21. The Triwizard Tournament

"So!" Dumbledore said after every plate was once again swept clean. "Now that we are all fed and watered, I must once more ask for your attention, while I give you a few notices. Mr Filtch, the caretaker, has asked me to remind you that the list of objects forbidden in the castle has this year been extended to include Screaming Yo-yos, Fanged Frisbees and Ever-Bashing Boomerangs. The full list comprises some four hundred and thirty-seven items, I believe. And can be viewed in Mr Filtch's office if anybody would like to check it." Dumbledore said clearly repressing a laugh.

"As ever, I would like to remind you that the forest in the grounds is out-of-bounds to students. As is the village of Hogsmeade to all below third year. It is also my painful duty to inform you that the entire house Quidditch Cup will not take place this year."

"What?!" Both you and Harry said at the same time... again. You looked at Fred and George, both had their mouths open like goldfish, stunned into a furious silence.

"This is due to an event that will be starting in October, and continuing throughout the school year, taking up much of the teachers time and energy... But I am sure you will enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts..." at that exact moment, an ear-piercing crack erupted above you. The doors to the Great Hall slammed open and a man was stood in between them, wearing a massive coat.

Everyone was looking at the stranger who stood before them. Then suddenly, lightning flashed across the ceiling reflecting light upon the stranger. He had long dark grey hair that flew behind him as he walked down the gaps between the tables. His fake leg echoing across the hall.

"May I introduce our new defence against the dark arts teacher, Professor Moody." Dumbledore announced when Mad-Eye finally reached him. No one clapped except from Dumbledore and Hagrid.

"Moody? Mad-eye Moody? The one your dad went to help this morning?" Harry asked.

"Must be." Ron said.

"What happened to him? What happened to his face?" Hermione asked.

"Dunno?" You replied, shrugging. Dumbledore cleared his throat and continued,

"As I was saying, we are to have the honour of hosting a very exciting event over the coming months. An event which has not been held for over a century. It is my very great pleasure to inform you that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year."

"You're joking." Fred yelled loudly causing the whole hall to laugh.

"I am not joking, Mr Weasley, though, now you mention it, I did hear an excellent one over the summer about a troll a hag and a leprechaun who all go into a bar..." Professor McGonagall cleared her throat very, and I mean very, loudly. "Er... but maybe this is not the time... no... where was I? Ah yes, the Triwizard Tournament... Well, some of you will not know what this Tournament involves, so I hope those who do know will forgive me for giving a short explanation and allow their attention wander freely." And you did just that, you don't even remember drifting off. But you must have because the next thing you heard was Fred hissing that he was gonna go for it.

"Eager though I know all of you will be to bring the Triwizard Cup to Hogwarts, the Heads of the participating schools, along with the Ministry of Magic have agreed to impose an age restriction on contenders this year. Only students who are of age, that is to say, seventeen years or older, will be allowed to put forward their names for consideration. This..."

Everyone started to moan, especially the Weasley twins, causing Dumbledore to have to raise his voice. "... is a measure we feel is necessary, given that the Tournament tasks will still be difficult and dangerous, whatever precautions we take, and it is highly unlikely that students below sixth and seventh year will be able to cope with them. I will personally be ensuring that no underage student hoodwinks our impartial judge into making them Hogwarts champion. I therefore beg you not to waste your time submitting yourself if you are under seventeen." Dumbledore's eyes seemed to stray over to Fred and George.

"The delegations from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving in October, remaining with us for the greater part of this year. I know that you will all extend every courtesy to our foreign guests while they are with us and will give your wholehearted support to the Hogwarts champion when he or she is selected. And now, it is late, and I know how important it is to you all to be alert and rested as you enter your lessons tomorrow morning. Bedtime! Chop, chop!"

Everyone got up and started to exit the Hall, the Prefects went to show their first years where to go. But you and the others stayed to let the crowd go down a little.

"They can't do that!" George said still sounding outraged moving over to the empty seat next to you, nudging you a little. Fred joined him on the opposite side of you next to Harry.

"I think you'll find they can." You said, nudging him back.

"But we're seventeen in April, why can't we have a shot?"

"They're not stopping me entering. The Champions'll get to do all sorts of stuff you've never be allowed to do normally. And a thousand Galleons prize money!" Fred said stubbornly.

"Yeah," Ron mumbled " yeah, a thousand Galleons..."

"Come on, we'll be the only ones left if you don't move." Hermione said raising from her seat, you all followed as you headed to the Entrance Hall. But before you could leave you were stopped by Professor McGonagall.

"Not you, Miss (Y/l/n), Dumbledore would like you to see him in his office, if you would follow me, now." She said walking off, you looked at the others who just shrugged and gave you a reassuring smile. "Miss (Y/l/n)!" McGonagall yelled before you ran to her side awkwardly, going back to the office you knew very well.