71

Namjoon looked at the girl in front of him. She was eating the berries slowly, only biting one after she had examined every part of it.

She was going to be harder to deal with than he had imagined.

He remembered Hyeri telling him to reveal everything once she woke up so that she could get back on track immediately.

But he knew that if he tried to tell her about things so soon, she will have a breakdown.

He had decided to spoon feed her throughout their journey now like Hyeri was doing with him.

He looked at the girl again. The usual Hyeri was always quiet but this new Hyeri being quite wasn't settling well with him.

When he first opened his eyes in an unfamiliar place, he had questions. A lot of them but Hyeri was just trying to avoid him and maintain a distance between her and Namjoon.

It was painful to watch her so scared and helpless.

"When did you wake up?" He asked the first question that came into his mind when he saw her wide awake.

"Night." Hyeri replied. She had been all alone and scared for almost a day now.

"I'm so sorry it took me so long to get here." Namjoon said apologetically.

Hyeri looked at him with a confused expression. She had really forgotten about everything and Namjoon had no idea where to start from.

"I am Namjoon, your fiancé." He said it. He couldn't keep it from her like she did from him.

"My fiancé?" She said pointing at herself with her index finger.

"Yeah, we were supposed to marry."

"But I don't know you." She said with a straight innocent face that anyone could mistake for a child's.

"Do you know anyone?" He asked.

"No. Just Hyeri." She said pointing at herself again.

"Well, I know only one person and that is Hyeri too." Hyeri looked confused for a few second before finally understand what he meant.

"I don't remember you." She said making him shrug.

"It's alright. It's fine by me if you don't even want to believe me." Hyeri nodded.

"But for your own safety, I want you to stay with me and do everything I say. It's not safe outside."

"I know."

"How?"

"I went outside yesterday. It was scary. I came back." Namjoon nodded. If it were someone else, they would have gone list already but Hyeri was smart.

"Why don't I remember anything?" She asked in a very calm voice that Namjoon didn't like at all.

"It's because you've been sleeping for very long. I'll explain everything to you. Just trust me please?" He asked but Hyeri thought for a while.

"Where are we?" She asked.

"We're in the middle of a big forest. We were on our way to go home."

"Home?" Namjoon nodded.

"Yes. We need to go back as soon as possible." Hyeri nodded.

"Won't you eat too?" She said as she pushed the container towards Namjoon.

"You've been sleeping for a while Hyeri. You need more energy." He said and pushed it back to her.

"I don't want to eat more. My head hurts when I chew." She said with a small pout.

"I can massage it if you want." He said rubbing his hand on his neck, a habit of his that Hyeri forgot.

"N-no I'll be ok. Is there any water?" She asked looking around in the shelter.

Namjoon suddenly felt really sad. He wanted to make things as much easier as he could but it was going to be hard.

"There's no water here but we'll get it for you soon." Hyeri nodded.

"If your head hurts a lot, you can rest for a while." Namjoon said looking at the girl who was now massaging her forehead lightly.

"I can?" Namjoon nodded. He wasn't used to see this pure Hyeri but somewhere in his heart, he knew that she had always been like that.

Time had toughened her up and now she was in her safe shell, like a baby.

"Yeah. We're not going anywhere till tomorrow morning so you can sleep however much you want."

"What will you do then?" She asked him with her head tilted cutely.

"I'll protect the both of us." He said making her smile a little.

"You're very kind."

"Not as kind as you were to me, but I'll take it. All I want in return is for you to trust me." He mumbled quietly.

"Huh? Did you say something?"

"No. Just go rest. I'll be outside alright?" Hyeri nodded and stood up from the ground.

Namjoon packed the container from which Hyeri was eating and kept it aside to make space for Hyeri.

The shelter was really small. Not really ideal for two people to sleep in if they don't know each other.

Namjoon had slept beside Hyeri the first day she had fallen in her deep slumber but now he wanted to give her as much space as possible.

He didn't want to push himself on her. He had no rights to. Not anymore.

He made his way out of the door but before he could go out, Hyeri called out for him.

"Sir." Sir. It was something he hadn't heard her say since the first few days of him being there.

"Please. Call me Namjoon." He said wanting to create a neutral ground for the other.

"Oh ok. I wanted to ask what day is today."

"What day?"

"Yes. Day, date, year. I want to know." Namjoon didn't know what to answer.

"I have no idea." It was something he had never wondered himself.

Did days even matter in a place where everything was irregular.

"Oh." Hyeri said, visibly disappointed.

"Why do you want to know what day it is today?"

"I don't remember anything. So might as well try to learn small things." She said shyly.

Namjoon loved this about her. She was so crazy when it came to something about, she didn't know that she would give her all to know about it.

It made her special, unique. It got her in that mess he was standing on.

"I'll be outside. Call for me if you need anything alright?" Hyeri nodded before sitting down on her place.

Namjoon got out of the shelter and sat on the ground too. He had to think of a way to make Hyeri believe in him now.

Covid's a monster :(