77

Hyeri was taking her afternoon nap and Namjoon was staring at the big map.

The morning had been lovely for him. He woke up with Hyeri snuggling onto him as if her life was depending on it, he had initially fallen asleep with a big distance from her.

Then Hyeri got really excited while picking the berries. Her face looked joyous for the first time ever since she woke up.

The two of them then took turns to take baths in the lake and surprisingly Hyeri was more willing to follow all his instructions carefully.

She had not taken a single break until Namjoon suggested that they should take one and as soon as she hit the ground, she drifted off to sleep.

Namjoon felt bad that Hyeri was overworking herself when she didn't even need to but he appreciated this extra time he got to plan out the rest of the journey.

Hyeri had earlier told him about the places she had already checked for the spear's part before Namjoon arrived but there were still a lot of places that he had to check.

So now he had to plan a path which will cover all the marked spots in the map and take as minimum amount of time as possible.

But walking away from the path that was created was dangerous. One could say fatally dangerous.

Namjoon would not even risk his life doing so but Hyeri's too.

Hyeri who had woken up fresh in the world and should be treated like she is the most fragile person had no idea what was coming.

And frankly, Namjoon had none either.

He looked at the girl sleeping peacefully next to him and a smile broke on his face.

His Hyeri was still fighting strong. The spirit inside her was not broken even if she had forgotten everything about her existence.

He remembered Hyeri telling him that he was supposed to tell her everything when she wakes up but when he saw her, he couldn't.

Instead, he told her some things that were irrelevant. Like him being engaged to her previously.

Maybe we wanted her to trust him. To fall into his arms, to feel safe that at least someone she knew was next to her.

Maybe he yearned for her love that he had missed so much without even realising.

Whatever it was, it created a thin wall between him and her and it is his actions that will either thicken the wall or break it apart.

He felt bad for not doing what Hyeri wanted him to do but he just couldn't.

He couldn't put the kind of pressure that Hyeri had been carrying back onto her. She deserved better than to be treated as a servant by his grandfather.

He didn't remember anything about his grandfather but with what Hyeri had briefly told him, Namjoon knew that his relationship with his family wasn't all that good.

Just the fact that Hyeri was sent here by his grandfather and that he didn't trust him enough to come after her said how feeble his relationship was with them.

Namjoon remembered that one time when Hyeri had once asked him to take his shirt off to see how much more time he had.

He looked at the sleeping girl and got curious.

Hyeri had been in that place way before Namjoon and so her time there will end before that.

But Namjoon needed to know if he had just enough.

He wanted to make a plan and for that he needed to know the time span he had.

He had to see her bare back to know approximate time but there was no way she was going to show it to him and he didn't dare to touch her without permission.

Hyeri had already told him how to read the pressure scars and he had to figure out both Hyeri's and his spots now.

"What are you doing?" He heard Hyeri looking at him and the map. Her eyes were half opened and she was still laying down.

"Just checking our location." He said and smiled.

"Are we on the right track?" She asked and sat up.

"Yes, so far."

"That's good." She spoke and yawned at the same time.

"You can sleep more if you want to."

"I don't. I feel more tired after I sleep a lot in the daytime."

"And how do you know that?" He asked.

"I've noticed it happen yesterday and the day before that." She confessed.

"Uh, I have something I need you to do." Namjoon said and she sat attentively.

"What?"

"You saw me without my shirt yesterday, right?" Hyeri nodded, curious where he was heading.

"Did you happen to see the scar on my back?"

"The red dots?"

"Yes those, can you tell me how many of them were there?"

"I don't know. There were a lot of them."

"Can you please count them for me?" Hyeri made a weird face listening to the weird request.

"Why?"

"I really need to know. Please there is no one else here." Hyeri thought for a while before nodding hesitantly.

Namjoon turned away and took his shirt off.

Soon, he felt Hyeri's soft finger roaming around his back. It tickled him and made him nervous for some reason.

He heard her whisper to herself as she counted the spots as her fingers magically moved around her back.

He almost forgot for a moment what they were doing.

"Nineteen. I count nineteen." Hyeri said and moved back.

Nineteen days were enough for whatever he was going to have to do.

But if he had just sixteen left, that meant that Hyeri had even lesser.

"Uh, Hyeri. It's important but I need to see the spots on you back too." Hyeri looked at him in shock.

"I promise it's just really important. I need to count your spots. Please trust me." Hyeri took some time to think about it but then she didn't know what was going on.

She agreed and asked Namjoon to turn away.

"You can look now." Namjoon turned slowly and what he saw broke every part of him.

There they were, distinct spots. Just five of them.

"How many?" Hyeri asked with her red cheeks and she tried really hard to cover the rest of her body with her cloth.

"Just enough to get you home my love."

My insides are eating themselves up. I hate exam anxiety.