Last Resorts

Freya's POV

I sit with my head in my hands on one of the nearby autopsy tables as Parker attempts to find the bullet within Aunt Zelda to save her life. Parker asked me for help but I froze completely. Too busy staring at the blood on my hands. Luckily, Mambo Marie was on her way over with Prudence and jumped in to help. 

"Here it is." Parker says as she gently removes the bullet. She drops it into the tray with a sickening thud. "Is there something more we could be doing?" Prudence asks as she watched from the stairs. "I am afraid not." Parker says sadly.

"If we are going to save Zelda's life, she will need great strength." Mambo Marie says. She looks at Ambrose, Prudence, Sabrina, Parker, and I. "And you all have no strength to give." She adds after a second. Sabrina turns to Ambrose and he gives her a hug. 

"There is life within her." Parker says as she begins stitching up the wound. "But she is lost between the land of the dead and the living. Her spirit was wandered deep into the in between." Mambo explains with a sigh. 

"So she's in limbo?" Sabrina asks quietly. "Different words for the same place. Now we wait. The Hale's have kept her alive this long, so now we shall burn the violet candles. That is the best way to lead Zelda back to us." Mambo explains. She's about to explain more when the sound of a woman wailing comes from outside.

"Oh no. What now?" I ask. "I have an idea but if it's what I think it it, don't let it into the house. Parker and I can take it from here-" "I've done all I can. I need to get back to my daughter. If there's a war about to start I need to be there to protect her." Parker says cutting off Mambo. 

"Go. I will stay and monitor Zelda. You four go and see." Mambo says with a dismissive nod. Parker gives me a quick hug before disappearing out one of the back doors. I follow Sabrina, Ambrose, and Prudence up the stairs into the house and into the lobby. 

We funnel onto the porch to find the source of the nonstop wailing. About 100 feet away from the house is a woman. A woman in all black with a hood so large that there is no seeing her face. She doesn't seem to be advancing on the house. She just stands there and screams. 

"That would be a banshee." Ambrose states. "Why would she be here?" Sabrina asks. "It's an omen, Sabrina. I'm sorry but a member of this household is going to die soon." Prudence says as she hangs her head. 

"Not if I have anything to do about it." I say as I push off the railing and run back into the house.

--------------------------

Freya's POV

"This is insane! Aunt Hilda was turned into a spider and buried in the Cain Pit. Aunt Z is downstairs hovering between life and death. Pagans are trying to take over Greendale. My father is who knows where. And despite all out efforts, we are still powerless." Sabrina says as she paces in the kitchen. 

"We need energy. That is the crux, and I think I know of a way we can get it but it is quite cut throat." Ambrose says as he slides out of my way as I rummage through ever cabinet, every drawer, ever crevice I can to try to find something to help.

"As things stand right now, Aunt Hilda may not resurrect. Aunt Zelda might not wake up." Sabrina says. Ambrose sighs. "Using the hedge witches to imbue you with power gave me this idea. I found a spell. A siphoning spell. If we can get them into the center of the stone circle in the Academy, we can take their energy and replenish our coven." Ambrose explains. 

"The why aren't we already doing the siphoning spell?" Sabrina asks. I slam the drawer shut that I was looking in. "It will kill them." I say with a sigh. "Then they die with honor." Prudence says as she enters the kitchen. Kai on her heels. I sink down against the cabinet and allow Kai to curl up in my lap. 

"No. We didn't invite them to slaughter them. That's what the Pagans would do. We need to figure out another way." Sabrina says. "Unless you know of a younger, fitter, more nubile coven to bring into the circle-" "Hold on." Sabrina says with an evil look.

"It's the very definition of an unholy magdalene, but I think Freya and I already belong to one." She says. 

--------------------------------------

Freya's POV

"Roz! Can we talk to you for a sec?" Sabrina asks as we race down the halls of Baxter High towards our friend. For the record, I would just like to say that this was all Sabrina's idea. I want no credit in this.

'Sure. I kinda wanna talk to you too, but you go first." Roz says. "Okay. Freya and I find ourselves in need of a young, energetic group of women who often chant and move in unison." Sabrina explains. "The Ravenettes?" Roz asks. Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner. Let's offer our cheerleading team to the coven. Like I said: Sabrina's idea.

"Exactly. I mean, what are cheerleaders if not a kind of coven?" Sabrina says. "Any chance you'd be willing to help us with a performance at the Academy? Ambrose has a plan to re-energize the coven. It's literally a matter of life and death." I explain.

 "How can I say no to that?" Roz says hesitantly. "What did you want to talk to me about?" Sabrina asks. "Oh... it can wait." Roz says as she scratches the back of her neck. We walk down the hall in awkward silence before Roz speaks again. 

"So how exactly are we going to get the Baxter High Ravenettes to perform at your witch school?" She asks. "Together, Freya and I might be able to pull off the tiniest spell of persuasion." Sabrina says with a smirk. "Look alive." I say as I put on a fake smile. 

"Hey girls! Whatcha talking about?" Lizzie says with the biggest smile possible. I swear she's a walking ray of sunshine. 

"You're timing couldn't be more perfect." I chirp.