10

I need to heal my medic.

Even though she had walked for hours and little to no energy left, Hyeri couldn't sit still. Her heart won't let her rest knowing that Namjoon was inside there, going through something that still gives her goosebumps.

Hoping that the boy would succeed in his first try, she herself took an oath to not breathe until Namjoon was out, to show her support. She felt stupid to think like that but it was the only thing that helped her.

Hyeri couldn't help but remember the day when she gave this very test too. The thought of it made her stomach flip and unknowingly she exhaled, breaking the oath.

Breathless, she crouched to the ground and hugged her knees, feeling heavy out of nowhere.

She wanted to cry but she didn't.

She didn't had the energy or will. She was strong. I am strong.

Lost in her world she didn't notice Namjoon coming from the corner of the mountain.

"Hyeri." She heard him call her, his voice held numerous emotions. Fear and disappointment being a few of them.

"I am sorry. I couldn't." He felt tears in his eyes. Weak, he felt weak and tired.

"It's alright. There is still time before it's dark."

"You won't ask me what happened?"

"Nothing I don't already know I guess." Hyeri said and stood up, dusting her dress, only dress, that didn't do much to make it look clean.

Hyeri already guessed what would have happened but Namjoon still wanted to tell her, Like a little boy who writes about his day on his diary, he wanted Hyeri to know.

Moreover he wanted her to show more interest which he could see, she was lacking.

"What is it?" He asked but there was only silence in return.

"You can tell me you know?" Namjoon said again making her sigh.

"I was just thinking about how we'll get berries. We only have enough for four days." Reasonable enough, but Namjoon knew she was not thinking about that.

Has anyone ever told you that you're bad at lying?

Not wanting to push it any further, Namjoon thought it would be best to get to the other side first.

"Hey, wait not yet!" Hyeri gave him a shout on seeing him at the entrance again.

"You should rest a bit and oh God please tell me you didn't inhale anything."

Namjoon passed a hearty chuckle, relieved that Hyeri was still with him mentally.

"For someone who is a resident of purgatory, you sure mention God a lot." Hyeri scoffed at his remark.

"No I didn't inhale anything, I was scared for my life in there."

"Like you should be. I suggest you take some time to collect and then go again." Namjoon gave her a small nod and went to the spot where Hyeri was sitting a few minutes ago.

"Hyeri, you're a good friend material."

"What does that mean?"

"You know girlfriend material? But like in a good friend way."

"Do you think I'm made with good friend skin?"

"If that's a thing." Namjoon nodded receiving back a smile.

"Thank you. I will try to be one for you."

"You already are." Namjoon said with a big smile.

"You're very normal for someone who walked into that weird place."

"It's because I have such a good friend, waiting here for me."

"Ok that's it. I don't want to hear anything more." Hyeri said trying her best to hide the smile that crept on her face.

"I think I should go in again now."

"Aren't you a little eager to do that?" Namjoon looked at the mountain and furrowed his brow.

"The voices I heard there, I don't know how to describe them, I forgot how they sound like." Namjoon felt dumb, more than ever but still felt comfortable somehow to tell Hyeri.

"Don't pay attention to them."

"I tried but it's not that easy." Namjoon reasoned.

Hyeri sighed, knowing too well what he meant. She had been in his shoes before. But she felt the opposite.

When she was giving the test, she wished for everything to disappear. It was only making it harder for her.

Maybe she knew too much then, and it's new for Namjoon.

"Namjoon please try to ignore them. They're not real."

"How can we know that? I opened my eyes but got here again. So how can we say that it is no one?"

"I know it ok?"

"There is no way of knowing that?"

"Just please trust me. Or you can see it for yourself when every time you open your eyes."

"I-I uhh ok." Namjoon said dejected.

He knew she was right. But he was still curious. Mostly because he had no memory of how that voice sounded.

"Why did I forget everything that happened in there?"

"I don't know." She really didn't. She remembered everything like a dream.

"You seem to remember." She nodded.

"I don't know how I remember, maybe you will too when you succeed crossing it." It made sense to him. This was an aspect of the test.

"Ok I'll try my best to not end up here again."

Namjoon was ready to go but Hyeri stopped him again.

"Namjoon even if you hear a familiar voice or touch, don't stop." He nodded, mentally noting the tip his newfound friend gave him as he took a deep breath and set his foot inside the edge line for the second time now, hoping it would be the last.

Namjoon was thinking about what to think and comedically, he had covered half of the length while still thinking of the best topic to think.

A familiar burn in his throat and chest, made water fall from his eyes without his knowledge and his soul joked about how he could just keep thinking about finding a topic and reach the finishing line.

But his feet automatically came to a halt again when he heard the voice again. The same voice as before he could tell somehow.

It made him restless. His heart and soul, his mind, every element was in a war with each other while his legs were still stuck to the ground.