Weird Traditions

Freya

I wake up early the next morning to Ambrose still knocked out next to me. I try to wiggle out of his grasp but he pulls me tighter against him. "Going somewhere?" He asks, still half asleep. "Only if you want tea." I say laughing. He sighs and lets go of me. I make a quick pit stop at my room and throw on some regular clothes considering I'd been wearing this outfit for 24 hours. 

I make my way downstairs and find that Aunt Hilda and Aunt Zelda are already up and awake

I make my way downstairs and find that Aunt Hilda and Aunt Zelda are already up and awake. "Oh good morning sweetheart!" Aunt Hilda calls out to me. She walks over and gives me a quick kiss on the forehead. "I'll put a kettle on so you can bring tea to the sleeping beauties." She tells me. I thank her and start to walk into the kitchen. 

"Freya, could you be a dear and grab today's paper from the front porch?" Aunt Zelda asks. I nod and head to the front door. Right as I step into the main room, Sabrina comes down the stairs. "Morning Frey." She says chipper as ever. "Morning Brina- WHAT THE HELL?" I yell out as I open the door. Nailed to our door is the grossest thing I have ever seen. It looks like an animal's guts. Ambrose, the Aunties, and Sabrina come to see what the commotion is. 

"Aunties? What is this?" Sabrina asks with a disgusted look on her face. "Yeah, why does it look like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre is nailed to the front door?" I ask. Ambrose snorts. Zelda just smiles. "Oh dear, I'll get some sponges." Aunt Hilda says walking into the kitchen. "I'll go get a plastic bag to collect the lamb entrails." Ambrose says walking towards the embalming room. I give them both a weird look. Again, why are these people so calm all the time?

"It's a message from the council. It means our family has been selected to participate in this year's Feast of Feasts." Aunt Zelda explains. "Uhhhhhh what does that mean?" I ask Aunt Zelda as I walk into the kitchen. "Feast of Feasts, Freya, is one of our coven's holiest traditions. It's similar to mortal Thanksgiving, but-" "The menu is slightly different." Ambrose says with a smirk as he washes the blood from his hands in the sink. 

"It's meant to honor the single greatest sacrifice a witch ever made to save her coven." Zelda explains, ignoring Ambrose's comment. "You're named after her, you know. Praise sister Freya, may we meet again." Aunt Hilda says setting down the morning tea. Ambrose sits down next to me and begins pouring his cup. 

"Who's Freya?" I ask. "A queen amongst witches." Aunt Zelda explains. "It's an honor to be named after her." She tells me. "Centuries ago, the 14 women belonging to the earliest incarnation of the Church of Night were chased out of the township of Greendale and into the hills, the forest." Zelda continues before motioning for Aunt Hilda to continue the story. "The men of Greendale had hunted all the animals. So you know, there was nothing to eat." Aunt Hilda says.

"The witches would've starved and died that winter had it not been for the sacrifices of Freya, the youngest, strongest, beautiful witch." Ambrose says nudging my knee with his under the table. "She um..." Ambrose starts before dragging his thumb across his neck. "Wait what?" Sabrina asks confused. "Freya slit her own throat and offered up her body so that the coven would have sustenance through the cold months, into the spring." Aunt Zelda says finishing the story. "Praise Freya." Ambrose and Aunt Hilda say.

"Wait... are we seriously talking about cannibalism?" Sabrina asks. "Why the heaven would my parents name me after a woman who committed suicide so she could be eaten?" I cry out. The whole situation sounds kinda shitty if you ask me. "It's not like the Donner Party." Ambrose says.

"The Feast of Feasts is an annual demonstration of our devotion to the Dark Lord. 14 families from the coven are selected to participate in a lottery. Each family sends forth someone to represent the family" Aunt Zelda says. "Only ladies are eligible because-" Ambrose says but then is cut off by Aunt Zelda. "It is the Dark Lord's will." She says with a smile. "Which is why I will be representing the family." 

"No no no no. Aunt Zelda, you can't." Sabrina pleads. "What if you get picked?" Sabrina asks. "Your Aunt Hilda and I have participated in many lotteries over the years, and the Dark Lord has never seen fit to reward us with choosing us as Queen." Zelda explains before grabbing the bottle of whiskey and exiting the room. And that's that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Freya

Sabrina and I walk through the halls of the academy and all anyone is talking about is the Feast of Feasts. Only they are excited about it. As we turn the corner, we see the weird sisters talking. As we walk by Prudence mentions something about how maybe it will be their turn next year.

"Wait, Prudence, you're part of this lottery?" Sabrina asks. "There were entails on her bed, but she's always been lucky that way." Dorcas and Agatha say at the same time. "Lucky?" I ask. "Hang on. You actually want this?" I ask Prudence. "More than I've ever wanted anything in my life." She says with a smile. 

"Why?" Sabrina asks.  Prudence turns to her and scowls. "You wouldn't understand, half-breed, you're not  real witch but there is no greater honor." She says without a smile. Sabrina catches sight on Nick and runs off to be with him. "Care to walk to class with us?" The sisters ask. I may not fully trust them yet, but I nod and together we walk to class.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Freya

That night, I'm back in the Church where Sabrina was held for court. I guess this is a multipurpose church? Oh well. I'm sitting next to Sabrina in the front pews were the families of the tributes are allowed to sit. Standing on the stage in front of us, are 14 women of all ages, including Aunt Zelda, wearing beautiful cream colored gowns. They each take their place in front of a candle and wait for the ceremony to begin. 

Father Blackwood and Lady Blackwood enter the Church and all of us go silent. The fate of one of these witches was now in their hands. Please Dark Lord let it not be Aunt Zelda. "Tonight we celebrate a time-honored tradition. The Feast of Feats." Father Blackwood says. Lady Blackwood produces a box and starts making her way down the line of tributes. Each woman selecting a piece of paper from the box. 

"Stop!" Sabrina cries out right as Aunt Zelda reaches for a piece of paper. She stands and starts marching towards the stage. I try to grab her arm to pull her back down but she yanks her arm out of my grasp. My friend is a fucking idiot. "I'll draw for the Spellman family." She says. Yup, a fucking idiot. I sink down into the pew and cover my face with my hands, not ready to watch what's about to happen. 

"Sabrina, what in Satan's name are you doing?" Aunt Zelda scolds. "I'm upholding a beloved tradition, Aunt Zelda, unless you want to admit that this whole thing is barbaric, as my father believed." Sabrina says defiantly. "Sister Zelda, is there a problem?" Father Blackwood asks. Aunt Zelda just glares at Sabrina and I watch from in between my fingers. "No, you're excellency. My brave niece would like to represent the family this year." Aunt Zelda says stepping down off the stage. 

"Select your paper." Aunt Zelda says pushing past Sabrina and takes a seat next to me, grabbing my hand and squeezing it in hers. Sabrina looks shocked but takes her place where Aunt Zelda once stood. Lady Blackwood offers her the box and she takes a piece of paper. The box is passed around until all of the women have their pieces of paper.

"Burn them." Father Blackwood commands. The witches stick their papers into the candles in front of them. All of the papers burn instantly. Except for two. Sabrina stumbles back in shock as red smoke starts forming on hers. We make eye contact and my heart shatters. Did Sabrina just get picked? 

"Prudence is Queen!" Father Blackwood announces. My eyes flicker to Prudence's paper which has white smoke coming off of it. My eyes flicker back to Sabrina and we just stare at each other.

What happens now?