23. First Day of School

The next morning you, Harry, Ron and Hermione went downstairs to the Great Hall. Comparing each other's timetables. "Today's not bad... outside all morning, Herbology with the Hufflepuffs and Care of Magical Creatures... damn it. We're still with the Slytherins..." Ron said examining his timetable.

"Double Divination this afternoon, " Harry groaned.

"You should have given it up like me, shouldn't you?" Hermione said pointedly. "Then you'd be doing something sensible like Arithmancy."

"What about your timetable, (Y/n)?" Harry asked.

"Same as you and Ron, I think."

"Really? Ron said taking it off of you and comparing it to his own. "She does exactly the same." Ron said, you couldn't help but notice the tone of disappointment in his voice.

*****

"Bubotubers." Professor Sprout said addressing the class, gesturing at the slug like plants in front of them. "They need squeezing. You will collect the pus,"

"The what?" Seamus asked looking horrified.

"Pus, Finnigan, pus, and it's extremely valuable, so don't waste it. You will collect the pus, I say, in these bottles. Wear your dragon-hide gloves, it can do funny things for the skin when undiluted, Bubotuber pus." Professor Sprout said before letting you all get on with it.

You were overly excited to squeeze the pus out of a slimy plant. You shared a plant with Hermione, who wasn't quite as enthusiastic as you were. "Oh... my... gosh... look at this one Hermione," you said as you squeezed some pus out of it. "It looks like Boris Johnson's hair!" You said laughing. Professor Sprout walked around the class collecting the bottles at the end. Giving you and Hermione some praise as she saw how many bottles you had filled. "Umm, Professor?" You asked,

"Yes, Miss (Y/l/n)?"

"Isn't the pus, when diluted, a remedy for stubborn acne?" You asked knowing it would give you a good first impression.

"Correct, Miss (Y/l/n)" Professor Sprout said rather loudly as she reached the front of the class. "Everyone, Miss (y/l/n) said something very important. This pus is an excellent remedy for the more stubborn forms of acne. This'll keep Madam Pomfrey happy. And hopefully stop students from resorting to desperate measures to rid themselves of pimples. Ten points to Gryffindor, for Miss (Y/l/n)'s excellent knowledge of Bubotubers pus."

"Nice one, (Y/n)" Harry said giving you a high five.

*****

Next lesson was Care of Magical Creatures. So, the four of you went down to Hagrid's hut, where he greeted you with a smile "Mornin'! Be'er wait fer the Slytherins, they won' want ter miss this. Blast-Ended Skrewts!"

"Come again?" Ron asked before Lavender Brown gave out a terrible scream. The Skrewts were zooming around in crates, there had to be about a hundred of them as well. They weren't the prettiest things. They had an end that would emit sparks and propel them forwards.

"On'y jus' hatched, so yeh'll be able ter raise 'em yerselves! Thought we'd make a big of a project of it!"

"And why would we want to raise them?" It was Malfoy, he had arrived with his chuckling sidekicks. "I mean, what do they do? What is the point of them?"

"Tha's next lesson, Malfoy. Yer jus' feedin' 'em today. Now, yeh'll want to try 'em on a few diff'rent things..." Hagrid explained all the different types of food that you could give them. The lesson persisted of complaints and yells of pain every time one of the Skrewts ends exploded.

"Well, I can certainly see why we're trying to keep them alive," Malfoy huffed. "Who wouldn't want pets that can burn, sting and bite all at once?"