Chaos

Freya

I woke up alone. At least I thought I was. I sat up and pushed my messy hair out of my face. I look around the room, expecting to see nothing out of the ordinary, but of course normal isn't exactly something we do around here. Ambrose Spellman is laying in a circle of candles in the middle of the room. Astral Projecting. Again. I sigh and sit on the edge of his bed with Kai and wait for him to wake up. When he does he looks over at me with those big loving eyes.

Only they aren't full of love. They are full of sadness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Freya

I'm sitting on the counter in the kitchen with Ambrose leaning between my legs when Sabrina and Aunt Hilda come in. Sabrina gives me a questioning look, as this is the second day in a row that she has found me in her cousin's clothing. However, I'm in no mood to be questioned or to explain myself. 

"We have news." Aunt Zelda says sadly. I give Ambrose a hug from behind, bracing myself to hear the news a second time. Only this time, I'd have to watch Sabrina's reaction. "I was astral projecting and... I went to the mines. There were no survivors." Ambrose explains. I peak over his shoulder and watch Sabrina's face crumple. 

"Well.... in that case. We should tell them. Harvey is losing his mind with worry. And people might get hurt if the search continues..." She says with tears clouding her eyes. Ambrose moves and allows me to hop off the counter so that I can rush over to Sabrina and give her a hug. She hugs back and lets a few tears go. 

"Unfortunately, we can't do that. This is the struggle of being a witch who consorts with mortals. Having knowledge they don't, not being able to act on it or share it." Aunt Zelda explains. "It just doesn't make any sense." Sabrina whispers into my shoulder. There's silence for a minute or two.

"Did you know him well?" Ambrose asks Sabrina. She slowly pulls away from me to face him. "Tommy? I met him a few times, but he meant everything to Harvey. He.. uh...he's going to be devastated." Sabrina says rubbing her eyes. The doorbell rings and Aunt Hilda rushes to go get it. 

"Sabrina?" Harvey's voice calls out. She wipes her eyes one more time before running into the hallway to see him. I follow, but keep my distance knowing that this is a conversation for the two of them. I sit on the stairs and watch the unfortunate scene play out in front of me. 

"He called off the search!" Harvey yells. "Who did?" Sabrina asks placing a hand on his shoulder trying to get him to calm down. He ignores this. "My asshole father! He said he couldn't risk the loss of any more lives, but I know that's bullshit! He was already talking to the bank and the insurance company, because he cares more about the payout than he does finding Tommy." Harvey explains, well shouts.

"Harvey, he's just worried. Like you-" "No, Sabrina, he's coming here to plan Tommy's funeral for tomorrow!" He tells her. Fuck. Sabrina turns to look at me and I shoot her a sad glance. Nothing we can do now. I know she wants to tell him that Tommy's dead.... but she can't. We can't. Harvey starts breaking down and crying. He starts to fall onto Sabrina but she can't carry his weight. I rush up to help her, but we all end up falling to our knees in a hug. 

-------------------------------------------

Freya

It's not even 24 hours later since that hug happened, and here we are, at Tommy's funeral. I'm about to finish getting ready when Ambrose knocks at the door and peaks his head in. 

"You ready? People are arriving." He tells me. I sigh. "Yeah. Can you help me with this zipper real quick?" I ask. He smiles and he pulls the zipper up and clips the top of my dress. I look at us in my mirror. We would look like such a cute couple right now if we weren't going to a funeral. And if we were a couple. I run my fingers through my red hair one more time and then we set off for the parlor.

 I run my fingers through my red hair one more time and then we set off for the parlor

It seems like everyone from town has shown up. The parlor is absolutely packed. Everyone knew and loved Tommy. He was just one of those guys that you couldn't help but love. Sabrina took her spot up front next to Harvey. I opted to stand in the back with Ambrose. I didn't know Tommy all that well. I figured that his loved ones should be up close. After Roz sings a lovely tribute song, Harvey walks up to the empty casket to say his eulogy. 

"Uh.. We.. uh..." Harvey stammers. I see Sabrina's lips moving and suddenly Harvey starts talking with new courage. A spell. I see you sis. "We're gathered here today to say goodbye to my brother, Thomas Kinkle. Tommy. My best friend. He is-was..... I don't even know what to say. It's crazy to give an eulogy when you're not even sure if.... He called me nerd. He bought me school supplies every year. We talked about everything. We talked about girls. Well.... one girl." He says giving a small glance to Sabrina. I grab Ambrose's arm and try not to cry.

"He protected me from everything that's bad. Once, I asked him what his dream was, and he said that his dream was that my dreams come true. That's just who he was. And I- I miss him. Thank you." Harvey says before returning to his seat. Not a dry eye in the house. Everyone was crying. I even caught Ambrose wiping away a tear.

Mr. Kinkle took his turn at the podium next to the casket. He started a lovely tribute about what an honorable man his son was. Everything was going so great until he mentioned how much Tommy loved working in the mines. 

"No. He didn't." Harvey says, interrupting his father. How's that courage spell working for you know Sabrina? "Tommy hated the mines, dad. He only worked there because you forced him for some stupid family legacy." Harvey says rising. "Tommy could have gotten out of this hellhole if it wasn't for you." Harvey continues. His father clearly has enough and they start arguing. Seeing that it's going to get ugly, Ambrose starts pushing me out of the room. Only, he's not quick enough, I see Mr. Kinkle push Harvey into the casket, causing it to fall over and it opens. 

Harvey pushes past everyone and runs outside. His father quickly runs after him, pushing me aside. Luckily, Ambrose catches my arms and stabilizes me before I fall over. The crowd runs out after the two men to try to stop the chaos. I for one, have had enough, so I stay inside. 

"Come on." Ambrose says. "Let's go fix the parlor before people come back." I nod and we head back in. But what I see surprises me. Roz is standing alone, holding Tommy's mining helmet. She has a far away look on her face and then she suddenly snaps back into reality. 

"Roz?" I ask. She lets out a small squeal and drops the helmet. "You okay?" I ask walking towards her. She nods and steps back away from me. I give her a confused look. She says that she has somewhere to be and she runs out the front door.

"What was that all about?" Ambrose asks handing me a broom. I shrug. "I don't know. Maybe she's just shook up from what just happened. I'll have to ask her about it tomorrow." I tell him. He plants a kiss on my forehead and then we get to work cleaning up knocked over vases and pieces of casket.

Not how I planned this day going.