61. Almost Christmas...

It was the final week of term, and everyone was getting more and more excited for the ball. News of Cedric asking you to the Ball had spread like wildfire. When Harry and Ron found out they weren't really that surprised and teased you for it a bit. Fred and George were very proud of you for "crushing pretty boys little heart." But you kept insisting that it wasn't your intention because he was actually a nice guy. The Slytherins were a pain as usual. "Why would Cedric ask the freak to the ball?" One of the girls said.

"I bet that little freak was the one who asked him and twisted the story to make her look better." Pansy suggested as her gang laughed. But every time they said it and Cedric was nearby, he would stick up for you before smiling shyly and walking off.

On a slightly different note, Harry's dancing was improving as well. You were still leading, and it was starting to get harder to find time in the common room alone. But you made the most of the time that you could get. You hadn't thought of Harry the way you had the other day so dismissed them as a momentary lapse.

*****

"Evil, he is," Ron complained one evening in the common room because Snape had set a test for the last day of term. "Springing a test on us on the last day. Ruining the last bit of term with a whole load of revision."

"Mm... you're not exactly straining yourself, though, are you?" Hermione said since she was the only one out of the four of you who was actually studying. Ron was playing with his Exploding Snap cards. Harry was reading 'Flying with the Cannons.' and you were led on the sofa with you head on Harry's lap reading 'Tales and Fantasies.' which Dumbledore had lent you.

"It's Christmas, Hermione," Harry said lazily.

"I'd rather thought you'd be doing something constructive, Harry, even if you don't want to learn your antidotes!"

"Like what?"

"That egg!" Hermione said through gritted teeth.

"Come on, Hermione, I've got till February the twenty-fourth,"

"But it might take weeks to work it out! You're going to look a real idiot if everyone else knows what the next task is, and you don't!"

"Hermione!" You said sternly as you took your eyes away from you book for the first time since the conversation had started. "I know you're trying to help but pressuring him isn't going to. At least give him 'til after the holidays he deserves a break." But as you finished you sentence Ron's Exploding Snap cards, blew up, the bang had made Harry jump causing him to drop his book... onto your face.

"Oops, are you ok?" You nodded as Harry checked to see if there was any damage. But the two of you hadn't realised that the explosion had burnt Ron's eyebrows,

"Nice look, Ron... Go well with your dress robes, that well." It was Fred and George; they came over and sat in the empty arm chair. Harry had found a small cut on your nose and was trying to wipe it with a tissue. But you snatched the tissue off him and did it yourself.

"Ron, can we borrow Pigwidgeon?" George asked diverting his eyes away from you and Harry. 

"No, he's off delivering a letter, why?" Ron replied.

"Because George wants to invite him to the Ball," Fred said sarcastically.

"Because we want to send a letter, you stupid great prat," George said making you snigger and shake your head as you took the tissue off of your no longer bleeding nose.

"Who d'you two keep writing to, eh?" Ron asked.

"Nose out, Ron, or I'll burn that too," Fred said pointing his wand at his brothers nose. "So... You lot got a date for the ball yet?"

"Nope," Ron replied for you all.

"Well, you'd better hurry up, mate, or all the good ones will be gone,"

"Who're you going with, then?"

"Angelina," Fred replied looking extremely proud.

"Oh, come on, you haven't even asked her yet," you said rolling your eyes at his cockiness.

"Good point," Fred said turning and switching his gaze as he looked for Angelina before yelling, "Oi! Angelina!"

"What?" She called back to him.

"Want to come to the ball with me?"

"Alright, then" Angelina accepted before turning back to Alicia Spinnet.

"There you go, piece of cake." Fred said adjusting his collar.

"Oh yes, very romantic," you said lacing your words with sarcasm. Both Harry and George laughed at this but then stared at each other. "You know, if you guys need an owl you can use Willow, if you'd like." You suggested.

"Yeah, thanks, (Y/n), that'd be great," George said "where's she?"

"In the Owlery."

"Cool thanks." Fred said,

"Just do what you did last time," you told George, because you had let him use Willow last week. "Oh, and don't forget to whistle or she won't come down."

"Yep, okay,"

"And make sure you scratch under her beak if you need to calm her down." You added " Oh, and..."

"(Y/n)," George sighed, "I've used Willow before I know what I'm doing."

"I know but..." You tried to explain,

"It's okay, d'you trust me?" George asked.

"Yes."

"Then it'll be fine." He said smiling down at you.

"Right, umm, George," Fred said awkwardly. "Hellllloooo, earth to George! We do actually have to send this letter."

"Oh right, yes, sorry." He said before getting up and leaving with his brother.

"We should get a move on, you know... Ask someone. He's right. We don't want to end up with a pair of trolls." Ron said.

"A pair of... what, excuse me?" Hermione repeated,

"Well, you know, I'd rather go alone than with... with Eloise Midgen, say."

"Her acne's loads better lately." Hermione huffed and you could tell by the tone of her voice that this conversation wasn't going to end well. Harry had realised this too. You gave each other a look before slowly closing your books and getting up from the sofa. "And she's really nice!" The two of you began to slowly tiptoe towards the entrance to the boy's dorms.

"Her nose is off-centre,"

"Oh, I see, so basically, you're going to take the best-looking girl who will have you, even if she's completely horrible?" By the time Hermione said this you had reached the foot of the stairs to the dorm,

"Don't answer that, don't answer that." You muttered under your breathe.

"Er, yeah, that sounds about right,"

"He answered it." Harry sighed bowing his head in disappointment.

"I'm going to bed," Hermione finally snapped getting up and heading for her dorm. "Goodnight Harry, (Y/n)." She said, fully aware that the two of you had moved and the two of you waved awkwardly as she headed up. You looked at each other for a second which was enough signal for the two of you to leave Hermione and Ron alone for a bit.

"That went well." You said breathing once more as you shut the door to the dorm behind you.

"Yep." Harry agreed as the two of you sat on Harry's bed.

"Well, they'll get over it."