Last Challenge

Freya

"Sabrina! This isn't a good idea!" I whisper yell as I follow her through the library at the academy. After one interesting conversation with Miss Wardwell, Sabrina is convinced that Nick is the one summoning demons to attack her. So here we are, running through the bookcases to find him. 

"There his is. Hey Nick!" Sabrina yells walking up to him. I sigh and slow my pace. If there's one thing I don't want to be apart of, it's this argument that's about to happen. Nick is a talented warlock and all, don't get me wrong, but even I know that he isn't skilled enough to call forward the demons that have been attacking Sabrina. 

"How do I always know where to find you?" That addicting accent says from behind me. I turn on my heel to see Ambrose flipping though a book. "I guess we are just connected like that." I say. He smiles and I instantly forget all about Sabrina's war path that she's on. Ambrose scans the room to make sure no one is listening. 

"Care to help me translate this passage. It's being a little tricky. I could use your help." He says as he offer me an arm. "You need my help? You know I suck at translating, right?" I ask as I take his arm. He kisses the side of my head and guides me towards a private study room in the library. 

"Well you always have a way of helping me out." He says as he turns and closes the door. Flicking the lock closed and pulling the shades down. I lean against the table and cross my arms. "Something tells me that you're referring to helping you out with something that isn't translating." I say sarcastically. 

"How'd you guess?" He asks walking towards me. "Lucky guess. Call it instinct. Women's intuition. So tell me, when did you finish translating and how long have you been looking for me?" I ask with a smirk. 

"I finished translating an hour ago. Been looking for you ever since." He says. "Well here I am." 

---------------------

Freya

The rest of that day was a blur. Honestly. I don't remember where the majority of the day went. By the time Ambrose and I had locked up for the day, it was already dark out. After a quick meal, a cup of tea, and a hot shower, I was out like a light. My sleep schedule has been so screwed up lately that I'm surprised that I wasn't exhausted when I woke up this morning. I honestly wanted to sleep in until I realized that it was the morning of the last challenge.

 I honestly wanted to sleep in until I realized that it was the morning of the last challenge

So here I am, sitting in the pews in the church, waiting for Nick and Sabrina. Ambrose has one hand on the exposed skin between my shoulder blades and the other resting on my thigh. I'm twirling the ring on my finger. Praying that Brina does well in this competition. I feel kinda shitty for not helping her study last night. Guess I was a little distracted.

"For the final challenge, both Mr. Scratch and Miss Spellman's knowledge of demonic conjuring will be put to the test. As we well know, the more complex and exact the sacred geometry used, the more impressive the demon they'll be able to summon and safely contain within the circle's circumference." Father Blackwood announces while Sabrina and Nick enter the church. They start drawing their circles on the floor and practice their incantations. 

"In your own good time, Miss Spellman, Mr. Scratch." Father Blackwood says stepping back. "We're ready Father Blackwood." Nick says. Father Blackwood smiles and motions for the final challenge to begin. Sabrina gives Nick a nod and they quickly connect their circles. 

"Oh for fucks sake. What now?" I mumble, sinking down into the pew. Ambrose leans forward to try to get a better view. "What are you two playing at? Sever your circles at once. This is not within the rules of the challenge." Father Blackwood demands. "Neither is sending demons to attack and kill me, Father Blackwood." Sabrina yells. Here we go.

"I beg your pardon. What are you accusing me of?" Father Blackwood asks, bewildered. "I am accusing you, or someone in this room, of being so against my bid to be Top Person that they would send high demons to attack me." Sabrina says. "So we're using our combined talents and the magics of this binding shape to get the truth straight from the horse's mouth." Nick announces to the coven. 

The two begin their summoning spell and everyone goes silent. I hold my breath and grip Ambrose's hand. If they pull this off, it will be the hardest conjuring any student has ever pulled off. They're already in deep trouble, might as well make it worse. Three demons appear in the combined circles in the front of the church. I instantly recognize the first two as the two that attacked Sabrina and I. I stiffen up as on hisses at me. Ambrose pulls me close and squeezes my hand. 

"Demons! We fix and hold you in our grasp." Nick says. "Demons, we keep you bound by Satan's will." Sabrina says. "We command you to speak your names aloud." They say at the same time. "I am Beelzebub, Lord of Flies." One answers. "I am Asmodeus, Lord of Vermin." The second says. "And I am Purson, Lord of Shadow." The final answers. Boy. I'm going to be sick.

"You three Kings of Hell were sent here, dispatched with orders to kill me. Who gave the order?" Sabrina demands. One of the torches on the wall ignites and the flames are big enough to add a couple of degrees to the room. "Was it a witch? A warlock? Or was it.... the High Priest?" Sabrina asks.

"We are not pawns of the filthy little covens of Satan, girl." One laughs. "Neither are we pawns of Satan." The second adds. "We are not commanded. We are Kings. And we wish death upon the half-spawn witch and the chaos she engenders! She must be stopped." The third finishes. "The half-witch must not ascend!" The three yell out. 

"Enough!" Father Blackwood yells. "Beelzebub, I banish you. Purson, I banish you. Asmodeus, I banish you." Father Blackwood says. One by one, the demons disappear until they are gone. "And you two, you make a mockery of the Academy. I want you both in my office, immediately." Blackwood demands. 

--------------------------------

Freya

"You put all of your classmates at risk. And did you find the answer you were looking for, Agatha Christie?" Father Blackwood scolds. Sabrina and Nick stand with their heads hung low in front of him. Ambrose, Purdence, Aunt Zelda, and I huddle in the corner. I wasn't even supposed to be here, but I fought my way in so I could see my best friend. 

"You heard the demons yourself. No one conjured them." Sabrina says. "Demons acting of their own volition they must be riled up about something." Nick adds. "They're demons. Ascribing motivation to them is folly. And there is still the matter of Top Boy to be settled. If today made anything clear, it's that neither of you are capable of holding that office, so I'll be making the appointment myself." Father Blackwood says leaning back in his chair. 

"I, Faustus Blackwood, am naming Ambrose Spellman as new Top Boy." He declares. I'm in shock. Did I hear that right? "Ambrose doesn't even go to this academy!" Sabrina exclaims. Brina! Stop talking! You can have your mean girls moment later. Right now you just need to shut up before you get in more trouble. 

"A technicality easily remedied. From this moment on, Ambrose is admitted as a full-time student to the Academy of Unseen Arts." Blackwood says. I turn to Ambrose and he's trying to hide his smile. I take his hand and squeeze it. Even if it came at a shitty time, he deserves all the praise he is receiving.

Sabrina looks over her shoulder and just glares at us. As if we were the ones who set this all up. Wow, dinner tonight is going to be full of interesting conversations.