with another-" "Are you not Freya Hale. Daughter of Damian and Harper Hale?" "No I am-" "Did you not just turn 16 a few days ago-" "Yes I did but what are you saying. You're making it seem like I'm a-" "A witch? That's because you are." Father Blackwood says. 

I could have passed out right then. I think I did for a second or so. I felt all eyes on me. This must have been news to the Spellman family because they had nothing but shock written across their faces. I just study Blackwood's face. Waiting for a sign that he was kidding. Sabrina grabbed my hand. 

"It was a shame when your parents died. They went down with Edward and Diana. Your father was my right hand man. I taught him everything he knew. It is your birth right to take your place in the church of night Freya. You, along with Sabrina, will sign your name in the book of the beast and you will have access to the greatest power. You will be reborn in our Dark Lord's heart." Tears were stinging my eyes but I'd be damned I let any spill. Dark Lord? Baptism? What is going on here. The silence was deafening. The only thing I could hear the the fire crackle and the sound of my own heart beat.

"Now, Sabrina, your aunties tell me you have questions, about your baptism and such." Sabrina nods slowly. "A witch's dark baptism is our most sacred unholy sacrament. The oldest of our rites. We've been performing them for centuries. Our Dark Lord's book, the book of the beast, is the most ancient tome in existence." Father Blackwood explains.

"About that," Sabrina interjects. "If I- if we sign our names in the book of the beast does that mean that we are giving the Dark Lord dominion over my soul?" She asks. Wait what? I'm selling my soul to Satan. Holy shit I'm a witch. That just hit me.

"That's one interpretation, but it's a largely symbolic gesture, as rituals in most religions are. What else?" He asks. "Let's say we sign our names, does that mean he can call on us?" Sabrina asks. Oh so now I'm doing the Devil's dirty work? I'm so confused. Do I praise Satan now? "All religions demand some sacrifice, but signing your name is more like a pledge let's say." Father Blackwood explains. 

"I'm not an evil person, Father Blackwood." I blurt out before I can stop myself. Great no he's going to kill me. I fucked up. Instead, he just laughs. "I'm glad to hear it. Neither am I. Neither are Sabrina's aunts. "But the devil-" I continue "he is the embodiment of evil?" I ask. 

"The Dark Lord," Blackwood corrects "but incorrect, he is the embodiment of free will. Good. Evil. Those words matter to the False God, but the Dark Lord is beyond such precepts." I just nod. Okay. This isn't the worst thing in the world. 

"What about my boyfriend? Why do I have to leave him?" Sabrina asks suddenly. I can see both of her Aunts freeze up out of the corner of my eye. "Your boyfriend is mortal? There is an inherent incompatibility. Should you become a full witch......" Blackwood explains. I take this moment to look around the room. I scan the room for any sign of normalcy when I'm greeted by the most beautiful pair of eyes I have ever seen. 

The figure by the fire place, who I think is Sabrina's cousin, is staring at me. I give him a quick scan before settling on his eyes again. Maybe it's the lighting from the fire, maybe my head is all fucked up right now, or maybe it's something else. But I swear to God, or should I say Dark Lord, that this man was the most perfect being I have ever laid my eyes on. He gives me a full body scan and then turns back to Father Blackwood. 

"Freya, Sabrina, it is right that you have so many questions. My advice? Take your dark baptism girls. Come to the Academy of Unseen Arts. Learn our history and find answers to your questions. Challenge them. Make us stronger. Will you try?"  Sabrina and I slowly nod. I didn't even realize I was doing so until I was already nodding.

"Well in that case, if there is nothing else-" Father Blackwood says standing. "Actually..." A deep voice says. My eyes darted to the man in the corner. Almost forgetting he was there in my weird trance. "There is." The two men and the Aunts disappear somewhere further into the house.

Sabrina turns to me and engulfs me in a hug. "Freya I'm so sorry you found out like this?" I hug her back. "Did you know? I won't be mad but I need to know." I ask. She shakes her head no. "Come on. Let's go upstairs and I will explain everything." I just nod and let her pull me up the stairs and through the halls of the Spellman home.

I, Freya Cassandra Hale, am a witch.

Holy Shit.