42

Hyeri was glad that Namjoon looked way better than he did when the day had started. His pale skin finally gained some colour and he was chatting like normal.

Most of the day was over but there was still time till darkness prevent them from continuing their journey any longer so Hyeri decided to rest for a few minutes again. She did not wish to overwork the boy who was going through a big change in his body.

She fed him a few berries again even though Namjoon protested considering they didn't have much left but Hyeri assured him that there was garden that they could visit after he completes the fourth challenge.

"Should I tell you what the next challenge is about? Or do you want to wait till tomorrow? I know you get a hard time sleeping when things worry you." Hyeri asked.

"Well, I will be worried anyways considering I have to go there right after I wake up so you can tell me now." She nodded and took a deep breath before starting

"I don't really remember anything perfectly regarding this one, I mean what happened inside, but there is a cave and a man."

"A cave and a man?"

"Yeah, do you remember the old man from the famous story 'The journey to hell'?" Hyeri asked hoping he remembered as it was a very famous one and these types of things get imprinted in mind.

"Be more specific please." Namjoon said after thinking hard.

"Well in order to bring his lover out from hell or the afterlife, a man called Thunder had to cross a very dangerous lake and only one man could help him but he would only do that if Thunder answered his three questions correctly. He does answer them and successfully crosses the lake on the man's boat."

"Yeah it does ring some bells but what questions?" Namjoon asked.

"Like I told you, I don't remember." Namjoon looked at her and immediately knew she was lying, her eyes told him.

But he knew better than to start whining about her hiding things from him, not after what happened last time when he figured things out.

Some things were better off as secrets but of course not all, he needed her to trust him as much he trusted her. Even though he knew he wouldn't get anywhere without her support, he still wanted to believe that in any other alternate universe where he happened to stumble before Hyeri, he could help her escape too.

Oh how he wanted for Hyeri to escape this very madness with him. He still couldn't believe that someone like Hyeri missed her chance to live her life like it was destined.

Like how he always thought about the reasons for him to run away from his universe, he also wondered why Hyeri left her home too.

From what he knew about his mysterious friend, he could tell that she had an amazing memory. She was smart, witty, kind and philosophical. And that she was mentioned as the Great Hyeri by the demons and hemela.

In other words, if there was anyone who would be able to pass these tests and go back home, it would be this Great Hyeri.

Out of everyone who met with this terrible fate, she should have been the first one out and yet, she was stuck there forever.

Life does play hard games at you and leave you feeling terrible about doing what you do.

"Namjoon are you ok?" He heard as he felt himself being shaken.

"Y-yeah why?"

"I've been talking all this while and I bet you were lost in some other world." She said and scrunched her nose, another habit of her than he had grown close to.

"I'm really sorry," he said with an apologetic smile, "Can you please repeat?"

"It wasn't anything important, I'll tell you after you come back tomorrow. We should head out now or we won't be able to cover a lot." Namjoon nodded still feeling guilty about zoning out thinking about the very girl who was trying to have a conversation with him.

They both stood up and started walking, he noticed how Hyeri was not one bit bothered about his behavior so he decided it was best to not think of it either.

"So is this man dangerous or is he kind?" Namjoon asked.

"He's bearable. Although he can be very proud of his knowledge, he's a stuck-up man but anything better than a demon." Namjoon nodded knowing he'll rather be around a rude man than a normal demon. He had seen enough of the other kind in his previous challenges and was glad he wouldn't have to see any for the next few days.

"The cave, is it scary?" He asked again.

"It's dark there but still you can walk around but once it gets dark here, it's quite dangerous in there."

"How exactly dangerous?" Namjoon asked imagining himself in a dark tunnel.

"I don't think it will come to that since you will be entering there in the morning." She said patting his shoulder.

"Just walk straight, no matter what until you meet the man, walk straight."

"Just like the first challenge?"

"Well the first one was relatively similar than any other challenge. Here if you get lost, you won't get another chance. And even though there are a lot of ways you can reach the man, walking straight will be the most helpful." Hyeri said making the boy confused. She was telling him what to do even though she said she didn't remember anything.

"Caves are meant to connect two places together and it is rumored that once you're in this one, you travel to another universe if you stray away from your path."

"Travel to another universe?"

"Yeah, but it's a rumor. No one has ever experimented this just for the sake of staying alive and going home." She looked at the boy who looked scared now.

"It'll be alright Namjoon. Walking straight isn't something you should be worried about."

"I know. But what if the universe it gets connected to is my home universe?"

"It's not. It gets connected to the planet where extinct animals are inhabited. Trust me, you don't want to go there."