33

Namjoon was soon met with another demon. The only way he could distinguish between that demon and the previous one was because of a zit on the left corner of its lips.

It was a distinct feature and Namjoon sighed in relief knowing he had indeed finished the second quiz successfully.

The demon was sitting with a bunch of coins in front of him, not any ordinary coins but the coins were coated with gold at one side and silver at the other.

He was not told how many coins were there in front of him but he was assured each coin had two distinct sides and were either facing gold side up or silver side up.

He was then asked to take a good look at the coins for two minutes and Namjoon saw how some coins were facing silver side up and most of them were gold.

Before he could ask anything, the room went dark again taking him by surprise.

"Take coins from the piles in front of you and place them in a new pile such that the number of silver facing coins in the pile is equal to the sum of all the other silver facing coins in the rest of the piles." He heard the demon say.

He looked bewildered. There was just a little light in the room through which he could see where the coins were but all colours were dark now.

He also didn't know how many coins were there in each pile as each pile was of different height to make calculations harder.

He thought of the solution for a while but got frustrated when he couldn't find a way to do that. The task felt impossible and he was about to mess up with the piles but then he remembered something useful.

He remembered that he had counted the silver facing coins before the lights were cut off as there were really a few of them as compared to the gold ones.

If he remembered correctly, he had counted 20 silvers before lights went out so he quickly took 20 coins randomly from the piles, careful not to change the sides of the coins and placed them in a new pile of twenty coins.

The coins were all randomly picked and were randomly placed in the pile, he didn't know how many of them were silver or gold but he was pretty sure of what he was doing.

He then flipped the piles of the coins upside down and kept the pile next to originals.

He then cleared his throat and announced that he was done with the task.

The lights came on again and the demon in front of him looked at the piles with utmost attention.

He then took all the silver coins from the piles that were originally kept and Namjoon followed his every move.

There were total of 17 silver facing coins in the piles which the demon had separated and kept in a new pile.

He then looked that the pile that Namjoon had separated, Namjoon could already see that there were three gold faced coins so that automatically meant that the other 17 were silver faced.

He smiled as the demon kept his silver facing coins next to the previous one and they were both of the same height.

"Well done." The demon said before walking away leaving the coins behind him.

Namjoon still couldn't believe he was able to separate the coins with just a little bit of logic, all he had to do was pick as many coins that were there earlier and then flip them. It would work with any number of silver coins.

He examined a coin very closely, one side of the coin had a hammer and the gold facing side had a picture of an animal engraved that he couldn't recognise.

His thoughts were interrupted with another demon who was very short than the other two he has seen, Namjoon felt he was even shorter than him too.

The demon checked Namjoon out which made him shift uncomfortably.

After a few minutes of agonizing silence, the demon took a scroll out and handed to Namjoon without saying anything.

Namjoon nervously took the scroll and opened it up, it was a riddle.

Not just any riddle but it was a practical riddle with symbols and numbers only.

The combinations were confusing yet it was comforting to see something on a paper.

There was total 4 rows of combinations.

The first row had two locks like figures followed by a 5 and a 1

The second row had a triangle, another lock and they were followed by a 7 and a 2.

The third row had two triangles, a 9 and a 3

And the fourth row had first a lock, then a triangle followed by 8 and the last place was empty.

Namjoon carefully looked at the symbols again,

🔒🔒5️⃣1️⃣
🔼🔒7️⃣2️⃣
🔼🔼2️⃣3️⃣
🔒🔼9️⃣

He looked at the demon again to ask if there was any other clue as the quiz looked impossible to solve without any aid but the demon looked uninterested in him. He was brushing his moustache and looking behind Namjoon.

He looked at the scroll again, still not sure how he would do it.

The numbers and figures though followed some sort of patterns, it was still random and confusing.

Namjoon kept staring at the paper as if the paper would talk and give him the clues he desired but the paper wasn't animated.

He tried thinking of various keys to solve the puzzle but he kept getting blocked at the third line.

Following the number patter felt easier at first but the only number on the fourth line troubled him as they disregarded any theory he had.

Just like last time, he was about to give up and he this time his brain wasn't working functionally, he was sure that it could not be solved without any extra clue but that was all he had and the demon in front of him was losing his patience as time went by.