Birthday Boy

It's Mathew's 41st birthday! I'm crying but I'm sure we all are. This isn't entirely proofread but I'm posting it anyways. ❤️
866 words

—/—

"Happy birthday to you..." Is the first thing Mathew wakes up to

"Happy birthday to you..." He starts to rub his eyes and sit up. When he opens them and they find you, you're walking into the bedroom with a cupcake with one candle on a plate.

"Happy birthday dear Mathew..." He smiles at your sweet and gentle voice. You come to the bed, sit on the edge and hold out the plate.

"Happy birthday to yooooou!" You smile and he does too. Now sitting up against the head board, you both lean in to share a kiss. He holds your face and you giggle. He then pulls away to blow out the candle and goes back to your lips.

"Happy birthday baby." You coo against him

"Thank you. You didn't have to do this." He says in his morning voice

"Of course. It's my amazing, wonderful, phenomenal, loving boyfriend's birthday! It's the least I can do. And I want to." You kiss him again then put the treat on the nightstand

"What do you wanna do today?" He asks

"I don't know, it's your day. You choose." You said and snuggled into his side

"Well, with quarantine there's not much we can do. But it's nice out soooo...picnic out back?"

"That sounds perfect."

—Time Skip—

You had prepared all the food and got the fancy basket out. Mathew said he didn't need all that but you insisted. After finishing the homemade pizza, croissant sandwiches and cookies, you plated everything all nice and told Mathew to wait outside on the blanket. You packed everything up, and held out a charcuterie board in the other hand as you walked outside.

"Woah! Babe you really went all out!" Mathew laughs when you place everything down. You chuckled and took out all the food and placed it in front of you both. You took out the champagne and handed him two glasses so you could pour. You pop it and it fizzed out.

"Oh!" You both exclaimed from the loud pop and laugh. You pour the drinks, grab two strawberries from the board and plop them in.

"Cheers!" He said

"L'chaim!" You clink your glasses, take a sip and dig in

"My phone is blowing up with messages."

"Good! You deserve all the birthday wishes."

"Yeah but I only need you to have a good birthday."

"Damn right." You joke. After eating and long conversation, the sun is already close to setting. You put everything back in the basket and lay down on your back with Mathew. Hands intertwined, you continue to talk about your future together, movies, life before COVID, life now and so much more. Now that the sky is a beautiful mix of pinks, oranges, and purples, Mathew sits up. He takes a deep breath.

"You okay bubs?" You ask and lean up on one elbow while the other reaches out to stroke his back. He turns his head to look at you and he smiles contently.

"(Y/N), I cannot begin to describe how much I love you."

"I love you too." You blush and he moves his body to face you. You sit up facing him and he took your hands in his larger ones.

"Ever since we met three years ago, I have never felt better. But that was proven wrong when you agreed to date me. And from that point, I've been happier than I ever have been in my entire life. You light up my world and make me feel...beyond amazing. There's literally no words to describe it. You are the love of my life and I love you. The only thing that would miraculously make my life somehow even better and this wonderful birthday greater...is that you give me the honor of marrying me."

You are speechless and tears are spilling out from his sincere, moving words. When he reaches into his pocket you become completely flabbergasted when he presents a black velvet box with a gorgeous engagement ring.

"So... (Y/F/N) (Y/M/N) (Y/L/N), will you marry me?" He smiles with watery eyes. You can only shake your head yes and cry.

"Y-yes. Yes, yes, oh my God, yes." You chuckled weakly and grab his face to kiss him. You can taste both of your salty tears in the kiss and you still mumble yes's. You let your body fall onto his and you both and up laughing and rolling on the ground. You hug him and he hugs back just as tight. He sits both of you up and you keep yourself in his lap/embrace. He then takes the ring out and slides it on your finger. You admire the ring and smile so brightly.

"Thank you. It's beautiful." You say quietly

"You're beautiful. And thank you." He counters and lifts you up—marriage style—and takes you inside after a few minutes of quiet, calm and many kisses.

"You know, your birthday's still not over." You remind him as he carries you upstairs to your shared bedroom

"Oh yeah? But how could it get any better?" He smiles slyly

"You'll see bubs." You kiss his cheek
"You'll see."