Slump

Hello everyone. I updated my previous one shot that was going to be multiple parts to just be one. I really just didn't know where to go with the story and I've been a little stuck. Mentally and creatively. But here's a little something for now. In all honesty, I'm not in an ideal space so I don't know how often I'll be posting/updating.
Content Warning: Language, Angst?, Insecurities, Hurt/Comfort
1283 words

—/—

Dating a celebrity as a regular person was...something else. Mathew had his days where he was bombarded by fans and he always interacted happily. Every so often, the press would talk with him and you were there in every situation as his own personal cheerleader on the sidelines. But most of all, you both love each other deeply and that was most important and best of all.

Today felt a little different though. You knew that a lot of his fans thirsted over him. How could they not? Hell, even you indulged yourself by watching edits of him on TikTok. But when a gorgeous celebrity tweets him directly and flirts multiple times, it hits different. Especially when this celebrity is Madison Beer. Of course Mathew never responded because he wasn't on social media nor did he care. He was currently out and soon coming home after a day of shooting. That being said, you were in the bathtub scrolling on your phone sadly. Looking at the pictures of this goddess of a woman, you began to cry.

You felt pathetic. Part of you knew he loved you literally more than anything, and that made you mad at yourself for thinking otherwise. Another side of you couldn't help but think that he'd be better off with someone else. Someone like her. You had always been the "bigger" friend in your group of friends. It's just factual, you weren't a size small. There was plenty of acne on your back, as well as stretch marks, hair, and even a few scars from your past. You have had your insecurities for your entire life, and recently (with the help of your boyfriend) you had been able to except yourself a little more.

But now, that smidge of confidence was gone. And you couldn't think positively at the moment, and you're too tired to try to challenge your thoughts.

So you sat and cried in the tub while a few candles flickered and the salts melted in the water. The water was still hot, but you shivered as you sobbed. You had put on your "nighttime tunes" playlist, but it really should have been titled "I hate myself and here are songs that make me cry even harder".

—Mathew's POV—

I had finished filming early and was very excited to get home to my beautiful girlfriend. I love (Y/N) so much, she is everything to me and more. In fact, since I got off extra early, I decided to go to an awesome jewelry store to finally pick a ring. I chose a 18k, white gold, oval diamond ring that was surprisingly less expensive than I thought. But still a lot of money but it's for (Y/N) so who cares. The band was thin but the rock was pretty big that was simply held by a firm bridge. It was perfect! I would hide it at home and wait for the right time. Which would be an upcoming picnic date I planned with the help of Pinterest and my married friends.

I arrived at home and came through the door quietly so I could surprise my lovely lover (and hide the ring). Going upstairs to find (Y/N), I hear faint music in our bedroom. Opening the door, there's no (Y/N) to be seen. Until I hear the music coming from the master bathroom. Recognizing the song "i was all over her", I instantly felt less peppy. That was one of her go-to sad songs. Shit.

I open the door and see her hugging her knees while the bathroom smelled like...me? I see the "Flannel" candle from Bath and Body Works that she said reminded her of me. The scent was mixed with the smell of vanilla from her bath salts I see near the tub. I can hear her sniffles and I take a seat next to the tub. Still not saying anything, I mirror her position and turn off the music. She looks up, jumps slightly, before relaxing again as she sees me but turned her head the other way.

"What's wrong baby?" I say quietly and gently as I place a hand on her knee

"...nothing..." She sighed before facing me again. She tried to hide her frown, but her eyes said otherwise. I simply give her a look that says she knows better.

"I just don't know why or how you like me." You whispered

"First of all, I love you. Second of all, how could you say that? What made you think that bubs?" I coo and scoot a little closer (luckily I had short sleeves on)

"I know. It's stupid." She brushed off

"Part of you may know, but obviously another part doesn't right now. And your feelings or concerns are always valid. Talk to me..." I say softly and run my fingers down her wet hair and back

"It's just...well, you're so phenomenal, Mathew. With what you've done, what you've accomplished, and you deserve better. I'm just me. I haven't done anything exciting with my career, I'm ugly, I have stretch marks, hair, body fat, acne and scars. You're literally a god. And there are plenty of goddesses who want you and that you'd be happier with."

"Woah. Baby, love, is that what you think? God, I wish you could see yourself the way I see you. I wonder all the time what have I done to deserve you? Or even be with you. You have brought me more than you could imagine. Happiness, love, and everything I could wish for. And you are absolutely beautiful. Stunning. Gorgeous! I love every inch of you. I don't give a damn about looks, but even so, I find you magnificent. All I want is you, and I am honored to have you in my life. I love you so so so so much, (Y/N)."

At this point, he also has tears in his eyes. It hurts him to see you hurt. He leaned over the edge of the tub to kiss your forehead. You both collected yourselves while your foreheads rest together. He looks into your eyes after you sit up, silently proclaiming his love and asking you to get out to join him. You start to stand and he grabs a towel for you. He sees you cover yourself up and frowns. Before wrapping you up, he lifted you chin so you look at him and so he can give you a sweet kiss.

Eventually, you make it to the bed and he helps you get dressed. He grabbed some underwear and one of his large graphic t-shirts that you stole, and helped you into them. He even combed your hair and add a little of your favorite hair product you use after showers. When your head popped out from the shirt, he kissed it and peppered all over your face with ticklish kisses. The sweet gesture made you giggle.

"There's my girl." He smiles which made you smile even more. Wordlessly and in comfortable silence as rain started to pour, he got himself ready for a relaxing day in bed. Once he was done, you were already waiting under the covers with the remote in hand. He jumped in and snuggled close to you. Once comfortable, you both agree on "Spirited Away", one of your favorite Ghibli movies.

"I love you so much (Y/N)." He told you after you hit play

"I love you too Mathew. Thank you. For everything."

"You don't have to thank me, it's my pleasure. And it really was nothing. I spoke the truth."

"Mmm." You hum contently and share a sweet, passionate, and long kiss