73. The Half-Giant.

"Hagrid!" Hermione yelled banging on the door to his hut. "Hagrid, that's enough! We know you're in there!" You started to snigger as Hermione yells at Hagrid.

"What's so funny," Harry asked realising your behaviour.

"Oh," you said still sniggering, "I just know what's going to happen next and it's funny."

"What?" Harry asked confused but slightly amused as he smirks,

"Hagrid, get out here, you're just being..." at that moment the door opened, "about t..." But the Hermione realised who had answered the door and it wasn't Hagrid. It was Dumbledore smiling down at Hermione with a twinkle in his eye.

"Good afternoon," he greeted as your giggling became slightly more audible and Harry mouthed 'You knew?' While pointing at Dumbledore and chuckling at you so you merely smiled mischievously at him.

"We... er... we wanted to see Hagrid," Hermione said a little embarrassed.

"Yes, I surmised as much, why don't you come in?"

"Oh... um... ok..." Hermione replied before walking in as the three of you walked in and you could've sworn that Dumbledore winked at you, the four of you found Hagrid sitting at his table and Harry decided to speak first.

"Hi, Hagrid,"

" 'Lo," he said looking up at the four of you.

"More tea, I think," Dumbledore said closing the door and dishing out tea to everyone using his wand. "Did you by any chance hear what Miss Granger was shouting, Hagrid." Dumbledore asked making Hermione go slightly more pink. "Hermione, Harry, Ron and (y/n) still seem to want to know you, judging by the way they were attempting to break down the door.

"Of course we still want to know you!" Harry called shocked that Hagrid would even think that. "You don't think anything that Skeeter cow - sorry Professor,"

"I have gone temporarily deaf and haven't any idea what you said, Harry," Dumbledore informed Harry who looked extremely confused.

"Er... right..." Harry replied, a smile creeping onto your face. "I just meant, Hagrid, how could you think we'd care what that woman wrote about you?" You looked up at Hagrid as if to strengthen Harry's point. Hagrid let a few tears fall from his face as Dumbledore said,

"Living proof of what I've been telling you, Hagrid, I have shown you the letters from the countless parents who remember you from their own days here, telling me in no uncertain terms that, if I sacked you, they would have something to say about it..."

"Not all of 'em," Hagrid pointed out. "Not all of 'em wan' me ter stay."

"Really, Hagrid, if you are holding out for universal popularity, I'm afraid you will be in this cabin for a very long time. Not a week has past, since I became Headmaster of this school, when I haven't had at least one owl complaining about the way I run it. But what should I do? Barricade myself in my study and refuse to talk to anybody?"

"Yeh... yeh're not half-giant." Hagrid sobbed.

"Hagrid, look at what I have for relatives! Look at the Dursleys!"

"An excellent point," Dumbledore agreed with Harry. "My own brother, Aberforth, was prosecuted for practicing inappropriate charms on a goat. It was all over the papers, but did Aberforth hide? No, he did not! He held his head high and went about his business as usual! Of course, I'm not entirely sure he can read , so it might not have been bravery..."

"Was there a point to that, professor?" You asked Dumbledore tryinv your best not to be amused by his little vignette.

"Ah, yes, the point..." Dumbledore began but Hermione interupted with a more explicit point.

"Come back and teach, Hagrid," Hermione sighed, "please come back, we really miss you."

"I refuse to accept your resignation, Hagrid," Dumbledore said standing up, "and I expect you back at work on Monday,  you will join me for breakfast at eight thirty in the Great Hall. No excuses. Good afternoon to you all." Dumbledore left the Cabin shutting the door behind him and just as Hagrid was about to speak Dumbledore walked in once again. "Sorry, Hagrid, I almost forgot, (y/n), I would like to see you in my study Thursday evening if that is alright with you?"

"Umm, yeah, sure."

"Brilliant, now I really must part." And with that he left for good.

"Great man, Dumbledore... great man..."

"He really is." You agreed smiling at Hagrid.

"Yeah," Ron sighed, "can I have one of these cakes, Hagrid?"

"Help yerself," Hagrid huffed, "he's righ' o'course, yeh're all righ'..."

You all talked to Hagrid for a bit and eventually you ended up on the subject of the second task.

"Yeh know what I'd love, Harry?" Hagrid asked. "I'd love yeh ter win, I really would. It'd show 'em all... yeh don' have ter be pure-blood ter do it. Yeh don' have her be ashamed of who yeh are. I'd show 'em Dumbledore's the one who's got it righ', lettin' anyone in as long as they do magic. How you doin' with that egg, Harry?"

"Great," Harry said before glancing at you for a second a guilty expression on his face before turning back to Hagrid. "Really great."

"Tha's my boy... You show 'em, Harry, you show 'em. Beat 'em all." Hagrid smiled.