34

Hyeri was sitting outside of the exit of the big building now, she was almost certain that Namjoon will come out from there but her heart was still running like crazy.

It had already been two hours since she last saw him and she was yearning to see a glimpse of him. But she was relieved too, if it was taking him so much time inside, it meant that he was doing good.

She figured he would already be solving his third or fourth quiz and she was right, Namjoon was on his fourth quiz.

More like stuck on the fourth quiz that was starting to freak him out.

Those symbols were imprinted on his mind yet to him it felt like the answer was in the paper.

He turned the paper again to see if he hadn't missed anything but the back paper was empty, only yellowish creaks indicated that the scroll was very old.

He sighed and tried looking the quiz from another perspective. His head felt heavy from overthinking but he didn't think it was supposed to be like that, the first three quizzes were all logical and easily dealt with but this one seemed to trouble him a lot.

"Can't find the answer?" The demon finally spoke seeing the man in front of him sweating profusely.

"Something is wrong, this is not it." He said pointing at the quiz.

"Do you want to use your clue chance?"

Clue chance.

Hyeri had explained it to him, it was a chance that he would get where he could ask for a hint but just one hint for the entire challenge.

Hyeri suggested that he should use the clue chance at the last but Namjoon was literally stuck, he was sure he was going to lose if he didn't use his hint there.

"Yes, I want to use the clue chance." He said trying to look confident but the playful smile on the demon's face showed that he was failing to do so.

"If you choose to take the clue, you can't do that again in the following rounds." The demon warned, trying to see if Namjoon would sink his head further into the paper again.

"I'm aware and I still want to take the clue chance." Namjoon said giving him the paper.

"Very well then." The demon took the paper and folded it so that the fourth column was now hidden and only three columns were visible.

The demon gave the paper back to Namjoon.

"How is that a clue? I could have done that!" Namjoon said bewildered.

"But you didn't. You had the paper with you for so long but you still didn't." The demons said and crossed his arms.

Namjoon felt a burst of anger inside him which he tried his best to control. He also felt really stupid for not thinking of this himself.

He had now wasted his clue chance over something that he could have done himself or something that would probably not help him either.

With a heavy heart he looked at the paper again, hoping it would talk back once more.

He flipped the paper and saw the numbers 1, 2 and 3 in a column.

If the quiz consisted of just those 3 numbers, the answer would have been 4 but unfortunately for him, there were 12 more symbols and numbers waiting for his attention.

He turned the paper back and has the sudden urge to play with the paper himself, but of course he needed the permission of the ogre sitting in front of him.

He lifted the paper in the air grabbing the demon's attention who was zoning out as Namjoon was taking hia sweet time with the quiz.

"What is it mortal?" The demon ask his voice sounded angry.

"Can I make more folds on this paper?" Namjoon asked waving the paper around.

"Yes you can and please if you think that you can't do this then don't waste my time and get out of here." The demon spoke in fury, his patience at bar now.

"These quizzes have no time limit so I can take as much time as I want." Namjoon answered calmly before diving back into the paper leaving the demon more furious.

Like the demon had folded the fourth column part Namjoon decided to fold the fourth row part too.

After cleanly folding it, Namjoon could see a nine into nine structure which looked something like this.

🔒🔒5️⃣
🔼🔒7️⃣
🔼🔼2️⃣

He looked at the numbers on the third column and something clicked, he then unfolded the road that he had folded a few seconds ago and his theory seemed confirmed.

The two locks like symbols indicated that there were no numbers there whatsoever, the seven in the second row was the sum of 5 from the first row and another two that the triangle symbol provided.

Lock present in the second row symbolised that the first row was now in significant. Therefore the nine on the fourth row was the sum of 7 and 2 from the second and third row and the lock there symbolised that no number carried or stored there. Whereas the triangle in the fourth row symbolised the series. That if there was a fifth row, the number would get stored again.

That made the quiz a little harder but seeing 1 2 and 3 on the fourth column, Namjoon could easily make out what the last digit was.

"5" he said confidently looking at the demon.

The demon smiled in relief that could go out of there and snatched the paper out of the boy's hand.

"No one ever took so much time for this quiz." Namjoon sighed as the demon went away.

The quiz was a mixture of Fibonacci series and a throw off of lock and store.

He was now thankful for asking for that clue because without that he wouldn't have been able to understand what the question was asking.

With a tired expression, he now waited for the fifth demon to come and give his second last task for the day.