61

Namjoon didn't know from where to start.

In front of him was a whole forest and even he tried going through each one of them, the probability of him finding it and going through everything else was just non-existent.

But he knew wasting time to think about the possibilities was out of question.

He had to work fast.

He looked at the map again to memorize the symbol. He then pulled a branch from the tree he was standing before and began his work.

For every tree he checked, he made a cross next to it so that he was on the right track.

For what it felt like an eternity he kept going through the forest. Hope was leaving him as he felt his body go numb after checking a huge number of trees.

Then he found it, the tree he was looking for all alone was in front of him.

He didn't know yet but he sure hoped that it was the tree he was in search of.

He walked towards it and circled around the tree to find the mark and as soon as his hand fell on the carved out lines, his eyes went big.

He had finally found it. He was looking at it.

Namjoon brushed his hand all through the symbol, a sense of accomplishment running all throughout his body.

It was hard to recognise the symbol on the trunk because it was very old but Namjoon knew it was a key like it said in the map.

The map ended. This tree was his last clue on map and probably the next clue giver.

He knew he didn't have a lot of time on hand but there was no way to figure out just how much time he had on hand.

Namjoon started searching at the bottom of the tree but found nothing. He gave his search a second go.

Still nothing.

"This can be. The map led me till here. There has to be something else." Namjoon said and looked at the map again and then at the casket that was in his hand this whole time.

Instinctively, he opened the casket and was surprised to find what was inside.

He could swear that when he had earlier opened it, the box was empty. But now there a little steel spoon type of thing inside it.

Namjoon carefully lifted the object up to see it was nothing like a spoon.

It was a tube, a flat tube with two hollow ends.

It was a spile.

Namjoon somehow knew what it was used for and immediately kept the casket on ground.

He then took the spile to the edge of the key engraved on the tree and inserted it with ease.

He then waited for quite a while but nothing came out of it.

The tree was all dried up. Namjoon felt like he was ages late to have stumble up on that tree.

He tried pushing the spile into the tree more but it had already reached it's maximum capacity.

He then tried to move it vertical and just like a key works only in a specific direction for a lock, when he pushed the exterior down, the sap started to come out.

He picked the casket in hurry and place it right below the spile after opening it.

As the level of sap rose in the casket, Namjoon felt more and more at ease.

It was another set of tasks that he had successfully completed.

After making sure the casket was completely filled, he rushed back to find the first tree that he had seen when he came to the area.

For that specific tree, he had marked it with number and Hyeri's name.

After a few minutes, he finally found it.

Now he knew he had to walk for about 150 meters but he wanted to take a shorter route just in case he was really out of time.

Knowing how Pythagoras theorem worked, Namjoon knew that if walked in correctly forty five degrees to the direction of the door, he would reach their earlier.

So far, his assumptions were correct so Namjoon had no reason to not follow his instinct.

So he started walking. He walked fast and proud.

Fearing that his time was really up, at a moment he was even running with the casket held securely to his chest.

Namjoon cursed at the size of the door, if it was some giant one, he would have known for sure where to go.

But unfortunately, it was too small to be visible from afar. He still kept running until he saw the outline of the door.

His legs wanted to stop at the sight but his mind forced them to keep running.

In that moment, Namjoon had gloomy thoughts about time going out before he gets the chance to keep the casket back.

Yet, he kept running until he reached the door.

Almost sprinting, he got in and kept the casket on the table.

He stood there silently for a moment in anticipation. In that moment, he had forgotten how to breath. All he could see was the casket.

His legs gave up and he kneeled to the ground when he finally saw the casket's outline fading.

He did it.

"I did it." he breathed out.

He passed the second mission.

Although he wished to know just by how much time he managed to save the day but he wasn't complaining.

The day was saved. No, partially saved.

He still had three more tiring missions.

If he had learned something from the first two missions was that everything was not like it seemed.

Things were laborious. Things were mind boosting. Things were hard.

He still had the spile in his hand. The strange looking pipe saved his life.

And somehow his knowledge on how to use it was a surprise to him.

Before that, he had never thought of a small device that was used to collect trunk liquids but the moment he saw it, he knew what it was.

He was amazed by the knowledge he had and hoped he'll get chance to revive everything soon.

❤️🧡❤️🧡🐢