Your Perfect Disappointment

TRIGGER WARNING: mentions of abuse

THEMES: Angst

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

"Class dismissed." Aizawa announced tiredly before grabbing his sleeping bag and rolling out of the door for break.

Immediately the class exploded with noise. Everyone turned around in their chairs or dragged them across the room whilst talking with each other, or heading out and coming back with snacks from the cantine. There wasn't really enough time to go on a walk or something so they settled with running around the classroom.

Shoto on the other hand, just tapped his foot against the floor. Over and over in time with the second hand on the clock revealing his anxiety. If you looked at his face that was staring out the window, then you would think he was perfectly calm and simply lost in thought. But just as it turned five past the hour he got up from his seat and left the classroom, remaining undetected with his efficiency.

He walked down the corridor a little, far enough away that his class wouldn't hear him but not too far that the next one over would. Glad the hallway was empty, he slid down the lockers and onto the floor, his knees bent in front of him as he took out his phone. 

Ring ring ring.

Taking a long breath in and out Todoroki answered the call. He placed the phone on the floor next to him and waited. The first few seconds of the call were silent rather than ragged breathing and the sound of glass smashing, until-

"Shoto!"

"Hello father."

"Shoto! Answer the call quicker next time! Your reflexes should be instant if you wish to become a hero! I have trained you that way."

"I apologise."

"Do not apologise to me through the phone. Apologise to my face!"

"Yes sir."

"Shoto! Do not talk back to me! That is what your useless mother did and now she is locked away. Talk back to me and I will lock you away too for being such a disgusting child."

"..."

"Answer me!"

"Yes sir."

"I received your report card in the mail today!" Endeavour announced and the sound of shuffling papers and another glass smashing could be heard through the phone. "It says you came second in Maths!"

"Yes sir."

"To who?!"

"I don't know."

Todoroki did know who came first in Maths. It was Momo. But he wasn't going to say that and risk her and her family's safety.

"Lies Shoto! You will tell me! Now!"

"I don't know sir."

"Fine, then I will make you tell me during training! Now, when are you allowed home from the dorms?"

"This Sunday."

"That's too late! I expect you back here tomorrow as soon as school ends. And if you fail to do so then there will be severe consequences. What will your siblings think?"

"I'll be there! Sir."

"Do not shout at me boy! Know your place! This is the exact behaviour that got that pathetic child of mine killed. Do not end up like him! I forbid it! I have trained you to be perfect!"

"Yes sir."

Shoto remained quiet for the rest of the call whilst his father explained all of the training he had planned for tomorrow evening. With a few threats towards his classmates, teachers, and siblings, Shoto was beginning to panic. And then when his father brought up Touya... he knew he was crossing the line. And yet he stayed quiet. 

"Shoto! I will make you use your fire if it is the last thing I do! You are a disgrace to waste my God-given ability by rejecting this powerful quirk! I will train it into you to use my flames!"

∘₊✧─── POV CHANGE ───✧₊∘

"Hey Todoro- oh. Has anyone seen Todoroki?" Midoriya asked when he found his friend's chair absent.

"He left a few minutes ago." Iida answered.

"Why?"

"I'm unsure yet his expression was not a positive one."

At this explanation Midoriya frowned and got up out of his seat to see where his friend had gone. Yet, as soon as he opened the door, loud and aggressive shouting greeted his ears. His eyes widened as he realised who that voice belonged to; before he could shut the door the rest of the class were also peeping out into the corridor.

"He's sitting over there!" Kirishima pointed out, gesturing to Todoroki who was sitting against the lockers.

"Why so far away?" Mina asked, frowning as she saw the struggling expression on Shoto's face.

"Who cares why the Icyhot bas-"

"Shoto I swear if you do not comply I will train you for twice the amount of time! I will involve your siblings and you will be on house arrest for two weeks! You already over eat so I will restrict your diet until you are submissive to me! Do as I say!"

The class' eyes widened as they listened in on the call. Shoto just sat there and replied with "Yes sir" every so often, but 90% of the call was Endeavour verbally abusing and threatening his own son. Todoroki just sat there, staring straight ahead with a stoic expression until-

"Shoto! I will make you use your fire if it is the last thing I do! You are a disgrace to waste my God-given ability by rejecting this powerful quirk! I will train it into you to use my flames!"

"Stop." Shoto said quietly.

"What did you say?! How dare you!"

"Stop calling it training. We both know that doesn't work anymore. Say what it really is." 

They were expecting for Endeavour to once more lash out at Shoto and degrade him even more, but to their surprise they only heard him laugh loudly. Almost hysterically.

"You finally speak up boy. Fine, I will beat it into you. Tomorrow evening."

∘₊✧─── POV CHANGE ───✧₊∘

As soon as Endeavour hung up Shoto let out the breath he had been holding as he rested his head against the lockers. He shouldn't have said that. He should not have said that. Now he was going to be punished more severely than normal. As he let his worst thoughts get the better of him, Todoroki's panic grew worse.

He clenched his fists and let out slow breaths, telling himself to pull himself together and to get ahold of himself.

"This won't be the worst beating you've had. You won't die. Maybe..."

Footsteps coming down the corridor made his head snap up. From the sounds of it it was Aizawa: the slow steps signalling his tiredness. Shoto quickly pushed himself up and let his emotionless mask return before placing his phone into his pocket and returning to the classroom.

When he entered, he sat down just in time for their teacher to walk in. The morning lessons continued but Todoroki couldn't concentrate. He thought he would have until the end of the week- like always- before having to return to his house, but he didn't. This lack of time to once more mentally build himself up was making his anxiety go haywire. 

So, as soon as lessons finished for the day, Todoroki sped out of the classroom and over to the dorms. He reached his door and locked it behind him; nobody saw him for the rest of the day.