22

Hyeri's eyes were red and swollen. It was as if all the power was taken away from her, she felt numb and so powerless that she had no intention to do anything. She was devastated.

The previous night, she had waited so patiently and with utter silence, she waited for Namjoon to come out before the dark but her heart broke when he didn't.

Like a mad person would, she started calling out for Namjoon, screaming and crying for him to stop it if it was some type of joke but in the great darkness, there was utter silence as well.

Then the bitter truth hit her, he was still inside there.

'He didn't make it. Namjoon didn't make it.'

She finally let out the tears that she was holding on for so long.

'I should have pressured him harder. I would have stopped him from going in. It's all my fault.'

She hadn't cried that hard when Namjoon came in her way to escape the place, not did she cry that much when her head felt like it would explode but now, she had lost all hope.

Namjoon would not make it out of that universe and she felt terrible. She felt extremely angry at herself and would do anything to save him if she could.

Burying her face on her knees she let out a scream again, feeling more broken than ever.

Her existence felt useless and she didn't know what to do now, where to go and how to survive.

Everything had just become a thousand times more harder than ever, and for someone who was always prepared for anything that life threw at her, for the first time in forever, she was not prepared to lose Namjoon inside the maze.

She always thought he would make it, provided he had enough time but alas, he didn't.

She kept crying and felt like she had heard someone call her name, but ignored it as the pain in her heart was much more stronger than any of her sensory organs.

"Hyeri" she heard it again, feeling a warm sharp thing poking her arm.

She looked up and saw a girl standing in front of her with a long rod.

But she knew, this wasn't an ordinary girl.

"You look terrible." The girl said, "follow me." She turned and began walking.

"W-who are you?" Hyeri asked, still stuck to the ground.

"I'm a hemela, you already know that so don't waste time." She said gesturing her to stand up.

"Where are you taking me?" Hyeri enquired.

"You both ask a lot of questions. Just follow me."

"Both? Namjoon?"

"You know better than to ask questions. After all time is running out and your window is on the verge of closing." The hemela said hitting the ground with her rod two times making the heavy door which was in a form of an ordinary wall open.

"I know that you can't do anything to me without informing me whatever is going on. I know the laws." Hyeri said with her bloodshot eyes.

She didn't know what was happening but she was sure she will not move until she had some answers.

"Hyeri it's in your and the boy's best interest if you hurry, the hearing is in 5 minutes and Namjoon is ready for it.  Don't hold him back if you both are innocent." The hemela started walking again.

If what she said was supposed to make Hyeri feel better or understand the situation, it didn't. Instead now, she was more scared. Hearing? Innocent? Namjoon? She kept thinking what was the issue about.

Her instinct kicked in and her legs started following the devil without any second thought.

"How is he? Is he ok?" She asked the demon in front of her, fear but fearless.

"He is still in one piece." The hemela shortly replied.

"Can you please just fill me in? I am very scared and being back in this place is not helping." She said feeling chills run through her spine as she walked through the last path.

"We will reach there in a bit so how about you shut up and let me do my work?" The demon rudely replied, not stopping for Hyeri who was falling behind.

Soon enough, they turned to a corner that was new for Hyeri.

"Has this always been here?" She asked looking at the grey wall, all too different from the rest of the maze.

"This is a forbidden path, invisible for everyone but demons."

"Why am I here then?" Hyeri asked.

"If you ask another question, I'm going to put you on a death row for charges you don't even know the names of."

"Try me. I know the law that governs this place." Hyeri replied, now getting angry at her host.

"I'm sure you do, the great Hyeri. The only one who remembers everything about your previous life. But Hyeri you forget that this is no Earth, and I don't adore my life like humans do. I can single-handedly end you and your Namjoon's life. So watch your mouth, don't run it in front of someone who is not your ally."

Hyeri's eyes dropped down, the blood in her veins boiling and her hands folded into two fists. The only thing that held her back was her concern for Namjoon's safety.

Even though she tried to put a strong front, she was devastated from inside and she knew the demon knew that.

Ever since Hyeri got there, she was known for her impeccable memory. So strong was her memory that when she came here, the demons were surprised with her general knowledge about the world she came from and the world she would sadly end up living for all eternity if not escape it.

Hyeri also had good enough knowledge about all the other universes, making it a lot easier for her to pass the challenge.

But with great knowledge, there comes great responsibility. And unfortunately for Hyeri, she had the worst luck in the entire world.

Hyeri, who was now quiet and following the demon, knew that this would be a test that she had no idea about, that was something that scared her the most.