104. A Growing Doubt.

After a while you started to wake up to a great commotion. Your head still feeling heavy, you didn't open you eyes. At least not until the doors burst open. You sat up as the screen was pulled from around you by Bill revealing the rest of the hospital wing as well as Fudge and McGonagall, Snape scurrying behind him. You had never seen McGonagall look as furious as she did now. You turned to your side to Harry who was sat on the bed next to you looking just as shaken as you. The two of you exchanged a quick glance to one another, you tried to shrug but noticed that your arm was in a sling.

"Where's Dumbledore?" Fudge demanded as he strode over to Mrs Weasley.

"He's not here," Mrs Weasley said in a huff. "This is a Hospital Wing, Minister, don't you think you'd do better to-" But Mrs Weasley was interrupted by the doors opening once more. 

"What has happened?" Dumbledore asked as he strutted over to the others. "Why are you disturbing these people? Minerva, I am surprised at you. I asked you to stand guard over Barty Crouch-"

"There is no need to stand guard over him anymore, Dumbledore!" McGonagall said her face contorted with rage. "The Minister has seen to that!"

"When we told Mr Fudge that we had caught the Death Eater responsible for today's events," Snape began to explain, his feelings were difficult to read since his voice remained nonchalant and his face relaxed. "He seemed to think his personal safety was in question. He insisted on summoning a Dementor to accompany him into the castle. He bought it up to the office where Barty Crouch-"

"I told him you would not agree, Dumbledore." McGonagall interjected. "I told him you would never allow Dementors to step foot in the castle, but-"

"My dear woman!" Fudge yelled. "As Minister for Magic, it is my decision whether I wish to bring protection with me when interviewing a possibly dangerous-"

"The moment that - that thing entered the room it swooped down on Crouch and- and..."

"By all accounts he is no loss! It seems he has been responsible for several deaths!"

"But he cannot now give testimony, Cornelius," Dumbledore finally spoke once more. "He cannot give evidence about why he killed those people."

"Why he killed them? Well, that's no mystery, is it? He was a raving lunatic! From what Minerva and Severus have told me, he seems to have thought he was doing it all on You-Know-Who's instructions!"

"Lord Voldemort was giving him instructions, Cornelius. Those people's deaths were mere by products of a plan to restore Voldemort to full strength again. The plan succeeded. Voldemort has been restored to his body."

"You-Know-Who... returned? Preposterous. Come now, Dumbledore..."

"As Minerva and Severus have doubtless told you, we heard Barty Crouch confess. Under the influence of Veritaserum, he told us how he was smuggled out of Azkaban, and how Voldemort - learning of his continued existence from Bertha Jorkins - went to free him from his father and used him to capture Harry. The plan worked, I tell you. Crouch has helped Voldemort to return."

"See here, Dumbledore," said Fudge, you were disgusted by the patronising smile that had formed on his lips. "You - you can't seriously believe that You-Know-Who - back? Come now, come now . . . certainly, Crouch may have believed himself to be acting upon You-Know-Who's orders - but to take the word of a lunatic like that, Dumbledore-"

"When Harry touched the Triwizard Cup tonight, he was transported straight to Voldemort. He witnessed Lord Voldemort's rebirth, as did (Y/n). I will explain it all to you if you will step up to my office." Dumbledore for the first time since arriving in the hospital turned his gaze in yours and Harry's direction. "I am afraid I cannot permit you to question them tonight."