Goodbye

I'm so sorry for this.

Ambrose's POV

The world seems to move in slow motion. We had been so close. So close to escaping this place. I know I could have saved her. I had sensed that there were more intruders than we had originally thought. She was so close to the door. She shouldn't have waited for me. Blackwood looked me dead in the eye when he dragged the knife across her throat. As if we wanted to see all the hope drain from me.

The dollhouse in her hands is the first to fall. It hits the ground with a thud. All I can do is watch in horror. She looks at me and I don't know what to do. I'm frozen in place. I just watch as her eyes roll back and she falls to the floor. Her blood spilling all over immediately. 

The realization of what just happened hits me and I'm overtaken by emotion. It starts down in my stomach and works its way through my until I can't control it anymore and I just let it out with a yell. A yell so powerful that it pushes everything in the room away from me at an immeasurable speed. 

The Judas boy behind me is thrown back into a wall and I hear the crunch of his body bouncing off of it. I watch as Blackwood gets thrown back as well. I don't see his collision because I'm too busy running over to the love of my life. 

I drop down my bag which contains the egg and forget about the situation at hand. All I can focus on is the fact that I'm quickly losing the best thing that's ever happened to me. The blood is pouring so quickly that her clothes are drenched and the ground below her starts to stain. 

"Freya. No. You can't- you can't leave me. Not here. Not now. Not like this." I manage to say. Her eyes are open but I can tell she's struggling to focus on me. I didn't even realize how hard I was crying until I watch my tears fall down onto her face. 

I'm not doctor but I know that she is at a point that's impossible to recover from. All I want to do is heal her. Use my energies to keep her going as long as I can but I know that my magics aren't that strong yet. 

"Come on. I'll get you out of here." I tell her as I place my arms around her back, trying to pick her up. She goes to say something but all she does is gurgle and choke on the blood that seems like it never stops pouring. 

"Shhhhh. It's okay. Don't speak. We can still get out of here." I tell myself more than her. She musters up the last of her strength to push against her chest. I know what she wants. She wants me to leave her here. She wants me to grab the twins and the egg and escape. Without her. 

"I can't leave you here. I can't." I tell her through my sobs. Her eyes start to close and the blood starts to slow. Her heart is finally giving out. There's no more blood to pump through her veins. It's all over her, staining her white shirt a deep red color. Staining my clothing and skin that same color. 

I hear a smash of something in the hall. I raise my arms ready to blast whoever it is into oblivion when it enters the room. Instead of it being a Judas boy, or a pagan, in trots Kai. The second he sees Freya dying on the floor he starts screaming. He runs over to us and continues to scream and cry.

The white of his underbelly is quickly drenched in her blood as he circles her head. He cries and rubs his head against hers as if he's trying to get her to wake up. He licks her cheek and when she doesn't move he begins to scream even louder.

When a familiar's witch or warlock dies, they die a few days after. Their soul purpose in life if to protect their witch, so without this purpose, they die. In this moment, I can understand why. Kai and I now have lost the one important thing to us. 

I pick up Freya's limp, pale hand and kiss her knuckles. "I love you so much Hale. I don't care if you don't hear me right now. I need to tell you. Okay? I love you." I tell her. I gently place her hand down next to her and kiss her forehead. She's ice cold. I know she's gone but I won't let myself believe that. 

In the corner, Blackwood starts to stir and this forces me to get up and leave Freya's side. I march over to him, ready to kill him for what he did to her. I raise my hands to curse him with a violent and painful death when I notice a sigil carved onto his body. Not just any sigil, the mark of Cain.

Fuck.

The mark of Cain makes one immortal. I couldn't kill him no matter how hard I try. He stirs once more and I run back to Freya and Kai. He's still trying to wake her up with nudges and kisses. I grab the dollhouse and my bag with the egg.

"She's gone. We have to go. Now." I tell him as I wipe some stray tears from my cheeks. He hisses at me and curls into her side further. "You can't save her. Please. Please come with me. You're all I have left of her." I plead with the fucking fox. 

He seems to finally understand that she's not coming back so he gives her one last kiss before getting up from her side. "Good boy." I tell him. I make sure I have everything  I need before we run to the main door. I take one last look at Freya on the floor before running down the stairs and into the woods by the house.

Kai and I run for what feels like hours. We run and cry. My sobs and his howls. We sound pathetic and I don't even care. Whenever I feel like passing out I'm just haunted by the image of Freya laying dead our home. That makes me run even harder. Even faster.

The tears and sobs take over my body and start to cloud my vision. So clouded that I don't see the rouge branch on the ground in front of me. My legs get caught and I go face first into the dirt of the woods. I push myself up onto my hands and knees and desperately try to cram everything back into my bag.

Amongst the books and papers, is an object that I don't quite recognize. I grab the small object and turn it over in my hands. What I see is enough to make me want to vomit. I curl up on the ground and start to scream. 

In my hands is my biggest fear. 

That stupid card I took that day in the book store.

The death tarot card.