84. Nosy.

The next morning after breakfast you, Harry, Ron and Hermione decided to give Hedwig a letter they wrote for Percy asking about Crouch just as Sirius had suggested. You then made your way back to the kitchens so that Harry could give Dobby the socks he had bought for him as a thank you for the Gillyweed. Dobby was very pleased with his gift.

"Harry Potter is too good to Dobby!" Dobby grinned tears of happiness filling his eyes.

"You saved my life with that Gillyweed, Dobby, you really did." Harry insisted.

"You're a real hero, Dobby." You smiled honestly at him and he grinned bashfully back at you.

"No chance of more of those éclairs, is there?" Ron asked the other house-elves.

"You've just had breakfast!" Hermione criticised Ron but you couldn't help but laugh at his appetite, plus, who doesn't like éclairs?

"We should get some stuff to send to Snuffles." Harry mumbled to you as took a bite into an éclair.

"Yeah, we should." You agreed. "Is it ok if you could get us a little bit more food please?" You asked the house-elves."

"Pig could take them, it'll give him something to do." Ron contributed.

"Dobby, where's Winky?" Hermione asked Dobby.

"Winky is over there by the fire, miss." Dobby told Hermione sadly.

"Oh, dear." Hermione huffed, so you looked over to the fireplace where you saw Winky sat there looking as if she hadn't moved at all, in fact you were positive that she hadn't moved since the last time you had seen her. The only difference this time was that she was grubbier and had a bottle of Butterbeer in a tight grasp and you suddenly jumped at the sound of Winky hiccoughing.

"Winky is getting through six bottles a day now." Dobby whispered to you and Harry.

"Well, it's not very strong, that stuff."

"It would be for them." You corrected. "House-elves are more petit than wizards."

"Exactly, miss." Dobby nodded. "Winky is pining, Harry Potter, Winky wants to go home. Winky still thinks Mr Crouch is her master, sir, and nothing Dobby says will persuade her that Professor Dumbledore is her master now."

"Hey, Winky," Harry said softly as he kneeled in front of Winky. "You don't know what Mr Crouch might be up to, do you?" Harry asked her and she looked at him confused so you crouched down next to Harry.

"You see," You said starting to elaborate Harry's point. "Mr Crouch has stopped turning up for the Triwizard Tournament, and no one really knows why."

""M-master's is stopped -hic- coming?" Winky swayed slightly as she repeated what you had said.

"Yeah, we haven't seen him since the first task. The daily prophet's saying he's ill." Harry confirmed.

"Master -hic- ill?"

"Well, that's what they're saying but..." You began

"But we're not sure if that's true." Hermione said honestly.

"Master is needing his -hic- Winky!" Winky sobbed. "Master cannot -hic- manage -hic- all by himself..."

"Other people manage to do their own housework, you know, Winky." Hermione said losing the soft tone that you and Harry had been using as she sounded as though she was scolding Winky. So you shock your head gently at Hermione to show that her tone wasn't going to help.

"Winky -hic- is not only -hic- doing housework for Mr Crouch!" Winky huffed clearly irritated by how Hermione generalised her life's work as she spilt some Butterbeer down her blouse which made you realise what all of the stains were. "Master is -hic- trusting Winky with -hic- the most important -hic- the most secret-"

"What?" You and Harry asked together anticipating what she was going to tell you; but she shock her head in an exaggerated fashion.

"Winky keeps -hic- her master's secrets." She frowned. "You is -hic- nosing, you is."

"Winky must not talk like that to Harry Potter." Dobby huffed angrily. "Harry Potter is brave and noble and Harry Potter is not nosy!" Dobby defended making you smile at Harry and you saw his cheeks blush a light pink at the way you looked at him.

"He is nosing -hic- into my masters -hic- private and secret -hic- Winky is a good house-elf -hic- Winky keeps her silence -hic- people trying to -hic- pry and poke -hic-" But Winky didn't finish her sentence, she flopped off of the chair and immediately fell asleep. Many of the house-elves ran over to clean the mess all of the looking embarrassed by Winky.

"We is sorry you had to see that, sirs and misses!" One of the elves apologised shaking her head. "We is hoping you will not judge us all by Winky, sirs and misses."

"She's unhappy!" Hermione huffed. "Why don't you try and cheer her up instead of covering her up?"

"Begging your pardon, miss." The house-elf pleaded. "But house-elves have no right to be unhappy when there is work to be done and masters to be served."

"No right?" You huffed in shock. "I'm sorry but I must side with Hermione on this one."

"Exactly," Hermione snapped. "So, listen to me, all of you" Hermione turned to the house-elves. "You've got just as much right as wizards to be unhappy! You've got the right to wages and holidays and proper clothes, you don't have to do everything you're told, look at Dobby!"

"Miss will please keep Dobby out of this." Dobby mumbled.

"We has your extra food!" A different elf said forcing Harry to take the food. "Goodbye!" The next thing you knew was that you were surrounded by house-elves who cornered you towards the exit.

"Thank you for the socks, Harry Potter!" Dobby called and it was the last thing you heard before leaving.

"You couldn't keep your mouth shut, could you, Hermione?" Ron huffed. "They won't want us visiting them now! We could've tried to get more stuff out of Winky about Crouch"

"Oh, as if you care about that! You only like going down here for the food!" Hermione countered. The rest of the day consisted of Ron and Hermione squabbling like that and no matter who you agreed with you didn't get involved. You and Harry just sat with them awkwardly. Eventually, Harry came up with the idea that the two of you should go up to the Owlery to send the food to Sirius. That way you could have an excuse to leave Ron and Hermione to it.

"Pig's not going to be big enough to carry this ham." You sighed as you made Pigwidgeon carry the cakes.

"That's cool, we'll just get some other owl to do it." Harry said, in the end you had to get two owls to carry the ham which looked very odd but you were just relieved that you could help Sirius.

"Well, that's done." You smiled. "Guess we should get back to Ron and Hermione." You told Harry trying to hide your dismay.

"Or..." Harry slurred. "We could go somewhere, just us for a bit." He suggested taking your hands in his.

"Yeah? I think I'd like that." You laughed. You and Harry walked around the castle together for a bit it was nice to be away from the bickering for a little while.

"I don't understand what's going on between Ron and Hermione at the moment."

"I wouldn't worry about it." You admitted. "They still care for each other, it's just a part of growing up. They're going to have disagreements."

"I guess." Harry bowed his head.

"Hey," You said stopping in front of Harry. "They'll be fine, they're Ron and Hermione, remember?"

"Yeah," Harry agreed and the two of you embraced each other in hug.