We Have Company

Freya

The whole walk home consisted of Aunt Zelda scolding Sabrina, Aunt Hilda, and I for doing something so reckless and her complaining about how annoying Miss Wardwell was. Praise Satan Miss Wardwell had gone straight home, or else there would be a bad ass witch fight right now.

"Well, we couldn't have done it alone. Especially not without you." I tell Aunt Zelda. She gives me a small smile. "The first witch exorcism performed. That seemed like something I should witness first-hand." She tells me while putting a comforting arm around my shoulders. The house grew bigger and bigger as we approached it. It wasn't until we got closer that I saw three outlines on the porch.

The first was Salem, yowling in joy at Sabrina's return. The next was Kai, standing at full attention with his nose in the air, sniffing to make sure that it was really us. The third was Ambrose Spellman. The second we reached the stairs, he ran down then and engulfed us all in a big hug. 

"Praise Satan you are all alright." He says. Aunt Zelda shrugs him off. "Yes, yes. Now if you will excuse me, I need a hot cup of tea." She says walking up the stairs. "Yes, about that. We have company." Ambrose tells us. Wondering who it could be, we all start walking up the stairs into the house. Ambrose reaches out and gently grabs my wrist, pulling me in for a hug.

"You're really stupid, you know that?" He tells me with a laugh. I push him off playfully. "I was just trying to do the right thing. Besides, no one got hurt. Well, besides when a dresser jumped out and attacked me." I joke. "Oh yeah? How did it do that?" He asks with a smile. "When the demon lunged for us, I made the great decision to run full force into it. That's all." I tell him. His smile falls.

"Where does it hurt?" He asks. I lift the corner of my shirt to expose the small bruise forming on my hip. It was really nothing, but Ambrose looked at it like the bone was sticking out through my skin. "I should've been there." He says softly, running his fingers along the bruise. "Ambrose, It's fine. Really. I wish you were there too, but we handled it." I tell him. I give him one last hug before he tells us that we should get inside. That we shouldn't leave our guest waiting for us.

Ambrose and I stroll into the parlor where everyone is waiting for us. By everyone, I mean Sabrina, the Aunties..... and Father Blackwood. "And to what do we owe the honor of this visit?" Aunt Zelda says with a smile. 

"It has come to my attention, Sister Zelda, that you Sabrina, Freya, and your excommunicated sister just performed an unauthorized exorcism." He says with venom in his voice. "Word travels fast amongst the dammed, it seems." Hilda says under her breath. Aunt Zelda shoots Ambrose a threatening glare. "For the record, I did not inform him. His excellency had and inkling and..." Ambrose says trailing off. Aunt Zelda keeps glaring at him. I swear he tries to hide behind me for a second, but I brush this thought away.

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't excommunicate the pack of you." Father Blackwood says advancing towards us. Zelda, being the bad bitch she is, struts forward and meets him in the middle. "I can give you two." She says with a sickly sweet smile. "Earlier today, I recieved the results of your wife's tests. Congratulations, Father Blackwood. Constance is expecting twins." She tells him. Father Blackwood's expression changed immediately. Praise Satan Zelda is LAdy Blackwood's midwife or else we would all be ruined by now.

"Twins?" He asks, a hint of excitement in his voice. "Yes, it's good news. However, it may be a difficult pregnancy. Not to worry though, I'll be tending to her every need. Unless, of course, you feel I, or any members of this household, are unworthy in some way." Aunt Zelda says. I can do nothing but smirk. Aunt Zelda can be cold sometimes, but damn is she clever. 

Without another word, Father Blackwood turns and walks out the front door. To celebrate our little victory, Sabrina, Ambrose, the Aunties, and I go to the kitchen to celebrate with a nice cup of tea before bed. I take my spot at the table next to Ambrose and we all sit in silence, enjoying the fact that we were all still alive and with powers.

"What's the matter?" I ask Ambrose seeing that he hasn't touched his tea. "Nothing, just my melancholia." He says with a straight face. "Why, what's happened?" Aunt Hilda asks, suddenly concerned. "Nothing. Nothing's happened, which is the problem. You, Auntie Zee, Sabrina, and Frey performed an exorcism. Meantime, I was here, trapped, doing jack all." He tells the table. I find his hand under the table and take it in mine, trying to comfort him. 

"While I was with Father Blackwood, I asked him about commuting my sentence. He did not give me hope." He says hanging his head. I rub my thumb across his knuckles trying to tell him things will be okay. "Perhaps we all just need some sleep-" Aunt Hilda says but she gets cut off by the phone ringing. She rushes over to get it. 

"Who could be calling at such an hour?" Aunt Zelda asks annoyed. Aunt Hilda comes back into the room with her head hung low. "What's wrong Aunt Hilda?" Sabrina asks. "Jesse passed. The Putnam's just got home and found him. His poor heart gave out." She says. We all just sit there in silence, trying to process what we were just told. After all we had done, we still couldn't save him. 

We all sit there for who knows how long. One by one, we get up and walk to our rooms until it's just me and Ambrose at the table. "Come on." I say standing. He silently stands. I expect him to let go of my hand, but he keeps on holding it. We silently make our way up the stairs. As we approach my room, I begin to tell him goodnight. But he pulls me right past my room and up the stairs. We make it into his room and he pulls me down with him onto his bed. 

We don't say another word. We just lay there until we fall asleep. Still holding each other's hands.