17

Namjoon tried very hard to understand what Hyeri was explaining. All he understood was that all the universes were very different from one other. Apart from human populated earth, there was  heaven-like universe where everything was good.

To balance it, there was the place where they were right now. An isolated place where the sun came out for 10 minutes. A place where the worst type of offenders were sent to.

Apart from these three, there was a mystical creature world where every species that disappeared from the rest of the universes existed along with many creatures that he thought existence in only in fantasies.

There was a complete opposite of earth to balance it, where the laws of nature were reversed. According to Hyeri, it was better than the original human planet.

Earth walkers were specifically called humans because of their significance and contribution, the best of all. Although all of them homo sapiens.

The last one was the one that overlooked the upcoming challenge. The place where greediness was the meter to judge. Where everything was either made of gold or golden coloured plastic.

A place where the most dedicated people and the most greedy sorts of people were placed together to test them. A place for those who were ready to chase the stars.

This fact kept Namjoon on the edge. From what he could make out, Hyeri told him that this is exactly what will be tested when he is in there. His determination, his ability to differentiate from gold and plastic. His ability to choose the right way out.

It was a maze. A very dangerous maze.

"Namjoon there is still around 20 minutes and the more I think, maybe we should go there in the morning." Hyeri said grabbing his arm.

"But I thought we were going to be done with it before night kicks in?" He asked, confused by her changed plans.

"Yes but the things is, that you don't make it out before it's dark, you'll be stuck there forever."

"Forever? What do you mean forever?"

Hyeri seemed troubled but she knew that she could not hide it from him. That she would have to help him with everything no matter how disgusting.

"Hyeri please tell me, it makes me more nervous when you're quiet."

"Well when you go in there, you'll find others too, others who failed to make it out in time."

"What?"

"The only reason I'm so unsettled about this area is that sometimes demons or people from the district come here to give their friends some food and other such information." She said with a pout.

"So those people are just stuck there forever?" He said looking at the the edge of the endless road.

"That is what I've been saying right?"

"W-will I see them?" He asked.

"Yes. And they'll talk to you. They can help you if they think you will help them later, that is if you don't go back to you right home. But they can misguide you too, that's based on their mood mostly."

"And you thought that wasn't a good thing to tell me?!" He was now frustrated.

"I was thinking of a way to tell you so that you could be more confident about it and use it to your advantage!" She was equally frustrated.

"Oh yeah? And this way helps?" He asked raising his voice just a bit scaring her off from the rise in temper.

"I-I'm sorry. I just didn't want to keep you in dark."

"Out of all the things that you have been hiding from me, this is the one you choose to tell me the truth about me?" He asked, his voice back to normal but she could still feel his anger.

"I'm sorry ok? I tried to think of a way to make it all better for you but clearly I couldn't so I had to tell you the truth." He noticed how they had more distance between them from when they started that conversation.

Her red nose indicated that either she was sick or on the verge of tears, a sudden memory of her weak form the night before came to his mind. He didn't realize that in that moment, he wasn't just someone who was doomed  but someone who was harsh and Hyeri didn't like it.

This was something new he learned about this very strong woman, looking at her, he could tell that this was probably the most repelled she felt except of course when he hadn't bathe for 10 days.

"Hyeri I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you. I was just really upset and didn't think whatever I was saying." He said moving towards her, she was still stuck on her place looking at the ground.

She took a deep breath, knowing that she can not let her personal feelings interfere with their quest. All the challenges were hers as much they were of Namjoon's.

"I am not hurt, I was just surprised," she said and rubbed her neck, a habit that she had picked from Namjoon.

"I would have been pretty upset too if it happened to me and I'm really sorry I should have told you everything when I was explaining it to you earlier." Namjoon bit his lips, stopping himself from saying things that he assumed were not very appropriate.

"I think I can do it, I can finish the challenge before it's night. We still have a lot of time and I feel confident." He said with a small smile.

"I don't want you to take any risk. It's better to just do it tomorrow when you have a lot of time. It's not a very small challenge like the last one was."

"Hyeri, we have more than a day left, what will we do just sit around?" Hyeri didn't know either, she was never one to waste time.

"Look, I can do this. I just have to be focused and get out of the maze before midnight."

"It's not that easy."

"I don't expect it to be." He replied.

"I don't want to lose you in there."

"You won't."