Music from A Million Miles Away

Another request!❤️ it's short but sweet
"spencer and y/n make each other playlists so that whenever spencer is gone on a case, they listen to songs that remind them of each other."
682 words

—/—

Spencer and you have been dating for a year and a half and it was beyond incredible. Of course there were hard times but the two of you got through it together. And with Spencer being away pretty frequently, you had decided to make each other playlists for when you can't physically be together. Like right now.

Spencer was in some small town of Kansas with the team solving yet another case. You and Spencer try to talk over the phone at least once every other day because cases are obviously time consuming. And even if you can or can't do that, every night at 9:30pm, you listen to the playlist the other made for you.

As you lie in bed, you put in your earplugs and hit shuffle on the playlist Spencer made for you. He titled it "You're my soulmate (Y/F/N)." And in it contained many sweet songs from artists like Clairo, Rick Montgomery, The 1975, Harry Styles, Adele, and random songs from random small artists. Yours for him was very similar. Then you hear the opening to one of your favorites.

• • •

Spencer just walked into the hotel room he and Derek were sharing in the small town. The team was working tirelessly and haven't slept in the last two days. But luckily, the case was finally finished and this was their last night here. So they arrived at 9:15pm. Perfect timing for Spencer to listen to the playlist you made for him about him. You titled it "forever yours, spencer reid".

I first got settled in, changed, and l went to lie in bed. As I was searching for my earplugs in my satchel, Derek came out of the bathroom door in his pajamas.

"There's a mini celebration at the bar down in the lobby. Everyone's already there, you coming?" He said

"Oh, um, not tonight. I'm just v-very tired." I lied

"Mmhm. Sure you are. You just want to get your freak on with (Y/N). I get, I get, I'll be out of your way!" He teased and shimmied his shoulders playfully. I rolled my eyes and blushed

"That's not what we're doing!!!" I whined like an embarrassed child

"It's okay pretty boy. I know how you two like to get freaky." He winked as he opened the door and left before I could say anything back. Well he technically wasn't wrong. Anyways!

I put in my earplugs, turned off the lights, got comfortable in bed, and pressed shuffle on the playlist. And in that moment, one of our favorite songs, from one of her favorite movies, started to play.

"I'm lying on the moon
My dear, I'll be there soon
It's a quiet starry place
Time's we're swallowed up in space
We're here a million miles away"

In your bed, you smiled lazily as the beautiful music and voices sang perfectly in your ears. You closed your eyes and listened, Spencer doing the same in his hotel room nearly 1,300 miles away. But it felt like a million like the song said.

"There's things I wish I knew
There's no thing I'd keep from you
It's a dark and shiny place
But with you my dear, I'm safe
And we're a million miles away"

You both could almost feel each other's presence, knowing that you're both doing the same thing. It was comforting. You smiled and softly hummed along. Spencer could practically hear your quiet humming and singing like you were in bed next to him. It was wonderful.

"We're lying on the moon
It's a perfect afternoon
Your shadow follows me all day
Making sure that I'm okay
And we're a million miles away"

You could practically feel Spencer's arms wrapped around your body. You felt his smile against your skin when he heard you weakly sing along. He told himself never sing to save him the embarrassment, but he went against that promise to himself on the last two lines of the song to sing with you. So he did even;

"A million miles away
A million miles away"