20. The Great Hall

At the gates you all stood, drenched in water, waiting in the Entrance Hall, so you could get to the Great Hall.

"Blimey" Ron gasped "if that keeps up, the lake is going to overflow top I'm soak... ARGH!" A large red water Balloon landed on Ron's head, making you have to stifle a snigger. Another balloon fell narrowly missing Hermione, like the book had said. But that meant that instead of landing on the floor it hit you, sending a chill down your spine. You, unlike Ron, found it rather funny and looked up to see Peeves the poltergeist laughing as well.

"PEEVES" An angry voice yelled "Peeves, come down here at ONCE!" It was Professor McGonagall running into the Entrance Hall. Slipping on the wet floor, using Hermione to stop her from falling to the floor. "Ouch... sorry, Miss Granger.

"That's alright, Professor."

"Peeves, get down here NOW!"

"Not doing nothing!" Peeves blundered throwing a water balloon at a group of fifth year girls. "Already wet, aren't they? Little squirts! Wheeeeeeeeee!" He squealed throwing another one at some second years.

"I shall call the headmaster! I'm warning you Peeves." Peeves stuck his tongue out before floating up the stairs and throwing his last balloon.

"Well, move along, then! Into the Great Hall, come on!" McGonagall yelled as you were hustled into the Great Hall.

The Great Hall was incredible. It looked massive even with the four gigantic tables, one for each house, cramped into it. At the far end there was another table, the staff table. In the centre of the table was a beautiful golden chair which Professor Dumbledore was sat in it.

The four of you sat at the Gryffindor table next to Nearly Headless Nick. "Good evening." He greeted.

"Says who?" Harry huffed releasing the water that was trapped in his shoe. "Hope they hurry up with the Sorting, I'm starving." So, were you, you hadn't noticed until Harry mentioned it? But your stomach was beginning to make funny noises which you hoped no one would notice.

"Hiya, Harry!" A breathless yet still bubbly voice said somewhere behind you.

"Hi, Colin." Harry said attempting a smile to the poor boy in front of him. When you turned to see Colin, you realised he was awfully close so turned back around to look at Harry who was in front of you.

"Harry, guess what? Guess what, Harry? My brother's starting! My brother Dennis!"

"Er... Good"

"He's really excited! I just hope he's a Gryffindor! Keep your fingers crossed, eh, Harry?"

"Er ... Yeah, alright" Harry said looking back at you, Hermione and Ron, who was sat next to him. "Brothers and sisters usually go in the same houses, don't they?"

"Oh, no, not necessarily. Parvati Patil's twin's in Ravenclaw, and they're identical, you'd think they'd be together, wouldn't you?" When Hermione said this Harry looked over at the staff table.

"Where's the new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher?" He asked.

"Maybe they couldn't get anyone!" Hermione said.

After a while, Professor McGonagall walked in with the first years. McGonagall placed a stool in front of them and put an old, battered hat on the stool. After a short pause, the hat sprung to life and started to sing a song:

"A thousand years or more ago,
When I was newly sown,
list for wizards of Renown,
Whose names are still well-known:
Bold gryffindor, from Wildmoor,
Fair Ravenclaw, from Glen,
Sweet Hufflepuff, from Valley Broad,
Shrewd Slytherin, from Fen.
They shared a wish, I hope, a dream,
They hatched A daring plan
To educate young sorcerers
Thus Hogwarts School began.
Now of these four founders
Form their own house, for each
Did value different virtues
In the ones they had to teach.
By Gryffindor, the bravest were
Prized far beyond the rest;
For Ravenclaw, the cleverest
Would always be the best;
For Hufflepuff, hard workers were
Mostly worthy of admission;
And power-hungry Slytherin
Love those of great ambition.
While still alive they did divide
Their favourites from the throng,
Yet how to pick the worthy ones
When they were dead and gone?
'Twas Gryffindor who found the way,
He whipped me off his head
The founders put some brains in me
So I could choose instead!
Now slip me snug about your ears,
I've never yet been wrong,
I'll have a look inside your mind
And tell where you belong!"

When the hat had finished everyone in the Hall erupted with applause. "That's not the song it sang when it sorted us," Harry said also clapping.

"Sings a different one every year." Ron stated.

"Has to be a pretty boring life, you know, being a hat and all." You said plainly.

"Yeah, I suppose it spends all year making up the next one." Ron agreed. You didn't pay much attention to the Sorting. You cheered whenever the hat yelled Gryffindor but that was it. When Dennis Creevy was sorted you paid a little more attention as his brother pointed out Harry to him.

Seeing him made you think about you dream, trying to figure out what it meant. Maybe I'll tell Dumbledore about it, not in a lot of detail, but he'll know what it means. Mind made up you realised the last person had been sorted into Hufflepuff. And Professor Dumbledore rose from his seat. "I have only two words to say to you... Tuck in."

"Hear, hear" Harry and Ron said together.

Every plate was filled with glistening food. You dug in straight away like Harry and Ron, gasping after every delicious mouthful.