93. Let's Chat.

"Professor," Harry said as soon as you were in Dumbledore's office. "I know we shouldn't've. We didn't mean- the cabinet door was open and-"

"I quite understand."

"You do?" You asked as Dumbledore lifted the basin and carried it over to his desk, so you and Harry followed him. Harry sat on the chair opposite Dumbledore, so you sat on the arm of his chair.

"What is it?" Harry asked, still watching the silvery water swirl around within the basin.

"This? It is called a Pensieve. I sometimes find, and I'm sure you know the feeling, that I simply have too many thoughts and memories crammed into my mind."

"That's why I always keep a notebook with me, helps me organise my thoughts." You added in understanding.

"Well, I use the Pensieve." Dumbledore explained. "One simply siphons the excess thoughts from one's mind, pours them into the basin, and examines them to one's leisure. It becomes easier to spot patterns and links, you understand, when they are in this form."

"You mean that stuff's your thoughts?" Harry asked completely fascinated by the concept so much so that you couldn't help but smile at him.

"Certainly, let me show you." Dumbledore said as he took out his wand, lifting it to his temple that was covered by his silvery white hair. As he slowly moved his wand away, somehow Dumbledore's face looked strained yet still calm. The tip of his wand now had the same substance that danced inside the Pensieve swaying lively. That was until he trapped it and it gracefully fell into the Pensieve. Swimming around before revealing Snape's face that now looked up at you.

"It's coming back." The Snape head stressed. "Karkaroff's too... stronger and clearer than ever."

"A connection I could've made without assistance." Dumbledore huffed as he dramatically looked up at you and Harry. "But never mind. I was using the Pensieve when Mr Fudge arrived for our meeting and put it away rather hastily. Undoubtedly, I did not fasten the cabinet door properly. Naturally, it would have attracted your attention."

"We're sorry." Harry repeated.

"Again."

"Curiosity is not a sin," Dumbledore shook his head. "But we should exercise caution with our curiosity... yes, indeed." Dumbledore said almost as if he was drifting into a faraway dream. He delicately prodded one of the memories and this time a young girl sprouted out of it like a hologram.

"He put a hex on me, Professor Dumbledore." The girl said, her voice not hurt but appalled. "I was only teasing him, sir, I only said I'd seen him kissing Florence behind the greenhouses last Thursday..."

"But why Bertha" Dumbledore asked her. "Why did you have to follow him in the first place?"

"Wait, Bertha?"

"Is that - Was that Bertha Jorkins?" Harry reiterated.

"Yes," Dumbledore confirmed as he poked the image of Bertha and she sank back into the water. "That was Bertha as I remember her at school. So, Harry before the two of you got lost in my thoughts, you wanted to tell me something."

"Yes, Professor, I was in Divination just now and, er, I fell asleep."

"I did too." You said when Harry stopped. You knew he felt uncomfortable telling the headmaster he fell asleep in class.

"Quite understandable. Continue."

"Well, I had a dream. A dream about Lord Voldemort. He was torturing Wormtail... you know who Wormtail-"

"I do know. Please continue."

"Voldemort got a letter from an owl. He said something like, Wormtail's blunder had been repaired. He said someone was dead. Then he said, Wormtail wouldn't be fed to the snake - there was a snake beside his chair. He said - he said he'd be feeding me to it, instead. Then he did the Cruciatus curse on Wormtail - and my scar hurt. It woke me up it hurt so back."