37

This was the first night when Namjoon had stayed up with Hyeri. Mostly because Hyeri made him promise that he won't let her sleep.

It was no longer dark but the sun wasn't up either. Hyeri's head was on Namjoon's lap, something that he made her do it because of her leg.

Talking about her leg, Namjoon saw how poorly it was packed up because of the dark. They had tried to use leaves as bandages but it kept falling off.

He wished he could give her a proper treatment but this was the best he could do and it still wasn't enough.

The only thing that actually helped him was the light from the lamp. He wondered how he would have treated her leg without it, he was thankful for it.

He looked at Hydro who was thinking something, lost in her own world. He didn't like her doing that. It would always lead her into worrying about things and overthinking.

But this was the first time in a while where Hyeri wasn't fighting him off to leave her alone, it was peaceful and he really loved the feeling her being so close to him for some reason.

The whole night was magical for him.

From completing the challenge as a whole to staying awake with Hyeri under the light of that lamp whose light never went out, it was all very special to him.

Under that light, he saw Hyeri as a new person. The golden outline of her face each time he would bring the light closer to her and being in charge after so many days brought out something in him again.

He only felt it before when Hyeri was extremely sick and even though he didn't like the fact that it only happened when Hyeri was sick or hurt, he wanted to take care of her even when she was healthy and fit.

He wanted it to be a mutual thing bir with Hyeri hiding so much from him, he would always be the lesser one.

"Hyeri? I am going to keep the lamp back." He said as his hands brushed the hair out of her face.

"Can't we keep it? It's a nice lamp."

"Why so you could look at my lips at night when I sleep?" She took a sharp breath and he just chuckled seeing her get so flustered again.

"And no, I told them I would give the lamp back Hyeri. It is not ours to keep." Hyeri hummed and lifted her head to give him space to stand up.

"You really hate lying right?" She asked the boy who looked extremely large next to her as she was still lying down.

"Yes I do. I hate lies and lying."

"You must hate me too then." She said turning her face to the sun that was starting to come up.

Namjoon smiled sadly and walked towards the building to keep the lamp back.

His silence really bugged Hyeri, if he didn't hate her, he would have told her.

He kept the lamp exactly where he was told and made his way back to where he had left Hyeri only to find her sitting up and touching her wound. There was dry blood all around the injury.

"Don't. It will burn." He said squatting next to her.

"You know, I was not really sad about my reality because I had them, my legs. They would take me everywhere and help me run away from danger. But now my foolishness caused this." She said with a pout.

"It wasn't just your legs Hyeri. Your senses helped you, and you still have them. If you want to walk, I will help you. If you sense danger, we'll run together." Namjoon said ruffling her hair.

"I will hold you back, I can't walk." Hyeri said as sadness bloomed in her voice.

"We started with four functional legs and we still have three." He said wiggling his brow.

"First, let's eat and then we can figure how to go on." Hyeri nodded and took
her sling bag.

Hyeri was still very pessimistic about making it work out. As they were having their breakfast, she decided to voice out her worries again.

"Namjoon, go ahead without me. I will catch up when I'm all better and can walk. I'll be fast and come to you."

"You're a liar. If you think I'm going to believe anything that comes out of your mouth without any proof then you're wrong." That hurt her. All the walls that she had put up, were on the verge of breaking down.

She wanted to have a peaceful journey but it seemed like she was the only one who wanted that.

"Are you done?" Namjoon asked her and she nodded, hoping her eyes were not betraying her and giving away her pain.

"I think I know just how to make this work." He said as he took out the spare cloth from her sling bag.

It was a long dusty cloth that Hyeri had found lying on the roadside near the place where people dumped their wastes and she decided to keep it in case she needed it in future and she did.

"This is the first time when I see your being short as an advantage." Namjoon mocked as he was tying her injured right leg to his left.

Her right ankle was now secured tightly next to his calve.

"I'm going to lift you up now. If you feel pain or the knot too tight, you let me know alright?" She nodded and felt his hand go around her, securing her before picking her up but before he could she stopped him.

"Let me pick my bag first." She said as she tried hiding her face from him which was red from this not so sudden closeness.

After she had hanged her sling bag around her shoulder, he hugged her again and picked her up successfully.

This arrangement worked for Hyeri as her wound was mostly not affected and so was their pace.

This arrangement worked for Namjoon as well as he could take care of Hyeri with him being in charge.

Both of them set out again for the day hoping her leg would be alright.