Harmonizing

Freya's POV

"A summoning spell to summon wayward witches? I doubt we have the power to enact such a ritual." Aunt Zelda says as Prudence, Ambrose, and I rush into her office. Aunt Zelda stops her pacing and Aunt Hilda looks almost scared.

"Actually, there might be a way. The stones in our clearing. We could use them to amplify our energies and possible send a distress symbol." Ambrose tells them. "To reinforce our numbers. Fortify our covens so we might stand a chance against the pagans." I add on quickly. 

"It's a long shot but it could be our very last hope. We need to be quick about it. Ambrose, Prudence, come with me to gather some students to collect the stones. Freya you stay here and hold down the fort with Hilda." Aunt Zelda commands. The three run out of the room, leaving me with a very confused looking Aunt Hilda.

"Aunt Hilda?" I ask as I approach the desk she's sitting behind. "Are you alright?" I ask. She stares off into space for a moment before snapping back to reality. "What's that love?" She asks cheerily, but not as cheerful as usual. Understandable, we are in the middle of a major crisis.

"I asked if you were okay." "Oh, don't worry darling. I'm quite alright." She says with a weak smile. I'm not one to push, especially not now. "I'm going to gather up some of the coven and tell them what's about to happen. Do you want to come with?" I ask. 

"Of course. Off we go." She says as she rises from her chair and we walk towards the door. I'm about to leave when I hear her footsteps stop. I rest my hand on the door frame and turn around to see her staring intensely at something in the corner of the room.

"Aunt Hilda?" I ask. "There's a fly." She says quickly. "oh kay...." I say as I wait for her to walk out of the room. "Don't you see it? Hear it?" She asks. I shake my head no. "There it is!" She shouts as her head quickly snaps in the direction of the supposed fly.

"I'm going to head down to the coven now.... meet me there?" I ask. She nods but doesn't say anything. I doubt she's even heard me. I sigh and leave the room, hoping that she's alright. This is so unlike her. 

--------------------------------------------

Freya's POV

"Dorcas, with her energies should complete the circle." Ambrose explains as he and Prudence gently place Dorcas in line with the other stones from the clearing. The main room of the academy has been cleared out except for the tall stones surrounding the perimeter. 

"Will this really work?" Prudence asks. "It better." Aunt Zelda said as she walks around the room, taking in all of the stones. "It's ready Aunt Zee." Ambrose says. "Good." Aunt Zelda claps her hands together and everyone in the room jumps. "It's time for the summoning." 

"What the heaven is going on?" Sabrina asks as she rushes into the room, what I'm assuming to be the second regalia in her hands. "Just a spot of redecorating, cousin." Ambrose teases. I nudge his arm playfully before handing out tuning forks to all of the coven. 

"We're summoning hedge witches to assist us against the pagans." I explain. "And you are just in time." Ambrose says as he offers her the last fork. "I have to check on Nick." Sabrina says. "Brina, there's more important matters right now. Ambrose checked like an hour ago. He's fine." I tell her. She sighs and takes her place next to one of the stones. 

I stand in between a stone and Dorcas, ready for anything to happen. Who knows if this is going to work or not. I just want to be ready for when the worst possible thing happens. Because let's be real, that's usually what ends up happening for us.

"Coven, our powers are depleted, and our pagan enemies are closing in. Today, we shall use  the very last of our natural magics to call upon the wayward witches to join us. We stand within a circle of ancient stones. Together they have the power to amplify energy to broadcast our message. But it is up to us and our psychic intention to set them in harmony." Ambrose explains from the middle of the circle. 

"Stones of old, hear our incantation, deliver thus our invitation." Ambrose says as he strikes one of the stones with his tuning fork. One by one, all the witches do the same. Soon the whole room feels like it's vibrating. The reverberations from the tuning forks making a beautiful harmony. 

"We call forth the covenless witches of the forests, the banished, the exiled. All are called upon. All are summoned. Hear us and answer our call!" Ambrose chants. We all lower our tuning forks and begin to chant and call out any names we can. 

We are in the middle of a chant when there is an ear piecing scream. The stones quickly stop harmonizing and  everyone looks around the see what caused the scream. Running into the room, swinging a sledgehammer, is Agatha Night. And she's running straight for the stones. Well, one stone in particular.

"Agatha! Stop!" I scream as she runs closer and closer to Dorcas. I see Prudence freeze in fear. No matter what she chooses she is going to lose a sister. Before really thinking about it I launch myself at her and it's a hard collision. 

I manage to push the sledgehammer away with my foot as Agatha and I fight on the ground. I try to pin her arms to her body but she frees one and starts swinging, easily landing a hit or two. One hits me right where she had bumped me earlier. Now it will definitely bruise.

"Agatha! Agatha stop this!" Prudence yells as she joins me to try to restrain her. "How did you free yourself of your restraints?" Prudence demands as she gets Agatha in a headlock while I pin down her limbs. "He did." She responds.

"Agatha! Who did!?" I scream. "The Dark Lord." Agatha responds before laughing. I turn and look over my shoulder to the Aunties. Now we are really really fucked.

"The Dark Lord is here?" Aunt Zelda asks. "Was. Now he's gone." Agatha says with a pout. A couple members of the coven join us to try to restrain her and I manage to crawl away. Ambrose quickly pulls me to my feet and pulls me in and rests his chin on the top of my head.

"Did the message get sent out?" I ask. "The transmission was cut short. The frequencies never fully harmonized." Ambrose sighs, defeated. I sigh and cuddle up into his side. Suddenly Melvin comes rushing in through the same door that Agatha did moments ago. He tries to say something but it's completely inaudible.

His intrusion caused Ambrose and to both jump, forcing me face first into Ambrose's collarbone. Right where I had just taken the most damage. Ambrose whispers an apology but I guess it's what I deserve considering only a few months ago I was a part of a plot to kill Agatha. Maybe this is sick revenge.

"She hath perished!" Melvin yelled when he caught his breath. "What now?" Aunt Zelda demands. "The Pagans did slay Elspeth. They were never going to absorb us into their ranks. They plan to kill us all for our blood." He explains quickly. The rooms goes silent. Poor Elspeth.

"It's just as I feared." Aunt Zelda says after a moment. "Surrender was never an option."

Well fuck. I was right. Worst possible outcome.