Personal Heater

TRIGGER WARNING: none

THEMES: fluff, TodoBaku, TodoKiri

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

Winter time at UA. A time where classrooms where too cold, school uniforms too thin, and the 5 minute walk from their dorms to their school seemed to last a lifetime. Heavy snow days meant little light and achy legs, hero training impossible due to the debilitation of their quirks. Overall, Class 1A did not like winter time at UA. 

They did however love winter holidays. Weekends making snowmen and having snowball fights, eating hot hearty meals in the evening, and then crowding in the common room for movies nights under giant blankets and comforters. 

But these rests were far and wide, Aizawa and their other teachers adamant that their learning continues even on the harshest of days. Bad weather may make petty criminals back down, but a reduction in patrolling heroes meant true villainy could occur. And, as the top hero class, it was their job to be ready to protect civilians anytime and anywhere, even when walking through half-meter high snow.

One afternoon, All Might was kind enough to book the indoor gym for his students, allowing them to work on hand to hand combat, weight lifting or agility in the obstacle courses. Heaters were on full blast and everyone was happily working out in their winter uniforms. Shoto welcomed the heat, it meant he didn't have to constantly focus on regulating his body temperature at a manageable heat, and let him improve the density of his ice so it would last longer.  

From one side of the room he could see Midoriya and Kirishima having a sparring match on the fighting mats, and on the other Momo was working on increasing her weight lifting resilience so she could control the larger items she produced more skilfully. Seeing them so motivated even in the bad weather made him smile and with extra focus he returned to the ice in front of him.

"Todoroki."

Shoto looked up to see Aizawa approaching him, looking down at his ice with an impressed expression.

"Sensei." the student greeted, returning his focus on strengthening the interlocking crystals of his ice. It took careful precision, and if he lost focus the ice could explode everywhere, definitely not something he wanted to happen.

"How is your temperature regulation coming along? Have you been working on my comments from last week?"

"Yes sir. I am more comfortable around sub-Arctic temperatures for short moments in combat, and can go even lower if I'm only focusing on regulating not fighting."

"I see. Care to demonstrate?" 

"... Are you sure?" Todoroki asked warily. "I don't want you nor anyone else to get frostbite."

"I'll erase your quirk if it gets out of hand. But this will also teach you to be wary about possible side effects of your quirk on others, especially in tight spaces."

Todoroki nodded, melting away his ice before they went to the far side of the gym. Sitting down with his back to the wall he let his body calm, his muscles untense, and mind clear; shutting his eyes, he sensed Aizawa sit nearby, his presence giving him calm reassurance.

He inhaled slowly, dropping his temperature one degree at a time with each breath. He imagined a thermostat going down, keeping his mind focused and task simple. Aizawa shivered as the air around his student went sub-zero, their breaths coming out in light fog, getting lost in the snowy particles beginning to form around them.

Todoroki could sense he was emitting too much, so paused his descent to reign in his quirk. He took the cold from the air and let it seep into his body, his core becoming an icy pillar as he dropped his temperature further.