60. Have You Got a Date?

That evening you had decided that you were going to ask George to go to the ball with you. Besides anything else you really wanted to prove Ron wrong. "Hey, George." You beamed when you found him in the common room.

"Oh, hi." He replied, sounding like he was in a world of his own.

"So, just out of curiosity... Do you have a date to the ball yet?"

"Umm..." George looked as though he was contemplating how to respond to what you had just said. It wasn't that hard a question to answer so what was taking him so long? Eventually George came back and looked down at you. "Yes... yes I do actually."

"Oh..." You swayed unsure how to get yourself out of the awkward situation.

"What about you?"

"Erm... er... not yet... just weighing my options... You know... speaking of which I might just... umm... bye..." You stammered before swiftly leaving the common room and going for a walk around the Castle. When you reached the lake, you sat down by the nearest tree and sighed. "So much for getting a date..."

"(Y/n)?" Someone asked, you looked around and saw Cedric Diggory towering over you.

"Oh, hey Cedric."

"What are you doing down there?"

"Feeling sorry for my lonely self." You replied getting up so that you could talk to him.

"Why? You seem to be always around other people when I see you."

"It's not that kind of loneliness I'm talking about, I just mean, no one is going to ask me to the Ball, the only person that would is already going with someone... so..."

"Well, you never know..." Cedric sighed, "In fact since I now know for sure that you're not going with anyone else, and I've finally got you alone... Would you like to go with me?"

"Wh-what?" You asked completely knocked out of your senses.

"(Y/n), would you like to go to the Yule Ball with me?" Cedric repeated making himself clearer this time.

"Cedric... You don't have to pity me..." You said "I'm sure there are plenty of other people you'd like to go with..."

"Actually, no, it's not a pity date. I'd actually really like to go with you, I tried to talk to you all day yesterday, but you were always with Harry and Ron."

"Oh." You said alarm bells suddenly going off in your head. "That's really sweet of you Cedric and I would really enjoy that, but I can't."

"But you said..." Cedric replied very confused all of a sudden.

"Yeah, I know, but it's just... I couldn't... it wouldn't be right." You said trying to come up with an excuse. You'd love to go with him, because, well, look at him. But you couldn't put yourself through that guilt. And Cho can't be available for Harry so there were too many factors going against you. "Maybe in a different reality we could but... I'm sorry."

"No... that's fine, at least you're honest." He sighed. Honest. The one thing you didn't feel right now.

"Why don't you ask Cho Chang, she pretty, a seeker, like you and a little closer to your age than I am." You suggested.

"Actually, yeah, that's a brilliant idea, (Y/n)" Cedric said smiling at you.

"Yeah, I heard that she's still available so you should totally go for it."

"Maybe, I will, thanks."

"No problem," you said before deciding to go up to your dorm and call it a night.

*****

That evening in your dorm Hermione ran into the dorm and sat on her bed with her hands on her face in shock.

"Are you alright, Hermione?" You asked unsure how to react to her strange behaviour.

"(Y/n), you'll never guess who just asked me to the Ball." Hermione said slowly as if listening to the words that had come out of her mouth for the first time.

"Viktor Krum?"

"Yes!" Hermione said shocked. "How did you know?"

"Oh, Hermione, it was obvious." You said. "He was always going to the library to see you. You said it yourself, he could easily read on 'his stupid ship' to use your exact words, but he didn't. Plus, he was only ever really there when you were, even I could put that together."

"Oh, but I don't want you to tell anyone, Ginny knows, but I don't want anyone else to because well Viktor is..." But you never got to find out what Viktor was because the door to the dorm opened and Lavender and Parvati came in giggling as usual.

"Oh hello, (Y/n), Hermione, what are you two talking about?" Lavender asked.

"Nothing just getting ready for bed."

"Are you sure that you weren't talking about how a certain someone asked one of you to the Ball today?" Parvati pried; Hermione looked at you petrified.

"How would you know?" You asked confused they shouldn't have found out about Viktor until the Ball.

"Oh, we overheard him telling another one of his Hufflepuff friends, what's his name?" Hermione changed from fear to confusion. Krum doesn't have any friends in Hufflepuff. Then it dawned on you, they weren't talking about Viktor. "Oh, well" Parvati gave up on trying to remember the person's name but turned back to you.

"He told his friend that he had finally asked the new girl to the ball." Hermione's face dropped when she realised that they were in fact talking about you.

"Who?" Hermione questioned turning to you

"Cedric Diggory, of course!" Parvati cried with delight.

"Wait, so (Y/n) didn't tell you?" Lavender asked Hermione.

"No. (Y/n), you're going with Cedric?" But you didn't reply because Lavender didn't give you the chance.

"No, that's the best bit! She rejected him. Like who does that?"

"But then it got us thinking." Parvati continued. "That it could only mean that she already has a date, and we want to know who it is."

"You're wrong, actually." You finally spoke for the first time since that they had walked in. "I don't have a date, I just didn't want to go with Cedric, is that ok?" You asked and they continued to start at you. They either didn't believe you or thought you were insane, possibly both. But you didn't care so you decided to retire for the night.