57. What's the Yule Ball?

On Thursday you had Transfiguration and you were sat next to Hermione. Towards the end of the lesson McGonagall shouted. "Potter! Weasley! Will you pay attention!" Harry and Ron instantly jumped. Stopping their mini sword fight with a couple of Fred and George's fake wands. "Now Potter and Weasley have been kind enough to act their age, I have something to say to you all.

"The Yule Ball is approaching, a traditional part of The Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialise with our foreign guests. Now the Yule Ball is open only to fourth-years and above, although you may invite a younger student if you wish.

"Dress robes will be worn, and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight, in the great hall. Now then..." McGonagall turned and suddenly looked at the class looking very stern. "The Yule ball is of course a chance for us all to... er... let our hair down. But that does NOT mean, that we will be relaxing the standards of behaviour we expect from Hogwarts students. I will be most seriously displeased if a Gryffindor student embarrasses the school in anyway." As soon as McGonagall said that the bell rang and the whole class rushed to pack their bags and leave.

"Potter, a word, if you please." McGonagall called so you, Ron and Hermione left to wait outside the class for him. When he left the room, he did not look happy.

"I have to dance." Harry moaned.

"You have to what?" Ron asked.

"I need to find a partner and I need to waltz with her." Harry elaborated. "How am I supposed to do that, I don't dance."

"I say you can!" You almost sang but there was an awkward pause. "I mean... I can teach you if you want, I know how to waltz."

"You?" Ron asked.

"Hey! Yes me!" You said nudging Ron because of his offensive comment.

"But your so..."

"So... what? Ron?"

"Ummm...."

"I think what he's trying to say is umm..." Harry said trying to defend his buddy, "You just don't seem like the elegant type? ..." You just looked at Harry when he said this in a way that made him regret all his life choices. "Erm... that came out wrong... I meant... um... You..."

"Keep this up, you're doing very well," you said unable to be more sarcastic if you tried.

"Umm... It would be really nice if you could teach me, thanks (y/n)." Harry said awkwardly trying to redeem himself.

"That's better." You praised patting him on the head.

*****

"Why do they all move in packs?" Harry asked you and Ron as another group of giggling girls walked pasted you making you roll your eyes. "How're you supposed to get one on their own to ask them?"

"Lasso one?" Ron suggested. "Got any idea who you're going to try?" Harry didn't answer but you knew perfectly well who he wanted to ask.

"You guys are making this so much more complicated than it has to be."

"Okay, (Y/n), why don't you ask someone?" Ron challenged.

"Maybe I will, but not until after Harry has had his first dance lesson." Harry moaned in reply.

"If I don't get a partner then there won't be any point."

"Listen, you're not going to have any trouble. You're a champion. You've just beaten a Hungarian Horntail. I bet they'll be queuing up to go with you." Ron said, he was right because during lunch Harry had to reject a Hufflepuff third-year.

"Oh, that's brilliant!" You laughed. "Oh, guys" you said addressing Ron, Dean and Seamus, "please taunt him about this during History of Magic. I wish I could, but I've got tutoring so see ya. Byyyyeee Harry." You teased shuffling Harry's hair as you went to your clearing.

You didn't have to learn anything new this time. Instead, you practiced what you had mastered last time.

*****

Before heading back to the common room, you went to Professor McGonagall. You needed to ask her for something to play waltz music with. When she asked you what it was for you told her that you were going to teach Harry how to dance. She wished you good luck and said that you could use the old-fashioned gramophone for as long as you needed.

When you got back to the common room Harry, Ron and Hermione were talking on the sofa. Surprisingly, the common room was empty except for them.

"Hey guys," you said placing the gramophone on the nearest table that wouldn't collapse under its weight.

"What?" Ron began, "is that for?"

"It plays music, Ron, it's for when I teach Harry to dance." Harry suddenly looked petrified with how serious you were about this,

"I... er... where did you get that?"

"McGonagall said I could use it."

"And you're sure it won't explode?" Ron asked.

"What?" You said absolutely perplexed by that question.

"Honestly, Harry, I think you should be thanking (y/n) for her efforts." Hermione stated, "besides, you put the same amount of effort into the Quidditch lessons you do with her."

"That's what I'm worried about." Harry replied making you snigger.

"Where is everyone anyway?" You asked.

"There all outside, or in the Great Hall" Hermione replied. "They're all trying to be noticed so that someone can ask them to the Yule Ball or something. Many people have got the lower years to hold up banners and stuff." Hermione said appearing to be very unimpressed by this.

"Which is why you three are up here?" You asked and all three of them nodded. "Ah, love it, but as much as I do love all three of you here, I think it's best if it was just me and Harry while I teach him. "

"Awh but I want to watch." Ron moaned.

"Exactly, Ron, the last thing Harry needs is you making fun of him and making him lose concentration."

"I understand," Hermione said, "I'll be in the library, if anyone needs me." After she said that she left through the portrait hole, so you turned to Ron now beginning to grow impatient.

"Alright, alright, I'm going, I'll be in our dorm with Dean, Seamus and Neville, I'm pretty sure I saw them go that way earlier."

"Okay, but no peeking, I know what you guys are like."

"Yeah, okay, (Y/n)." Ron said as he too left the common room.

"Well, you ready, then, Harry?"