The Matching

Freya 

The whole coven was buzzing with energy the next morning. Witches and Warlocks dressed in shades of red and black filtered through the hallways laughing and flirting. The Lupercalia matching ceremony was about to start and my boyfriend was the key component in this. Being Top Boy's girlfriend has some perks. So we strut through the halls, arm in arm, like the true power couple we are.

 So we strut through the halls, arm in arm, like the true power couple we are

"Welcome, one and all to the Lupercalia, the festival of wolves. Brother Ambrose." Father Blackwood calls out into the main room of the academy. Ambrose walks into the center of the room and claps his hands together so everyone pays attention to him. 

"All right, fellas, take your place for the matching!" Ambrose yells. All the warlocks in the room sit in chairs in a circle surrounding a big may pole in the room. "All right ladies, you know how this goes. When the music stops, take a seat on the warlock closest to you." Ambrose explains. Each witch takes a strand of ribbon attached to the may pole. 

"If you would do the honors?" Ambrose asks me softly. I smile and grab a strip of fabric that came off of my dress and tie it around Ambrose's eyes. Blindfolding him. Next, I take his hand and guide him over to the violin perched in the corner. He gets into his stance and takes a deep breath. 

"Don't mess up." I joke as I place a kiss on his cheek. "I never mess up." He replies with a cocky grin. Ambrose takes another deep breath and begins playing an old folk song on the violin. It starts off slow and sweet and the witches gracefully move around the may pole. The tune quickly speeds up and witches waltz around the room, tying up the pole, getting closer and closer to the warlocks. 

It was beautiful to watch. So beautiful in fact that I almost miss my cue. Sabrina comes waltzing up with her ribbon. Right before she walks in front of Nick, I let out a small fake cough with alerts Ambrose to stop playing immediately. Ambrose rips off the blindfold to try to see what happens next and if our plan with Nick worked. 

Right as Sabrina goes to take a seat on Nick's lap, Dorcas quickly pushes her out of the way and jumps onto Nick. She smirks down at Sabrina and gives the worst fake apology ever. Desperation doesn't look good on Dorcas. Sabrina looks absolutely crushed and she walks around the circle until she finds the only open lap. When she finally rounds the circle, her face lights up when she sees that the only lap open.... is the lap of Nicholas Scratch. 

"Wait- what? The who-" Dorcas yells. She looks down at the Warlock beneath her, and instead of Nick it's- "Melvin?" Dorcas cries out in disgust. "Uh... Nick gave me 10o bucks to wear a glamour. He thought you might try something like this." Melvin says quickly. The look on Dorcas's face makes me want to burst out laughing, so I turn into Ambrose's side and he does the laughing for me.

------------------

Freya

"Did you see the look on Dorcas's face!" Sabrina laughed as we walked home. We didn't have any classes for the rest of the day so we decided a nice walk through the woods home was the best way to catch up. "Of course I did!" I laugh back.

"Thank you again Freya. I know you guys set this all up for me." Sabrina tells me. I grab her hand and squeeze it. "If I can't help my best friend get paired with her crush for a sex holiday, than what are friends for?" I say with a smile. Sabrina shakes her head and we climb up the stairs that lead to the house.

"Freya? Sabrina?" A voice calls out. I whip around to see Roz a few feet away from us. "Roz!" I yell out as I run up and hug her. Sabrina is right behind me. If I could just relive this hug over and over again- I would.

"I came by to see if you guys were free." Roz says with a smile, but it quickly leaves her face and she looks confused. "Why are you guys dressed up" She asks. "Just some witch thing. Come on in! Please. We have so much to talk about." Sabrina says as she leads us up the stairs and into the house. 

-----------------

Freya

"This is fun, Roz. We haven't done this in forever." Sabrina says as she tosses me another sugar cookie. We are currently hanging out in Sabrina's room. I'm sure we've been talking and laughing for hours, easily. Although it has only felt like a few minutes. 

"No, I know. Um. But I came here to ask you something, and I wanted it to be face-to-face." Roz says. "Okay." Sabrina says. "Over the last few weeks, Harvey and I have been hanging out. And, well, he asked me to go to the Sweetheart's dance with him. And I haven't said yes yet, because we're still friends." Roz explains all at once. I feel my eyes widen and I take a bite of my cookies. Ah, yes. More drama.

"Roz, Harvey and I are over. For real this time." Sabrina says. "Are you sure?" Roz asks. "100%. I'm sort of dating someone new, too." Sabrina says with a small smile. I almost choke on my cookie. Sort of dating? Since when? Roz's whole face lights up.

"What? Tell me everything!" Roz says all excited. "Well, he's a warlock. His name is Nicholas Scratch." Sabrina says blushing. "Oh, he sounds sexy!" Roz says. "Oh he is." I add playfully. Sabrina gives me a quick glare. 

"What? It's true! I may be taken but I can admit it." I say with a laugh. "Wait- what? You're dating someone too?" Roz asks. "Yeah, my cousin." Sabrina tells her. Roz's jaw almost hits the floor. She quickly shakes this off and looks back to Sabrina.

"Brina, you're being careful right?" She asks. "Yeah. No, uh we're taking things slow." Sabrina says. Bitch how? You just got matched together for a holiday that ends in sex. Where is the taking it slow part? 

"But I really do like him." Sabrina says as she turns red. We all giggle and go back to talking about whatever and we talk and talk and talk. And it's really nice.